Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best smartphone under 500e (Not made in China)

Options
  • 24-09-2020 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a smartphone under 500 euros but not made in China. I know it sounds a bit discriminatory but I have my reasons :D

Could someone recommend a good phone in this category?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a smartphone under 500 euros but not made in China. I know it sounds a bit discriminatory but I have my reasons :D

Could someone recommend a good phone in this category?
    Samsung probably your only option?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Samsung probably your only option?

Yeah I guess Samsungs are made in South Korea & India. There are just so many samsung models under 500 so thought I'd ask in case one's better than another.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Yeah I guess Samsungs are made in South Korea & India. There are just so many samsung models under 500 so thought I'd ask in case one's better than another.

You've also got HTC and Asus, not sure of their current phones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭padair

Wileyfox uk company

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You're ruling out a massive section of great chinese phones eg Huawei, realme, Xiaomi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 dublinstudent.

I swear by xiaomi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Most the apps you install probably have some connection with china.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Fairphone would be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

Got the Samsung A71 from Amazon Germany. Delighted with it. €320 all in. Coming from a Moto one vision.

Yes Samsung Galaxy A51 is a solid phone too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

wizardman wrote: »
    Got the Samsung A71 from Amazon Germany. Delighted with it. €320 all in. Coming from a Moto one vision.

Yeah I was looking at the A41 and noticed it was a good bit cheaper if I got the German/Italian verison.

But I read that some apps are localised by Samsung (esp the Italian version mentioned a lot on Amazon reviews) and appear as that language even when the phone is set to English. Is the German version ok in that respect? Not that there are any Samsung apps I'd be aching to use.
    (Obviously the European charger is the main diff).

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

I've heard google pixels are nice value too and it seems they are not chinese either

I've heard google pixels are nice value too and it seems they are not chinese either

Pixels are made in Taiwan but don't let that stop you buying one. They are the one of the best phones on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

DopeTech wrote: »
    Yes Samsung Galaxy A51 is a solid phone too.

I got one and hate it. Fingerprint rarely works, camera only ok. For mid range, it seemed poor compared to cheaper Chinese mainstream phones

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

iPhone SE is about €430 on Amazon.de

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Every one is made in china or parts in it are

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

jdon72 wrote: »
    iPhone SE is about €430 on Amazon.de

Iphone is made in china

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

TheDriver wrote: »
    I got one and hate it. Fingerprint rarely works, camera only ok. For mid range, it seemed poor compared to cheaper Chinese mainstream phones

I did research before deciding and A51 reviews were as you describe, so I when for the A71 and I'm delighted with it.

Advertisement