Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Using Amazon Photos to back up RAW files

Options
  • 09-03-2019 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, everyone,

Maybe I'm late to the party here but I recently found out that not only can you get unlimited (non-compressed) photo storage on Amazon Photos as part of a Prime membership but that this also includes RAW files. I tried uploading a load of JPGs and RAFs from my Fuji X-T3 and they were all considered part of the unlimited storage, which is cool. Another backup place is always welcome.

I did, however, notice that when I click to view a RAF file, it's extremely green. If I download the image it's as it was when I uploaded it but I'm wondering if this is just an issue with how the web app renders RAF files or if it's with all kinds of RAW files.

Anyway, even if I can't get any help with this I hope some of you also now know that you can back up your RAW files in Amazon Photos as part of a Prime membership. It's not my primary backup but another place to keep things safe never hurt, I guess.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Are you using the Amazon photos app to view the images? I've found the app to be quite poor. When you download to your phone it downloads a compressed jpeg even if saved as a raw file. But using the Amazon drive app to view them it seems to work better. I'm shooting a Canon Eos R and it's file look good online.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Caquas

I want to show my Amazon photos on my TV using a Fire TV stick and but the Amazon Photos app only gives me an error message saying the app is "disabled for this region".

Is Amazon Photos limited in Ireland so that it can't be used with Fire TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

cant use a firestick officially in Ireland , you will need to use a vpn .

My daughter brought one home from England and we've been using it happily for months, except for this glitch with Photos.

Any idea why we can't use firestick officially here? It's fantastic value for 4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

this is from amazon firestick webpage
    This product only ships to the United Kingdom. Most content and services will not work if your country of residence is not the UK. Learn more about international use
    I think it will work if you use a registered uk address when it was registered .
    (im open to correction on that though )

• Advertisement

Thanks, I see that now on Amazon.co.uk. My daughter bought and registered it while she lived in the UK and it is still in her name so that would explain why it still works here (but for how long more?)

I can understand that there would be limits on the creative content I could view with Fire TV due to international rights restrictions but I wonder why Amazon don't deal with that like Netflix i.e. have a different selection of content for each country? Roku seem to have solved the problem at about the same price.

And why would that block me looking at my own photos?!

CS

Advertisement