Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unused Electric Shower Leaking

• 16-10-2019 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi,
    We have an electric shower that started leaking from the base of the box last night. This shower is never used, and has never been used in the 3 years that we've been here. We had a roof leak 2 weeks ago and the water was leaking down the wall near the fuse switches for the extractor fan and the shower one. So both these switches have been turned off ever since. I'm wondering if us turning of this fuse switch has something to do with it. I can't figure out why its leaking when it never gets used.
    Any help or advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

What's the make & model of the shower?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Without knowing the shower it's worth taking off the cover...after isolating the power at the main board. Check in and around the solenoid. Common problem and a very eady fix. The main seal perishes.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F171407963845

This is what a spare looks like and depending on the model there are loads of how to vids on YouTube. You might be lucky and just have to nip an inlet pipe

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭shashaela

I'll check the name and model later as its awkward to get at, we don't use the ensuite as babys cot goes right up to the door. I reckon its probably pretty old anyway.

Is there a fool-proof way to just stop the water coming out? It doesn't bother me about if its fixed or not as its never used, I just want the leak to stop.

If its something a bit complicated I'll get the maintenance guy in. This is a last resort as sadly there's always something wrong with the house. We had a roof leak two weeks ago, last week some radiators needed to be replaced. Just endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

shashaela wrote: »
    I'll check the name and model later as its awkward to get at, we don't use the ensuite as babys cot goes right up to the door. I reckon its probably pretty old anyway.

Is there a fool-proof way to just stop the water coming out? It doesn't bother me about if its fixed or not as its never used, I just want the leak to stop.

If its something a bit complicated I'll get the maintenance guy in. This is a last resort as sadly there's always something wrong with the house. We had a roof leak two weeks ago, last week some radiators needed to be replaced. Just endless.
    if you have access to a loft above it and can trace the pipe feeding it there is normally a ball or gate valve you can lock off. I feel your pain, same craic with my house. 1979 build and slowly getting through the never ending list. I'm a maintenance tech and it still doesn't make it any easier. Time eating money pits

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭shashaela

if you have access to a loft above it and can trace the pipe feeding it there is normally a ball or gate valve you can lock off. I feel your pain, same craic with my house. 1979 build and slowly getting through the never ending list. I'm a maintenance tech and it still doesn't make it any easier. Time eating money pits

Haha not a hope, afraid of my life of spiders!!!!
    I won't even go in the press under the stairs!!

This house is about 10 years younger than yours (I can vaguely remember them being built) , and the amount of issues we've had with it in the three years that we're here is unreal. And we're only renting, but stuck because of the rental and housing crisis. But greatful all the same that we actually have some where.

I think I'll be biting the bullet and will get the maintenance dude back out (again)!!!

Starting to see these workmen more times than I get to visit my own family!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,871 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

shashaela wrote:

I'm thinking you might have a tank fed shower connected to the mains. If it's connected to the tank a little water might be dripping out of the bottom of the shower. If it's connected to the mains supply then it will be spraying out at reasonable pressure

Advertisement