Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Conversion kits legality?

Options
  • 14-10-2019 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi im wondering whats the legal status of ruger 10/22 bullpup stocks like the aklys Defense ZK-22, im thinking of buying one < MOD SNIP > but im not sure if their legal as i can't find anything saying their legal or illegal.

Would this change the status of the ruger 10/22 into a restricted firearm? Im curious because im fairly sure any garda would lose their **** at the sight of one of these so i want to know ahead of time if i could get into trouble for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭freddieot

It's still a 10/22 no matter what dress you put on it you do to it but like everything else in this country, its not that simple.

People will have varying opinions on this but if it were me I would check with the local cops, in writing. Tell them you intend replacing the stock with one that is more comfortable, better fitting, better for accessories etc. etc. Point out that it could make it look a bit more scary and does that make a difference.

If you don't and there is any issue then it could come back to haunt you, your 10/22 and any other firearms you have.

A few years back the Super we had sent the FO to physically check the serial numbers on firearms in my area. They checked everything. I had 2 restricted and 2 unrestricted - no issues. That's when you are glad there is nothing even slightly, shall we say - open to interpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008

1. This Order may be cited as the Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008.
    “bullpup rifles” means rifles with a magazine located behind the trigger;

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2008/si/21/made/en/print

Unless there are further changes then the above would place your converted 10/22 into the restricted category.

I take it that like similar kits this one will place the barreled action to the rear of the stock and more importantly to the rear of the trigger group. If so then your firearm becomes a bull pup design.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Maybe in future,we should all just apply for restricted firearms in any and all calibers and put down for the exceptional good reason "ease of customisation to my particular needs with aftermarket accessories"?:rolleyes::)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Would this change the status of the ruger 10/22 into a restricted firearm? .
    Yes.
    freddieot wrote: »
    It's still a 10/22 no matter what dress you put on it you do to it but like everything else in this country, its not that simple.
    With this stock system you are actually changing the functionality of the firearm by moving the trigger further forward by means of a mechanical system/rail, beyond the mag well, and hence turning it onto a bull pup as per the link by Cookimonster above.

With other stocks you don't have this problem. Take for example archangel 556 conversion stock. It makes the 10/22 look like an AR15 platform, but it doesn't alter the guns trigger position, mag well, etc. It's just window dressing. Don't get me wrong you could fall foul of the "idon'tlikethelookofthat" rule, but you would still have a case to argue for having it. Not with the one above.
    People will have varying opinions on this .
    This goes back to what i was talking about on another thread (Misunderstanding or Misinformation).

The law is actually very clear on this issue. A bullpup is any firearm with the trigger further forward than the mag. No grey areas, just black and white.

So anyone with this stock would need a restricted license and their opinion on the legality of what they need, in terms of license type, is irrelevant as the law is clear.

On a side note is the guy from Aklys the dude that used to work for the paedophile/rapist guy off TV, red jacket firearms?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mikesaccount

Thanks for the help lads, ill have a look at the archangel 556 and send a letter to see if its ok.

On a side note is the guy from Aklys the dude that used to work for the paedophile/rapist guy off TV, red jacket firearms?[/QUOTE]

Didn't even realise it was him until i saw an interview because he isn't listed anywhere on the website.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Thanks for the help lads, ill have a look at the archangel 556 and send a letter to see if its ok.
    To be clear, i'm not suggesting you get one, recommending one, etc. I've never owned one, used one or shot one. I only used it as an example as to how it's different to the Aklys.
    Didn't even realise it was him until i saw an interview because he isn't listed anywhere on the website.
    I checked a few sites to see what the Aklys was, having never seen one before, and he seems to be the face of the company.

Nothing wrong with the guy, that i know of, just i remember him from the Tv show.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement