Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

First US Trip - Walt Disney World Feb 2021?

• 17-03-2020 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi all, looking for some advice on a trip i'm planning. Never been to the US before. I'm looking at going to Walt Disney World in Orlando in mid-Feb 2021. Two adults. We have between 10-14 days to spend there. Flights seem to be reasonably priced.

WDW is top priority for us. If possible we would also like to go to the kennedy space centre, do an everglades tour, and of course we'd do some shopping. While I would like to see the Harry Potter part of Universal Studios, I'm not sure if thats realistic in the timeframe we're working in. Also, my partner doesn't like thrill rides or rollercoasters so not sure if there would be much for us to do at Universal.

I've been looking at mostly onsite WDW hotels which are expensive but i'm a bit weary of going offsite as neither of us can drive so we wouldn't be hiring a car. I've seen some rumours online of a free dining plan offer becoming available next mouth. Has anyone any experience with that?

This is all very new to me. Really would appreciate any tips/suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I have used attraction tickets direct a number of times and found them very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Huge advantage of staying on site for WDW is the transport, but just about every hotel in the Orlando area has a shuttle service to both parks.

Big WDW tip is to get the app.....year round there are long waits for everything (rides and food), app keeps up to date with ride line times, but also lets you order food ahead of time, then you just need to wait in the pickup line at the restaurant instead of the order line (which is much quicker)

Universal is great fun, there are a good few non-thrill rides, but you're right that cutting those out does limit the experience. Even if you end up not going to universal, their boardwalk area is worth a visit (no ticket needed for entry and free parking after 6pm) there are restaurants and a decent fun atmosphere most of the year.

Kennedy Space Center is a great spot to visit, but is pricey. If you go later in the day (after the last tours to the Apollo launch site) the ticket price drops, but obviously, you miss the opportunity to visit the launch pad. The Atlantis exhibit is amazing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Universal is great for rollercoasters and Harry Potter. But when its busy you can be waiting for over an hour for the newer rides.

Disney World is very fun for the family, the night parade is great.

The shopping malls are decent aswell.

Dont overpack for going over because if you buy loads of stuff you will have trouble with the weight when you check in your bags on your way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Palmy

Just a quick note about the Everglades. Your best bet is to just go to a Gator farm in Orlando where they do shows and airboat rides. They pretty much do the same thing when your at the Everglades. Failing that just go to pretty much any pond and you will literally see a Gator. I was at the Sheraton on i drive and watched a Gator swimming around at night, I actually warned people who were sitting on the edge of the pond that day. I've been living in Florida nearly Ten years and have literally seen hundreds of Gators all over the place. My first apartment complex had three in their ponds, a 10-8- and 6 footer. I felt like an idiot the first time I seen them around our complex, I thought they were just in places like the Everglades. They will leave you alone as long as they have not been feed by tourist where they associate humans with food ( which feeding a Gator is illegal in Florida). Sorry I know a its a long rant but especially as you do not drive the trip to the everglades is kind of a waste if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

hi op - did you end up booking? i am mad to go with my kids but the way things are looking i am beginning to write off 2021 for travel to the US never mind 2020!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭newbie18892

duffysfarm wrote: »
    hi op - did you end up booking? i am mad to go with my kids but the way things are looking i am beginning to write off 2021 for travel to the US never mind 2020!

We've pushed back our plans to May 2021 but haven't booked anything yet. Feeling quite uncertain but optimistic about everything

Palmy wrote: »
    Just a quick note about the Everglades. Your best bet is to just go to a Gator farm in Orlando where they do shows and airboat rides. They pretty much do the same thing when your at the Everglades. Failing that just go to pretty much any pond and you will literally see a Gator. I was at the Sheraton on i drive and watched a Gator swimming around at night, I actually warned people who were sitting on the edge of the pond that day. I've been living in Florida nearly Ten years and have literally seen hundreds of Gators all over the place. My first apartment complex had three in their ponds, a 10-8- and 6 footer. I felt like an idiot the first time I seen them around our complex, I thought they were just in places like the Everglades. They will leave you alone as long as they have not been feed by tourist where they associate humans with food ( which feeding a Gator is illegal in Florida). Sorry I know a its a long rant but especially as you do not drive the trip to the everglades is kind of a waste if you ask me.

