Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet suit advice

• 26-06-2020 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Looking for advice on buying my first wet suit.

It's only going to be for splashing about with the kids in the summer.

I've found a 2mm and 3mm for a similar price.

Is there much of a trade off in comfort/flexibility vs warmth?

Any tips you can give on which to opt for would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Coz wrote: »
    Looking for advice on buying my first wet suit.

It's only going to be for splashing about with the kids in the summer.

I've found a 2mm and 3mm for a similar price.

Is there much of a trade off in comfort/flexibility vs warmth?

Any tips you can give on which to opt for would be much appreciated.

Make sure whatever one you get fits - nothing worse than cold flush

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pochard

I'd definitely go with 3mm or more. For splashing around with kids, any wetsuit is flexible enough, and you will appreciate the extra warmth of the thicker wetsuit.

Most people surfing in Ireland would stay in their 5mm wetsuits even during the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Coz

Thanks all! Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭test account 123

In case you've yet to buy one, Aldi are doing wetsuits from tomorrow. If its only going to be used occasionally then it should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Go for the 3mm. I recently bought a 5mm and I love it coz you just never get cold!!! (too thick for kayaking though which I often do, so I'm gonna get a three mm for that) Dunno what brand you're going for, but I find O'Neills to be the easiest to get on and off - they seem to be a more stretchy material than some others and the 'hems' around the legs and the wrists aren't stupidly tight.

Best advice is as per above, get it as tight around the body as you can. A good fit makes a lot more difference than a mm extra thickness. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Need to upgrade from my 20year old alder 5/3 Medium after almost bursting a few blood vessels trying to get it on last weekend in Lahinch……..seems Ive put on a few pounds as I’ve got older……. :)
    I’m still in good shape for someone in my early 50s however looking at the size guides, seems everything is built for 20years olds……:)
    I’d be a 39-40” chest, 12st10 and if I measure my waist, I’m about 36-37” albeit I still fit in Levi’s 32x32
    So I am assuming it’s better to align the size guides with my chest and hope I’ll be able to stretch at the waist?
    With my current 5/3, the legs and chest have become too tight to get it on and off, albeit really warm once I’m in……..
    Appreciate any advice or if there’s a brand that caters for the older man, please point me there… :)
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Need to upgrade from my 20year old alder 5/3 Medium after almost bursting a few blood vessels trying to get it on last weekend in Lahinch……..seems Ive put on a few pounds as I’ve got older……. :)
    I’m still in good shape for someone in my early 50s however looking at the size guides, seems everything is built for 20years olds……:)
    I’d be a 39-40” chest, 12st10 and if I measure my waist, I’m about 36-37” albeit I still fit in Levi’s 32x32
    So I am assuming it’s better to align the size guides with my chest and hope I’ll be able to stretch at the waist?
    With my current 5/3, the legs and chest have become too tight to get it on and off, albeit really warm once I’m in……..
    Appreciate any advice or if there’s a brand that caters for the older man, please point me there… :)
    Cheers!

Look up the number of the Lahinch surf shop and call them for advice, they might let you buy one on sale or return so that you can try it on and change it if it doesn't fit. Basically the cut is important for example c-skins suits fit me but the last ripcurl suit it tried on didn't there was a big gap at the neck.

will be coming into my first winter of surfing in Ireland. Until now have been a summer holiday surfer, but have moved west and taking it up more seriously. Quick question: Will a 6/4+ hooded wetsuit be too warm for an Irish winter? Its an O'neills psycho tech (2021), which has very good reviews for flexibility despite the thickness. Thanks for advice

I currently surf with two 4:3 suits in winter - with a 5:3 winter suit back up case its absolutely freezing.

6:4 suit is fine but very heavy and a bugger to paddle in

• Advertisement

Thanks both. I am a skinny guy, and run cold, so got the 6:4. I will probably wear it for a lot of the year. I tried it yesterday and it seems to be as flexible as my 6 year ole 4:3. This new 2021 O'Neill suit seems to have very good reviews saying that it has very good flexibility (its expensive enough!), so hopefully should be good.

Pretty miserable surf forecast all round for this hot weekend :(

go snorkeling

that's pretty the definition of me surfing. but without the snorkel....

Was going to post about this blocking high but didn’t want to get banned….

There are days to be had but you have to be able to travel at a drop of a hat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Is there any trick to this other than experience? I've been using Magic Seaweed as a rough guide and it's been fairly successful for the few beaches I've surfed so far.

It seems there is good surf forecast for most of the west coast early this week, and I'm thinking of giving Ballybunion a shot. But I'm not sure Ballybunion is too popular with surfers, so maybe it's not worth going?

Maybe you have some advice?

Thanks regardless!

You'll learn with time/experience - graph's can be very helpful for an overall picture.

This Tuesday is a case to point. All the forecasting sites showed the swell but the winds are a major factor - as onshore winds forecast for the afternoon

Luckily they were so light it didn't effect the surf but today the webcams show the surf as very messy and the winds not much stronger.

The forecast may well have put people off but it was something else 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I was in Lahinch super early (water at 7am) on Tuesday. The swell wasn't actually too bad in size, but you'd be waiting 10 mins for a wave! I was expecting a bit more in size, but even if that disappointed a bit, it was the slowness that was the worst.

Im wondering if Ballybunion might have been better but too late now!

Thanks for your input regardless!

Advertisement