Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Wednesday Night War *Spoilers for AEW and NXT*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Which main roster guy will turn up on NXT next week to spike the ratings?

How long before Vince, Steph, Shane or HHH turn up in character to fight the evil AEW?

They've the right to do anything they want really, as I said earlier the bag of tricks they have at their disposal is much deeper than AEW's.

All credit to the latter as it sounds like they were really smart in how they made the show available across platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

From what I've seen from AEW so far, the majority of it has been at the same level of the hardcore garbage served up by ECW back in the day.

Cody deliberately taking a hard chair shot to the head, and a very awkward looking powerbomb on two chairs.

Also Johnny Emo eating thumb tacs.

They might have one or two good wrestling matches on each show, but it's not enough to sway me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

the main thing thatll hurt NXT is the fact its available the next day on the network

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Loved the first week. Quality-wise, I thought NXT absolutely destroyed AEW in the first hour. Riddle/Cole with Balor's appearance afterwards vs Cody in a long, not particularly great match giving himself a dramatic entrance told a story to me. Some of the AEW stuff was cringe like the forced Kevin Smith cameo. It felt like they were trying to prove they could run a WWE show rather than do their own thing: even the layout of the set etc was similar and it felt like the achievement was just having a TV show on TNT that looked professional, rather than pushing any boundaries with content.

Having said that, the second hour of AEW blew the second hour of NXT away for me. The women's match was fascinating and the 6-man was mental. I find it gas that people (not necessarily here mind) are going mad for Swagger now as if he's the saviour of pro-wrestling when they didn't give a rats when he was in Lucha Underground (and he was used really well there too). Opinions just flip-flop depending on what's 'cool'. Balor is cool until he's used as a chip against AEW, then the narrative switches to "Oooh he's been demoted!" Jack Swagger is used as a punchline to show how far Lucha Underground had fallen until he goes against WWE, then he's amazing and going to personally be responsible for the death of Vince McMahon. It's gas.

The fact that AEW won the ratings battle convincingly is the best outcome for all of us. I was convinced WWE would blow them away, just by sheer reach alone rather than any quality etc, and I still think they will in the long run but it's awesome to get a bit of competition and be able to have these chats. Really exciting time to be a fan.

sky88 wrote: »
    the main thing thatll hurt NXT is the fact its available the next day on the network

That's actually a massive plus for me, as well as YouTube highlights. I don't have two free hours to watch AEW every week so most weeks I'll be relying on highlight shows I can watch in my own time and then I'll watch the full show odd weeks. Being inaccessible, while I understand it as you have to watch it there and then or miss out, will only mean I'll almost definitely pay little/no attention to their TV after a few weeks. NXT moving back to proper YouTube highlights means I'll constantly be paying attention to them now and will watch when there's a big week.

• Advertisement

leggo wrote: »
    That's actually a massive plus for me, as well as YouTube highlights. I don't have two free hours to watch AEW every week so most weeks I'll be relying on highlight shows I can watch in my own time and then I'll watch the full show odd weeks. Being inaccessible, while I understand it as you have to watch it there and then or miss out, will only mean I'll almost definitely pay little/no attention to their TV after a few weeks. NXT moving back to proper YouTube highlights means I'll constantly be paying attention to them now and will watch when there's a big week.

was talking more about in america for ratings, for us its great as its easier for me to access as i dont have ITV and would have to look a nefarious ways to get it

Oh yeah it makes total sense like, especially considering their challenge is trying to convert YouTube followers into both TV viewers and ticket buyers. There's just a trade-off and, for me, it may be enough to ensure I'm a casual fan at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

sky88 wrote: »

You can DVR any show on TV now or watch it online minutes after it ends. If people really want to see a show they'll watch it live. Doesn't matter if its a TV series or sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

What time does NXT appear on the network now? Was looking around 10 last night and couldn't see it uploaded. Had to stream, which isn't ideal considering we pay for the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Pentecost

What time does NXT appear on the network now? Was looking around 10 last night and couldn't see it uploaded. Had to stream, which isn't ideal considering we pay for the network.