This is really good to know. Thanks. Like i said I've never been before so good to know what's worth a visit and what's not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

We've pushed back our plans to May 2021 but haven't booked anything yet. Feeling quite uncertain but optimistic about everything

Pandemic aside, May is a better time to go than Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Book somewhere offsite & learn to drive between now & then. Alternatively, stay on I-Drive, there's loads of shuttles go to all the tourist places.

I'd highly recommend going to universal, its way more adult orientated, but even my kids who were 7 at the time we went, enjoyed it more than Magic kingdom.

I'd recommendhttps://www.orlandoattractiontickets.co.uk based in the UK for tickets. We saved €150 per person buying from them combined with revolution savings. Considerable savings. They also throw in freebies - we got a gator park and some other stuff like a discount card etc.

Everglades is 100s of miles away so if you're not driving, you're realistically not going. NASA is also a good hour plus on the freeway.

Recommend doing all the Disney Parks and the two universal parks & sea world. All within a very short distance of I-Drive. That'll fill nine days of your holiday doing just a day in each.

If you are looking for tickets for the theme parks definitely try attraction tickets direct. Was over in Orlando last October and purchased tickets through them and found them very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,440 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Don't got to Florida. Go somewhere else. California, Louisiana, Chicago, New York....

would you care to elaborate?

The Nal wrote: »
    Don't got to Florida. Go somewhere else. California, Louisiana, Chicago, New York....

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Gastric Apple

If WDW is your top priority then you should really stay on property. POP & All-Stars are both usually reasonably priced and are grand to stay in from our experience. You have the advantage of free transport between the parks and extra magic hours by staying at a Disney hotel.

A day trip to Universal is easily done, especially if you’re there for 2 weeks - definitely worth a visit even just for HP. You can get a shuttle service to and from Universal from Disney that leaves early morning and collects late evening.

I’d recommend to book everything yourself too, we’ve found it much cheaper that way. It’s very hard to say what the situation will be like next year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Been to Florida, WDW & Universal several times, wouldn't go to the US now unless vaccinated for Covid 19, place especially Fla is a cesspit at the moment & currently no proven vaccine available
    Make sure you have 10,000,000 medical cover whenever you go but next year wouldn't be for me

If WDW is your top priority then you should really stay on property. POP & All-Stars are both usually reasonably priced and are grand to stay in from our experience. You have the advantage of free transport between the parks and extra magic hours by staying at a Disney hotel.

A day trip to Universal is easily done, especially if you’re there for 2 weeks - definitely worth a visit even just for HP. You can get a shuttle service to and from Universal from Disney that leaves early morning and collects late evening.

I’d recommend to book everything yourself too, we’ve found it much cheaper that way. It’s very hard to say what the situation will be like next year though.

Thanks! That's very helpful

Pandemic aside, May is a better time to go than Feb.

FYI in May pretty much every school in Florida does field trips for 5-8 graders and the likes to Disney/ Universal and Sea World. Very busy time as they do it before the school year finishes here and then the tourist season starts from Europe. If your not into kids screaming and running all over the place this might not be the best time. Personally I’d try and go early to mid April or wait until hurricane season is over and go mid to late October early November.

would you care to elaborate?

California is ok but unless you drive ( which you don’t) and want to go up the pacific coast you are kind of limited as everything is spread out. Hotels in good areas are expensive also. Don’t really see the attraction in Louisiana and Chicago and New York are just city’s with Museums etc. You really have to ask yourself the question what you want out of your vacation. Are you a hang out in Paris for a week ( NY/ Chicago) or a go to Cyprus for a week ( Orlando ). Orlando is catered towards tourist and tourism is Florida’s biggest industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

We've been in May before, the weather is usually great, it will be hot, the crowds do pick up significantly in the last week to ten days approaching the Memorial Day holiday.

