Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Misunderstanding or misinformation ?

Options
  • 11-10-2019 9:02pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In the past 10 days to 2 weeks i've seen, read and heard (as in spoken to lads) about a number of things that people are absolutely sure of, but wrong on.

Now this is not a "i'm right, you're not" situation, it's also not a mockery of anyone because no one knows it all. So there is latitude for some, but what amazed me were the few that even after i either showed them they were wrong or presented them with the legislation to read still held their previous belief(s).

It ranges from thinking semi auto rifles are illegal to only a 243 or higher for Deer and most recently that Nightvision (which is under serious attack) is also illegal.

The reason for this thread is two fold. What have you heard that even in the face of unfiltered and inarguable proof have people refused to believe and how to educate people?

No one likes to be told they're wrong and worse still people will take umbrage if shown they are wrong. So how can you educate someone without it seeming like you are making them feel inferior or stupid? You can do it in a "gentle" way, but too subtle, i feel, and the salient point gets lost so you need to be somewhat forceful at the same time.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭badaj0z

This is a common problem Cass. It has been investigated and even has a name, the Dunning–Kruger effect.

See here:- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

Cass wrote: »

No one likes to be told their wrong and worse still people will take umbrage if shown they are wrong. So how can you educate someone without it seeming like you are making them feel inferior or stupid? You can do it in a "gentle" way, but too subtle, i feel, and the salient point gets lost so you need to be somewhat forceful at the same time.

Nothing constructive to add except:

There
    They're
    Their

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

^^^^^^^^^^^

HAH, put my hands out for that one. Its a pet hate of mine and nothing worse than when you get caught by the balls doing it. :o
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭SVI40

The amount of stupid in circulation grows day by day. Emotions and feelings are now more important than science or facts.

I've re-read my opening post and the language could be better, not to mention the grammar, but to clarify.

What do you do when you answer someone, and they don't believe you. When you show someone and they still don't believe you. So you show them a print out of the law, and they still don't believe.

Its not meant to be a case of being the person in the right (some or all of the time), but to stop the spread of misinformation which seems to go around quicker than a fart in a hurricane.

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    I've re-read my opening post and the language could be better, not to mention the grammar, but to clarify.

What do you do when you answer someone, and they don't believe you. When you show someone and they still don't believe you. So you show them a print out of the law, and they still don't believe.

Its not meant to be a case of being the person in the right (some or all of the time), but to stop the spread of misinformation which seems to go around quicker than a fart in a hurricane.

Nothing, they don't want to learn, be corrected, change their view. You're wasting your time, sadly.

Yeah, kinda gathered as much, but some of these people, and i'm going back years, were men that were considered "knowledgeable" and had the attention of a lot of people. The damage the wrong information could do to the various sports not to mention on the legal front would be devastating.

Also, Midlife Crisis Man, you utter feck, you have me checking every word and using Google spell check before i post. Paranoid as hell now. :o :D

Yep, but just look at our sport. Shooters are probably the most law abiding citizens in the country.
    Laws are passed to ban more of what we do. We obey it, yet the crime doesn't stop or decrease, but most likely increases. So, what do those in power do? Implement more laws, which again, will not affect anyone, but those who obey the law.
    They KNOW it will have no affect on crime, but refuse to learn, change their opinion, or listen to reason. We try and point out it's not working, but they refuse to change their tac.
    We can but try, but I fear we are fighting a loosing cause. However, I'll not give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭GooseB

Also, Midlife Crisis Man, you utter feck, you have me checking every word and using Google spell check before i post. Paranoid as hell now.

Capital "I" :D:D:D

Ah balls..............................

/ searches for "close account" function

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

Yeah, I know how it goes all right.
    This past few months anyone I tried to tell about the proposed lead ban they wave their hands and say sure that's been talked about for years, they do not want to seem to understand it is for rifles also.
    It's just dismissed as old news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

Experienced this many times and just recently with the prosecutions published in newspapers for hare hunting with hounds in Mayo, Wexford & Kildare.

Some lads were convinced that there was nothing wrong with letting a dog chase a hare in the wild...."shure thats nature"....they didn't want to hear or see the reasons why it's not allowed.

I can understand it years ago - pre internet days - when information wasn't as easy to access. People accepted what was said then by some "learnerd people" as gospel.

No excuse these days - a Google search will reveal many answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I think there's alot of misinformation these days. Firearms law can be very technical at times.

I remember a guy telling me how is lever action rifle holds something like 15 shots in the tube. I asked was it had to get the restricted license. He replied saying he didn't need a restricted license because it's a rimfire and lever action.

I wasn't in any mood to argue. I'm sure there are thousands of firearms in this country licensed incorrectly.

Here is the place to come if you don't understand something about the law. Everyone is very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

"The man you can explain things to in words or pictures, and understands,has an exellent brain.The man you can explain to in words and pictures,and by showing,he too has a useful brain.The man who understands neither,words,pictures,examples or by showing to is a fool.Shun him."

Sun Tzu"The art of war"
    Or "
    Ya can only tell them once...After that you are wasting your goddam time and breath!" [
    I]Grizzly45's ol man[/I]:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ace86

I think to the average shooter and I suppose gun club and target person they don’t read into or take notice of a lot of stuff sent down the line in terms of bureaucracy and new laws made they just want to enjoy there sport is all. I know the law is a very critical part in what we do but as Irish people I find sometimes we don’t like being detected to even if seeing is believing from my own personal experience even if they are wrong and by correcting them your a know it all. This ammo storage law that has come in I’m going buying an ammo crate for myself and enough room maybe for my buddy’s belt and bullets for a day out shooting and clays but he’s obviously to the fact if we’re stopped by the wrong cop we both loose our licence and guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Time for someone to print a gun bible

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Brontosaurus

Doesn't help that legislation and enforcement in this country is as clear as mud, and there's plenty of misinformation taken as gospel even as far as the firearms and shooting itself.

As for new laws it doesn't help with the amount of fudds there are at ranges saying things like "why would you need anything other than .22" or "sure you can get a license for anything you want what do you mean you can't own that?"

Advertisement