I'd assume it has to be at least 24 hours after it airs in the US so 1.00am Friday our time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I just watched AEW dynamite from start to finish then I put on NXT from start to finish.

I haven't watched NXT in ages so I felt like a blank canvas although I am familiar with NXT guys.

Enjoyed both shows a lot so its great to have competition.

The crowd for AEW really raised things up from what it was. Enjoyed the opening vignettes from Cody and Geuvara as I don't know him at all. Then Cody gets a cool entrance while Sammy just walks out. Outcome obvious at that point. My wife called Cody "the facebag guy" which was an old WWE ref. She still remembers and loves that gimmick!

Enjoyed the rest of the matches a lot except the awful womens match.They need to do better. Rest of the show was very enjoyable. Straight away the biggest problem is that all the ex WWE guys were made to look great. They need to promote their own stars more. The opening vignette for Guevara was very good but then he doesn't get a cool entrance like cody.

Had no idea of the 2 guys that were with Jericho. The young bucks are guys I kinda know of from reading about them but they look like 12 year olds. They were okay though. Omega I know of too from reading about him. I'm interested to see his feud with Moxley!
    I liked the ending a lot though!

NXT was enjoyable too and was put together better but they have been doing it for a while so you would expect that. Great matches all around.

So both shows were very good. Hope AEW keep improving but that was a great start. I will just watch both shows but AEW showed a ton of potential. Just need to promote the new guys a bit more. Very hard to do on the first show though as they needed eyeballs which they got!

Loved the first week. Quality-wise, I thought NXT absolutely destroyed AEW in the first hour. Riddle/Cole with Balor's appearance afterwards vs Cody in a long, not particularly great match giving himself a dramatic entrance told a story to me. Some of the AEW stuff was cringe like the forced Kevin Smith cameo. It felt like they were trying to prove they could run a WWE show rather than do their own thing: even the layout of the set etc was similar and it felt like the achievement was just having a TV show on TNT that looked professional, rather than pushing any boundaries with content.

Having said that, the second hour of AEW blew the second hour of NXT away for me. The women's match was fascinating and the 6-man was mental. I find it gas that people (not necessarily here mind) are going mad for Swagger now as if he's the saviour of pro-wrestling when they didn't give a rats when he was in Lucha Underground (and he was used really well there too). Opinions just flip-flop depending on what's 'cool'. Balor is cool until he's used as a chip against AEW, then the narrative switches to "Oooh he's been demoted!" Jack Swagger is used as a punchline to show how far Lucha Underground had fallen until he goes against WWE, then he's amazing and going to personally be responsible for the death of Vince McMahon. It's gas.

The fact that AEW won the ratings battle convincingly is the best outcome for all of us. I was convinced WWE would blow them away, just by sheer reach alone rather than any quality etc, and I still think they will in the long run but it's awesome to get a bit of competition and be able to have these chats. Really exciting time to be a fan.

Well for once I can't disagree with you.

I think the E long term will win this unless Cody, Omega and the Bucks prove to be creative geniuses. Jericho presence helps but they don't have the well Trips has.

Well for once I can't disagree with you.

I think the E long term will win this unless Cody, Omega and the Bucks prove to be creative geniuses. Jericho presence helps but they don't have the well Trips has.

A bad injury spell from some of the elite,& Moxley would be tough to get by. Add in I think Jericho is touring soon they need to make the rest of the roster stars soon

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It airs "live" on the network Friday morning Irish time. I think it's 1/2am or there abouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

AEW holding strong against NXT, despite a drop in ratings for both shows.

https://twitter.com/PWTorch/status/1182387488901521409
    WEDNESDAY RATINGS: AEW down to 1.018 million from 1.409 million last week. NXT down to 790,000 from 845,000 last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,085 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Big drop was to be expected for AEW but is that too big a drop for week 2?

interesting numbers wasn’t expecting the drop for aew to be that big

• Lithium93_ wrote: »
    AEW holding strong against NXT, despite a drop in ratings for both shows.

https://twitter.com/PWTorch/status/1182387488901521409

A further 122,000 watched live on TruTV as well. There was a chance a baseball game would overrun or something so that's why it was simulcast live on 2 channels.