We've had the 'free dining plan' before, in the past you would have to stay at least at a Disney Moderate Resort for the regular plan, the Value Resorts only had the Quick Service plan. In the past you would have to reserve what restaurants you want to eat at 180 days in advance especially the popular ones, not sure of the situation now with Covid or current offers. I think you really need to crunch the numbers to see if the dining plan is worth it financially, you may well spend less without it, anybody can reserve a table at a Disney restaurant

Have a look at the hotels on Disney Plaza Blvd, all within walking distance of Disney Springs (most Disney resorts are not) , all have regular transport to the parks & other perks

As it seems you are just two adults travelling, you will be able to move around very easily much easier than with kids in tow, I would definitely do a split stay, 9/10 nights Disney or Disney area hotels & 3/4 nights Universal, plenty to do in Universal even for non coaster fans

Use Uber or Lyft to travel between Disney & Universal, cheaper than a taxi & significantly quicker than the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

California is ok but unless you drive ( which you don’t) and want to go up the pacific coast you are kind of limited as everything is spread out. Hotels in good areas are expensive also. Don’t really see the attraction in Louisiana and Chicago and New York are just city’s with Museums etc. You really have to ask yourself the question what you want out of your vacation. Are you a hang out in Paris for a week ( NY/ Chicago) or a go to Cyprus for a week ( Orlando ). Orlando is catered towards tourist and tourism is Florida’s biggest industry.

No point doing CA if you don't drive.
    If you do drive then it's wonderful place to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,440 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Don’t really see the attraction in Louisiana and Chicago and New York are just city’s with Museums etc.

Thats wildy inaccurate. New Orleans is the best city on earth imo. Cant wait to get back to New York and Chicago. All three have the best music and food you'll get anywhere. And people.

Down south is great. Memphis, Jackson, Nashville, Savannah, Charleston etc. Beautiful.
    Orlando is catered towards tourist and tourism is Florida’s biggest industry.

And tacky as a result. Nearly as bad as Vegas. The US Benidorm with more money. Really crowded and full of retirees. Expensive too.

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    Thats wildy inaccurate. New Orleans is the best city on earth imo. Cant wait to get back to New York and Chicago. All three have the best music and food you'll get anywhere. And people.

Down south is great. Memphis, Jackson, Nashville, Savannah, Charleston etc. Beautiful.

That’s why i said it depends on what type of vacation they are looking at. By the sounds of it they are looking for theme parks. I do agree unless you want to hang out at the beaches in Florida and not into theme parks then Orlando/ Florida might not be the best place.

And tacky as a result. Nearly as bad as Vegas. The US Benidorm with more money. Really crowded and full of retirees. Expensive too.

Depends on where you go in Florida. Orlando is tacky. The East coast and West coast of Florida are totally different. I live in Siesta key in Sarasota. A beautiful place with the Best beach in the U.S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Orlando is tacky.

It is what it is. I love Orlando. Been there many times and loved it every time. If you're going there expecting fine cultural experiences or deep historical tours, of course you're going to be disappointed but if you're going for dumb thrill rides and childish fun in theme parks, you'll love it. Well I do anyway.

I've done city trips in America and road trips along the west coast and around the south and are they were great in their own right but Orlando is fun too!

Just realised I hadn't updated here. We decided to book a package (flights and hotel) with British Airways going to Orlando in May 2021 for 14 nights. We're staying at the Hilton Bonnet Creek which looks like it's in a great area and has free shuttles to the Disney parks. I think the package was €1,400 each and we'll buy theme park tickets separately.

BA allow pretty flexible rescheduling or cancelling so we feel quite comfortable booking with them knowing we can change if needed.

Where are you flying from?
    Just realised I hadn't updated here. We decided to book a package (flights and hotel) with British Airways going to Orlando in May 2021 for 14 nights. We're staying at the Hilton Bonnet Creek which looks like it's in a great area and has free shuttles to the Disney parks. I think the package was €1,400 each and we'll buy theme park tickets separately.

BA allow pretty flexible rescheduling or cancelling so we feel quite comfortable booking with them knowing we can change if needed.

Where are you flying from?

Amsterdam to Philadelphia to Orlando. My bf lives in Holland. Just living in hope that the US lifts their travel restrictions for the EU soon lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I've stayed there (well the WA that's connected to it) and it's a great hotel, it's massive, but has some great features, excellent location too. It's also a partner hotel, so you should get the same benefits as staying in a Disney hotel ie fastpass booking etc... Although, with the current situation that's hard to judge what will still be available (letting go 44,000 staff at WDW, will have major consequences for the overall experience).

Advertisement