Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Calculation of Tax Inheritance

• 08-09-2019 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭

I just want to clarify how the tax is calculated. Say you got 100,000 over the threshold of 320,000 euro. This means there is a tax bill of 33,000. But say you had liabilities of 24,000 are they :

a) taken directly off the 100,000 which is what I think it is or

b) taken from the 33,000 -24,000= 9000 to pay.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

holdfast wrote: »
    I just want to clarify how the tax is calculated. Say you got 100,000 over the threshold of 320,000 euro. This means there is a tax bill of 33,000. But say you had liabilities of 24,000 are they :

a) taken directly off the 100,000 which is what I think it is or

b) taken from the 33,000 -24,000= 9000 to pay.

Thanks in advance

What do you mean by liabilities of 24,000??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

Paying of solicitors- insurance on lost shares so they could be remedy in my name - funeral expenses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

you pay that out of the estate. you get what's left after everything is paid for - that's your inheritance.

Thanks blergh. No that what I was thinking, I could not see them treating it like an businesses where you write off the losses against tax. Well that my limited understanding of that too.

thanks

I just want to check something the valuation date for the shares was in Nov 18 and the death was in Jan 18. Does this alter the tax paid as the shares were around the same value ??

The CAT allowance was 310 in 2018 and 320 in 2019. Thanks, I think the paragraph below allows of the date to be different from the death.

" The category which most inheritances fall into is the general category, i.e. the valuation date is the earliest date on which the personal representative was entitled to retain the benefit, or on which he retained the benefit, or on which he delivered the benefit. The issue is how to identify when the personal representative is “entitled to retain the subject matter of the inheritance for the benefit of the successor….”

• Advertisement
Advertisement