Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread incorrectly moved to conspiracy forum

• 23-09-2020 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Mike_ie the mod moved a thread about a Chinese virologist( who was all over mainstream tv )to the conspiracy theory forum. I messaged the mod days ago and have gotten no response. The thread has zero reason to be in said forum and should be back in current affairs. As that’s exactly what it is.

Comments

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Moved to Help Desk as this isn't disputing a card or ban.

With respect to your thread, I was offline for a few days and only returned yesterday afternoon. However, the thread you started in Current Affairs titled:

Chinese virologist whistle blower releases in depth report on how C-19 may be manmade

is misleading to say the least. The actual content of the links provided is somebody's opinion about how the virus could be made in a lab and attempts to detail the steps that would be taken to do so. There isn't an iota of evidence to back it up. Yours second link is an article in the Irish Sun, and when the Irish Sun is putting the word 'proof' in inverted commas and are unwilling to nail their colors to the mast, it's pretty fair to say that the proof is pretty tenuous.

It's by definition a conspiracy theory and was moved to the appropriate forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

You are not getting the point. The discussion should be in current affairs as that's exactly what it is. It was reported on hundreds of mainstream media outlets including Nat Geo, CNN Fox , BBS etc She was even live on ITV for instance.
    Whether its a conspiracy or not is not up to you to decide. Its up to people to debate it in the relevant forum. Scandalous ruling on your behalf and boards users are in agreement with me as my comment on the thread stating same was the most liked comment in the thread.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

splashuum wrote: »
    You are not getting the point. The discussion should be in current affairs as that's exactly what it is.

I don't believe I am. Current Affairs is for, as the name suggests, the discussion of events that are currently happening in the world. The key point being things that are happening, not some person's personal theory about how something might have happened, despite an overwhelming majority of evidence to the contrary. Or, to consult the dictionary:

conspiracy theory
    noun
    a belief that some covert but influential organization is responsible for an unexplained event.

current affairs
    plural noun
    events of political or social interest and importance happening in the world at the present time.

^^^ Which one of these definitions best applies to Dr Li-Meng Yan's hypothesis, in your opinion?
    It was reported on hundreds of mainstream media outlets including Nat Geo, CNN Fox , BBS etc She was even live on ITV for instance.

I took a look at some of the articles you mention - the National Geographic article can be found here:
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/09/coronavirus-origins-misinformation-yan-report-fact-check-cvd/

In case the keywords in the URL aren't enough, the subtitle of the article is "Another piece of coronavirus misinformation is making the rounds. Here’s how to sift through the muck.", and summarize their article with

"National Geographic reached out to other prominent virologists and misinformation researchers to better understand where the Yan report came from and what it got wrong. Along the way, they offered tips for overcoming misinformation surrounding the coronavirus."

Hardly a ringing endorsement.
    Whether its a conspiracy or not is not up to you to decide. Its up to people to debate it in the relevant forum.

They are debating it in the relevant forum - the Conspiracy Theories forum.
    Scandalous ruling on your behalf and boards users are in agreement with me as my comment on the thread stating same was the most liked comment in the thread.

The Chinese Communist Party have already thanked me for my efforts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement