Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jack Burton's adventures in Arcade restoring

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Didn't get a chance to do any voltage tests yet. I should have an hour tonight though.

Just going to get a cheap Naomi 1 motherboard next week. If what I think it's after burning out on it than the only repair I can see is to get one from a Naomi board so might aswell just go the whole hog and get a working one.

Definitely want to clean up the ATX hack and relocate some of those boards that are just ****ed in there anyway at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

You could try that yaton6262 guy on eBay, usually has a good selection on naomi stuff

Messaged him and waiting to hear back.

Tested the voltages and getting a clean 5v output. So I guess the hacked in PSU is working ok. Tbh im just going to hang on and get a working motherboard, problem is with the serial number not being able to be read on the motherboard so could be a number of things

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I've a Sun Naomi PSU here you can have, probably have some cable looms as well from when I stripped mine out to Mame it.

Be great dude, thanks

• Advertisement

So I got some time I get stuck into the Naomi last night.

Battery & fans are good and no caps look bad to me. Getting a new EPROM burnt so hoping thats the problem.

Sending the HOTD2 chassis off to grant for a service and recap.

kn45h84.jpg

There's the current picture, it's like a white later of static over the image, anyone see anything like this before? Just thought better to ask before spending the money sending it over for him to tell me it's ****ed or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭geotrig

It looks and sounds like a dodgy connection somewhere, either with a remote board for the monitor which can cause issue's like you see but is normally intermittent or the connection between model 2 and montior.

its either cn3(maybe2) or cn7 i think is where the video connections are on model 2 depending on the version have a wiggle on them !

just googled CN3 on model 2c

Have you hooked up a 60-1 or similar to test the monitor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

For the naomi, check the continuity from the middle wire on the GPU fan to the pcb then test the next couple of hops on the pcb.

This middle wire sends the fan speed to the board and if it's not connected the naomi won't boot.

I had a non-working naomi2 before and this was the fix for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Have you hooked up a 60-1 or similar to test the monitor ?

that and also try the board on another vga monitor, a small LCD would work.

haha ignore me earlier I had it in my head it was HOTD and not hotd2 ,totally forgot what it was you got !
    switch the vga cables about ,same advise stands but just the have a mess around with the remote board and vgas ,even swap in the ones you have from crazy taxi

I tested out the fan on the Naomi and disconnected it and the usual blank screen and then reconnected and booted so reckon that's ok. I'll double check continuity though tonight.

I tested HOTD 2 in the crazy taxi and still had the same issue so so it's not the game cart.

Didn't even think to test the HOTD on a VGA, have one in the garage and all. I'll test that tonight. I'll also double check all the connections

So got a bit more testing on HOTD done tonight. Found a few stray cables floating around for the gun sensor and demag, hooked them back up and nothing.

The working gun only works when it's pressed up against the glass, so not 100% sure what the problem is there. Could be dirt as there's definitely a bit of dust around.

Leaving the monitor on for a little while made it somewhat viewable so I was able to get into the service menu and run a few test. Pics below, looks like a few ram problems.

Weird thing is that what the game boot text loads to the picture looks good.

kn45h84.jpg

mlFbKpN.jpg

xomUrwe.jpg

My monitor was buried under some stuff so I'll dig that out the weekend and test the VGA output on that

So looks like it's not a monitor issue at all

v4nfzTc.jpg

Same problems on the LCD, anyone know what issue that could be?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Any socketed chips or anything? id remove and clean all them first, i use an model making sanding thing like this to clean the legs.

I'll check over the weekend what's what in there and see.

Worst case scenario I'll just stick a dreamcast in there and do the same with crazy taxi :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I was looking back at your first post and in this image below there is a couple of big scratches on that green board, middle\right-ish on it have you checked continuity there with a multi-meter in case ? You probably have, but just said id mention it

tuC7stZ.jpg

Looks like gpu issue, usually caused by overheating unfortunately you’d need a revision 1 Naomi motherboard as they removed some of the parts in later Naomi revisions

• Advertisement

Yeah the fan at the back of the mobo was pretty crusted with dirt so I'd say that could be it.

Mentioned it to one of the lads I know. He's told me about piforce.... thinking that might be a better route to go down for HOTD until I find a scrap rivision one motherboard for parts, which could be a while

@optimus.

I haven't checked that out yet. I will over the weekend though, thanks eagle eye

Yeah the fan at the back of the mobo was pretty crusted with dirt so I'd say that could be it.

Mentioned it to one of the lads I know. He's told me about piforce.... thinking that might be a better route to go down for HOTD until I find a scrap rivision one motherboard for parts, which could be a while

Piforce is for netbooting from a pi but if the problem is the motherboard then it won’t help and I don’t think there’s a hotd image that is patched to work on regular Naomi 1 motherboard as it also uses a different bios as standard, the revision 1 motherboards do come up from time to time though so I’ll keep an eye out for one ..

Piforce is for netbooting from a pi but if the problem is the motherboard then it won’t help and I don’t think there’s a hotd image that is patched to work on regular Naomi 1 motherboard as it also uses a different bios as standard, the revision 1 motherboards do come up from time to time though so I’ll keep an eye out for one ..

Thanks man, I'll try and get one too getting the board reflowed or anything wouldn't do any good?

@optimus.

I haven't checked that out yet. I will over the weekend though, thanks eagle eye

That’s just the credit/service board same as in the sit down driving cabs (initial D/club kart etc) if a trace is broken there it will just prevent it going into test mode or demag it looks like

Thanks man, I'll try and get one too getting the board reflowed or anything wouldn't do any good?

You could try it but unfortunately the graphics chips are prone to frying if the fan doesn’t function as intended and you need a proper setup to replace, always worth a try though .. same happens to Naomi 2’s and you get a checkerboard effect on the graphics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

So looks like it's not a monitor issue at all

v4nfzTc.jpg

Same problems on the LCD, anyone know what issue that could be?

That looks like a ram fault to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭BGOllie

well know you know the monitor is fine :)
    prob a ram or ram logic fault yeah. have you tried another cart in there too ? at least you'll know if it's a mobbo issue or cart

Ic16 is the ram chip that’s most likely to go, don’t think other carts will boot in that motherboard without a different bios.. does it display the same when booted without that cart in?

• Advertisement

Ic16 is the ram chip that’s most likely to go, don’t think other carts will boot in that motherboard without a different bios.. does it display the same when booted without that cart in?

Ic 16, 18, 20, 22 gone according to the test.

I'll try it without and with the crazy taxi cart over the weekend

Advertisement