Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 241: Cormier vs. Miocic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not surprised. As great as the jump to HW was for DC. People really forgot that Stipe was originally a decent favourite for good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Cormier was much better fighter. Shame he lost via the same trick Jones stung him with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

thought DC was going to retire there

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Great fight, feel sorry for DC think he would have retired anyways had he won and gone out on a high, dont think theres anything left for him to compete for at this stage and think he will call it a day. Fair play to Stipe though, great comeback and finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    thought DC was going to retire there

The quivering in his voice there says he'll retire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Very disappointing.

HW is just so high variance.

Really thought DC had him but the body shots changed it all and he closed the show well.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Warning I know f all about mma but was Diazs boxing as good as we all hear and is his cardio as good as we all hear, he was in some good positions to flurry a load of punches last night and it was frustrating to watch when he didn't use his opportunitys to stand dish out a flurry. He looked tired early too.
    I could be talking absolute shiit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Post-fight Nate is some craic.

Big ol' snort of a laugh when he didn't seem to know who Colby is when asked about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Beaming for Stipe, savage body shots. Feel kinda bad for DC, would have been a nice way to retire if he got the w.

Nate vs Jorge has to happen ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Just watched it there. Delighted for Miocic, I wouldn't be the biggest fan of Cormier. Nothing personal, just not a fan of his style.

It was an enjoyable fight, but the stand up skills on show where beyond poor. It seems there's literally no thought to defence in their stand up.

There's not an ounce of head movement from either fighter. It looks to me like their strategy is they'll hit each other, and they'll see who's face can withstand the most damage. It's pretty archaic really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Certainly a trilogy on the cards now. Can't not happen really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

There's not an ounce of head movement from either fighter. It looks to me like their strategy is they'll hit each other, and they'll see who's face can withstand the most damage. It's pretty archaic really

That's HW for you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

DC often seems to give up on his wrestling when he's winning, if he'd stuck with it he'd have won this one too. I could see another rematch

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jesus Max, let me grab the tissues first.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1UWYyYBF29/?igshid=mml3u8g3k72j

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

That really was one hell of a card.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What a fun card.

Romero and Costa, two granite chins! Each of them calling each other into the centre was just awesome. $50k bonuses well deserved!

Nate looked so good after 3 years off, that's no easy feat picking apart Pettis like he did. Excellent pressure throughout, I can't wait for him and Jorge.

Stipe with possibly the best recovery around I've seen, for 3 rounds he had absolutely nothing for DC. That change up to the body shots was genius, gutted for DC but I think he was too cocky, he gave no respect to Stipe's power and he should of stuck to his wrestling and seen it out. Delighted Stipe is the champ again though, he one tough SOB. The retirement bells are ringing for DC now but I hope he has one more fight left in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I'd say DC is gutted the Lesnar fight didn't happen. 500k for the fight. Would've earned 3 or 4 times that for a Lesnar fight.

The Nal wrote: »
    I'd say DC is gutted the Lesnar fight didn't happen. 500k for the fight. Would've earned 3 or 4 times that for a Lesnar fight.

Ya I would have liked to see him get paid, deserves it like. He could still get a decent enough payday with a trilogy fight against Stipe or Jones but that quiver in his voice Saturday said to me he's done.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

rob316 wrote: »
    Ya I would have liked to see him get paid, deserves it like. He could still get a decent enough payday with a trilogy fight against Stipe or Jones but that quiver in his voice Saturday said to me he's done.

He was worse in his interview as the second fight with Jones. He might decide to call it a day but I wouldn't say he's done based on his interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Full salaries for UFC 241 as provided by the California State Athletic Commission:

Stipe Miocic: $800,000 — $750,000 flat fee plus $50,000 for ‘Performance of the Night’
    Daniel Cormier: $500,000 flat fee.
    Nate Diaz: $250,000 flat fee.
    Anthony Pettis: $155,000
    Paulo Costa: $170,000 — $60,000 to show, $60,000 to win plus $50,000 for ‘Fight of the Night’
    Yoel Romero: $200,000 — $150,000 to show plus $50,000 for ‘Fight of the Night’
    Sodiq Yusuff: $28,000 — $14,000 to show, $14,000 to win
    Gabriel Benitez: $40,000
    Derek Brunson: $190,000 — $95,000 to show, $95,000 to win
    Ian Heinisch: $25,000
    Khama Worthy: $74,000 — $12,000 to show, $12,000 to win plus $50,000 for ‘Performance of the Night’
    Devonte Smith: $23,000
    Cory Sandhagen: $154,000 — $77,000 to show, $77,000 to win
    Raphael Assuncao: $79,000
    Drakkar Klose: $56,000 — $28,000 to show, $28,000 to win
    Christos Giagos: $28,000
    Casey Kenney: $28,000 — $14,000 to show, $14,000 to win
    Manny Bermudez: $20,000
    Hannah Cifers: $28,000 — $14,000 to show, $14,000 to win
    Jodie Esquibel: $10,000
    Kyung Ho Kang: $44,000 — $22,000 to show, $22,000 to win
    Brandon Davis: $21,000
    Sabina Mazo: $20,000 — $10,000 to show, $10,000 to win
    Shana Dobson: $12,000

Surprised that Miocic's flat fee was 50% bigger than Cormier's. Neither were getting a win bonus. Maybe DC was getting more in PPV hits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DC is definitely getting a PPV slice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Mellor wrote: »
    DC is definitely getting a PPV slice.
    Was just gonna say this.
    He is 100% getting a PPV cut, so should make a bit more than the "official" figures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

The Nal wrote: »

He'll still earn several times more than than. 500k + ppv points. Himself, Miocic, Diaz and Petis will all make a few million from PPV points.

He'll still earn several times more than than. 500k + ppv points. Himself, Miocic, Diaz and Petis will all make a few million from PPV points.

No they won't make that much, I'm going to guess the buy rate on this won't be much more than 600k. I doubt Stipe and Petitis are getting points, Diaz maybe, Cormier yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Jones should step up. Beats Stipe handily!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

rob316 wrote: »
    No they won't make that much, I'm going to guess the buy rate on this won't be much more than 600k. I doubt Stipe and Petitis are getting points, Diaz maybe, Cormier yes.

600k still = several million each.
    All 4 of the main and co-main get points.

600k still = several million each.
    All 4 of the main and co-main get points.

They are not getting that much, no chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Main and Co-main of PPV cards always get points on the PPV. The agents they have negotiating their contracts would make that priority number one if they had any brain cells at all. The amount of % of the PPV is definitely variable depending on drawing power though. Diaz, for example, would almost certainly be getting more PPV % points than Stipe and Pettis.

Anything over 500k buys means most would walk away with a few million at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭xtal191

Hasn't the ESPN deal completely changed how PPV points work now?

I could've sworn I read about fighters getting way less money from PPV since the ESPN deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭cletus

You are vastly overestimating how much is made on ppv points. Below is a report on this very topic, giving a breakdown of how much at each step a fighter gets.

Essentially, a 600,000 buy card would net $750,000 in ppv points.

Also, other info released as part of the antitrust lawsuit suggest normally only the Champion is on ppv points, not just main carders, and almost definitely not co-main, unless it's also a championship fight.

Note, the UFC do not stick rigidly to the outline below, but in general it's how it works

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/8/8/20754613/ufc-lawsuit-docs-ppv-paydays-for-conor-mcgregor-ronda-rousey-jon-jones-and-brock-lesnar-mma-news

Advertisement