Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable theft on Dublin/Cork line

• 09-10-2019 7:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Yet again!

IE.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You would think they'd move on to the less attractive ( for thievery) fibre optic cabling?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You would think they'd move on to the less attractive ( for thievery) fibre optic cabling?

Can't carry electricity on glass.

A "cultured" action took place. We should be grateful the government has protected cultural incidences.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

A "cultured" action took place. We should be grateful the government has protected cultural incidences.

If you've something to say, why not coming out and say it?

Zebra3 wrote: »

I already said it, boss.

• Advertisement

It's an open secret.
    Love the way IE call it 'vandalism' and not theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It's an open secret.

Couldn't be upsetting Pavee Point!

I already said it, boss.

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

It's an open secret.

Ethnic cleansing of news yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭ALS

Live P.A announcer was calling it theft this morning in fairness, heard him numerous times ...
    Ethnic cleansing of news yet again.

• Advertisement

Have those with inside knowledge of this crime contacted AGS yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Have those with inside knowledge of this crime contacted AGS yet?

You're ploughing a lonely furrow there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I don't understand the reference to the 'Dublin/Cork line' in the thread title - the stretch of track where the theft vandalism happened also serves Galway, Westport, Waterford, Limerick and Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭enricoh

Not the howrya bosses but their ethnic cousins from Romania if i was a betting man

https://m.herald.ie/news/foreign-copper-gang-who-sparked-10m-blaze-put-lives-at-risk-during-theft-34642471.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,851 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Looks like an Irish rail employee managed to stop the attempted theft vandalism. Fair play to him https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/heuston-trains-running-on-time-again-after-thieves-tried-to-steal-copper-wire-1.4044963

Del.Monte wrote: »
    You're ploughing a lonely furrow there.

Beats being in a group of bigots.

coylemj wrote: »
    I don't understand the reference to the 'Dublin/Cork line' in the thread title - the stretch of track where the theft vandalism happened also serves Galway, Westport, Waterford, Limerick and Tralee.

You're being a tad pedantic. Most people would refer to Heuston/Cork as the Dublin/Cork line - the other places are served by branches.

Do you not think that's a bit rich given your own tagline?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

This is quite common just like the theft of lead, eir phone line poles, cables, exhausts off vehicles, fuel drainage from vehicles but more so home heating oil tanks, dodgy roof repair, driveway cleaning or an attempt and other gunthering....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is there a reason for such slander?

Very narrow minded.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Whoever is found to be buying it off said thieves should be prosecuted just as hard.. if there's no market for it, they won't be stealing it.

Proposals to regulate the scrap metal industry were voted down. Government isn't that bothered.
    So it will only keep on occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I know people find the implication that this was perpetrated by travellers distasteful. I don't know if it was travellers or not. However, I think that question is relevant: this is a highly disruptive crime and I believe there's a societal unwillingness to confront this group. If that's that true, then I think the softly softly approach is contributing to the woes of commuters.

Despite that, whoever did it are scumbags, irrespective of their ethnicity.

The UK can do it, we can't.
    Unless the lead is stripped off the roof of Leinster House I can't see our lot bothering.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/metal-theft-falls-after-introduction-of-scrap-metal-dealers-act

A review into the Scrap Metal Dealers Act, which brought in tough measures to crack down on the trade in stolen metal, has revealed the number of thefts has dropped from nearly 62,000 per year in 2012/13 to around 16,000 in 2015/16, potentially saving the UK economy hundreds of millions of pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

sugarman wrote: »
    Whoever is found to be buying it off said thieves should be prosecuted just as hard.. if there's no market for it, they won't be stealing it.

well the government did try set up a scrap metal register, but one particular group called it racist for some reason....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

enricoh wrote: »
    Not the howrya bosses but their ethnic cousins from Romania if i was a betting man

https://m.herald.ie/news/foreign-copper-gang-who-sparked-10m-blaze-put-lives-at-risk-during-theft-34642471.html

TBH I would expect them to be more clever and pick a better target and get the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You're being a tad pedantic.

Guilty m'Lud.
    Most people would refer to Heuston/Cork as the Dublin/Cork line - the other places are served by branches.

'Most people' :confused:

Remind me..... is the Red Cow hotel on the road to Cork, or the road to Limerick? Please treat this question in the same spirit of pedantry as my earlier post (quoted above).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Guilty m'Lud.

'Most people' :confused:

Remind me..... is the Red Cow hotel on the road to Cork, or the road to Limerick? Please treat this question in the same spirit of pedantry as my earlier post (quoted above).

Neither, it's on the road to Naas ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

well the government did try set up a scrap metal register, but one particular group called it racist for some reason....

Is that true? Would seem a terrible failure is responsibility if so, not that that would surprise me from Irish government.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The scrap metal industry doesn't need to be punished for this, only the people doing the actual thieving.

I bring the odd bit of scrap to be recycled and don't want more regulatory hoop jumping to put up with

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Isn't scrap metal worth very little these days anyhow? Of course if you're getting (taking) it for free it helps.

Advertisement