Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Right Backend Framework for E-commerce Store & Forum?

• 10-10-2020 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Greetings!

I am building an e-commerce store with a complete forum where users can create threads and respond to them after having registration. Though I found several reliable backend frameworks here https://blog.back4app.com/backend-frameworks/ but I am confused between Laravel & Django. I prefer Django because it updates the responses very quickly via Django channels which are usually used for chats. Similarly, Django is also offering admin panel.

On the other hand, I prefer Laravel due to powerful templates, better routing etc. features. I also found a complete comparison here https://www.dailyrazor.com/blog/laravel-vs-django/ and in terms of security Django also wins. Probably, I can consider Django, but when I last made a news blog with Django that time, it was hard to host it. Yes, Django uses Python, and it sounds expensive if I go with VPS hosting for Python.

What are your suggestions?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Talisman

We're not supposed to discuss hosting providers on the forum so if you are looking for hosting suggestions your favourite search engine is your best option.

As for your Django vs Laravel dilemma - it those are the two options you are considering then maybe you need to determine what is the most difficult problem each of them presents for you.

I haven't used Laravel in some time, v4 was the new cool kid at the time. My experience of the framework was that it was a resource hog and a serious application required a dedicated VPS with plenty of RAM.

Are you more comfortable in PHP or Python?
    Are you building the e-commerce system from scratch or are you customising an existing framework/application?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

Yes, Django uses Python, and it sounds expensive if I go with VPS hosting for Python.
    If you are hosting on a VPS you can install whatever you want on it, so don't let that worry you.

In general your dev time will cost a lot more than hosting so don't get too hung up on performance. That is a relatively easy problem to solve (assuming all other things equal).

Advertisement