Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opposite sleep traits

• 25-10-2020 12:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

I like to wake up gradually as the sun comes up. My partner prefers there to be no light getting in to a room at all when they sleep.

We moved a few weeks ago and only just got around to putting up the blackout blinds they require. I am SO groggy the last two days that they've been up; I hadn't realised how much there being no light changes my sleep. I guess I like to be given a bit of a warning of what time of day it is and gradually roused instead of jolting awake in darkness. In fairness though, the OH gets crap quality sleep without total darkness.

Aside from sleeping in different rooms, are there any solutions? I can't see any.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

s1ippy wrote: »
    I like to wake up gradually as the sun comes up. My partner prefers there to be no light getting in to a room at all when they sleep.

We moved a few weeks ago and only just got around to putting up the blackout blinds they require. I am SO groggy the last two days that they've been up; I hadn't realised how much there being no light changes my sleep. I guess I like to be given a bit of a warning of what time of day it is and gradually roused instead of jolting awake in darkness. In fairness though, the OH gets crap quality sleep without total darkness.

Aside from sleeping in different rooms, are there any solutions? I can't see any.

Maybe your partner could try out an eye mask to see if they're comfy sleeping with it.
    More simple perhaps is that if you go for moderately heavy curtains that aren't blackout and your partner takes the side of the bed facing towards the wall rather than the window.

Like yourself, I tend to wake with the dawn and really appreciate it over the summer months starting the day much earlier. This led to myself and my wife having quite different sleeping patterns over the summer with me turning in and getting up earlier. Wasn't really a problem and I quite enjoy a couple of extra hours in the morning before anyone else is up.

Advertisement