So I presume it should be 1,140,000 all together (added to the 1,018,000)

Either way still AEW 2 - 0 NXT

That's an interesting drop alright for AEW. Not worried about it but it does make the likes of Meltzer look like a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

https://twitter.com/iamjohnpollock/status/1184927712709955584
    This week's viewership:

AEW: 1,014,000 w/ a 0.44 in P18-49 (1,018,000 and 0.46 last week)

NXT: 714,000 and 0.20 in P18-49 (790,000 and 0,22 last week)

• Advertisement

WWE really need to make a big call in regards the NXT replays on the Network. Don't change it in the rest of the world but change it for US viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

WWE really need to make a big call in regards the NXT replays on the Network. Don't change it in the rest of the world but change it for US viewers.

If your expecting that is costing them getting more viewers it ain't. I'm pretty sure AEW is replayed immediately after it airs & people are making the choice to watch AEW live instead.
    You could record one of them as they are broadcast too. I'm pretty sure recorded programming is included in ratings.
    It's a pity both are losing viewers as the weeks pass. I think wrestling had a great chance a few weeks ago to gain new fans & the shows didn't get that, Smackdown in particular which had a huge opportunity on FOX absolutely shat the bed 2 weeks in a row imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Looking at the TV guide for America next week, AEW is repeated at 1 am (the screenshot displays our timezone). On a somewhat related matter, has anyone ever browsed an American TV guide website? They're poorly designed, irritating to navigate through and if there's a filter, which most don't, it doesn't fúcking work.

493216.png

It’s not that both shows are ‘losing’ viewers. It’s that a lot of people tuned in the first week out of curiosity because it was an event. There’s a ridiculous amount of wrestling each week now, you can’t expect people to watch it all live. Does everyone here watch whatever shows they like live as they air every week? Aside from sport I barely watch anything as it airs anymore. If you don’t, you wouldn’t be counted in the ratings, but it doesn’t mean you’re less interested than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

It’s not that both shows are ‘losing’ viewers. It’s that a lot of people tuned in the first week out of curiosity because it was an event. There’s a ridiculous amount of wrestling each week now, you can’t expect people to watch it all live. Does everyone here watch whatever shows they like live as they air every week? Aside from sport I barely watch anything as it airs anymore. If you don’t, you wouldn’t be counted in the ratings, but it doesn’t mean you’re less interested than others.

Ah Vince

Nice to see you’ve joined boards 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I feel with the advent of the internet, streaming and DVR services, there will never be a true "war" such as there was with Raw & Nitro back in the day. You had to watch one or the other back then. These days, you can watch it all at a time that suits you.

You really don't have to pick a side

The only thing that worries me is that AEW kinda need the rating. Good ratings mean they will keep their tv show and get the advertisers.

WWE don't really need the ratings. So if you enjoy the competition and want it to thrive you kinda have to tune in live to AEW so they can pay the bills, more relevant for the US market though.

I don't know Tony Khan so not sure if he would continue to invest if the ROI plummets.

Ah Vince

Nice to see you’ve joined boards 😂😂

What? You realise I’m talking about AEW too? Stupid comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

What? You realise I’m talking about AEW too? Stupid comeback.

It was a joke. This is a line commonly pedaled out by WWE to networks as their ratings dropped

im really surprised both shows are actually doing the numbers there doing tbh i thought theyd both cancel each other out

• Advertisement

It was a joke. This is a line commonly pedaled out by WWE to networks as their ratings dropped

That’s because it’s true though, of all forms of entertainment not just WWE or wrestling in general. I’ve watched every second of Dynamite so far (while catching NXT highlights on YouTube, but sure I’m biased towards WWE, go figure) but haven’t watched live once. NJPW would probably be my favourite promotion and air at a more convenient timeslot here...but even then I struggle to catch them live all the time. Do you yourself only ever watch all of your favourite wrestling live or do you watch in your own time? We’re the on-demand generation and now ratings are just one way of gauging interest. Unfortunately we just don’t have access to a lot of the other ways to know the full picture.

Advertisement