Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you like Sean Scully?

• 30-07-2019 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Sean Scully is a famous, lauded Irish artist and one of the best-sellers from this isle. Here is some of his work:

I think it sucks.

What do you think?

Do you like Sean Scully? 7 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    pawdeemeeeehmy3centsSorry about thatSimmsj26078571764 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

never heard of him..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Who? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Pretty much the second best-selling Irishman this century after Bacon.

More of his boring stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I think it is awful, however, looking down that list of his work I quite like the photo of Inis Oirr V, but if the farmer built the wall and Sean Scully just photographed it then the farmer is the artist in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,066 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Saw him on TV, thought he was a nice man. Your Q answered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

No
    Water John wrote: »
    Saw him on TV, thought he was a nice man. Your Q answered.

Brilliant TV program on recently. His work doesn't appear to be much but to my eye about 90% of it has something that I really like but I can't define.

The problem for some people may be that his art seems to simple and too quickly produced but that doesn't stop it being art.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,308 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I was impressed by his career but nonplussed by his work until I actually stood in a room with it. Now I am a massive massive fan. The same sensation as standing in front of an actual Rothko or some of Turner.. I see a link between all three in terms of what they were trying to achieve. Art to be seen physically, print or internet will never do it justice.

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That said, I consider his work to be bland in its immediacy. A series of starkly dabbed horizontal columns does not raise this pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 skybox2014

I like the Inis Oirr V (and while the farmer built the wall, Scully photographed it, framed it, decided on the black and white color and took it up a level - I guess that is the art.)

Lot 52: Sean Scully, Landline Blue, Aquatint, 2014 is striking too.

Yes, it is all mainly abstract but so what! Art is in the eye of the beholder.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of Barry Flanagan at all. Do not get it at all.
    https://imma.ie/artists/barry-flanagan/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

My view: Great melancholy, earthy tones, with a lot of personality in his brush work without being too splashy. And same with his stripe shapes, they have just the right amount of scruffiness to make them interesting.

His work is often large and really seeing it in person makes a huge difference, similar to seeing a Rothko on a poster vs in real life where the colour totally envelops and dwarfs you.

The flip side, I will say his work is very repetitive, though there are reasons for that, both creative and professional. People like to be able to see a work and say, 'Oh, that's a so and so work' to feel smart. And then once your work becomes well known and thus expensive, you kind of feel like you have to repeat yourself as collectors won't spend major money on a Scully that doesn't look like a Scully, as it may not be as valuable in future.

However, artists also repeat themselves because they genuinely are interested in a theme and still have a desire to explore it over and over. Why would someone want to keep exploring rectangles and squares? Well, for one thing, abstract art is about the picture plane and reduction or distilling to only what is most necessary. And the grid is the basis of every image you see, that's why we have pixels on all screens etc.

People who think abstract art 'sucks' just don't get it, due to having undeveloped taste or just a lack of creativity in general. Which is fine. Tbh I never liked it growing up, all I drew was comic books, but after going to art school my tastes developed.

They tend to be the type of people who, if you showed them a photorealistic painting, would say, 'Oh, now that's a good painting!' But they are confusing verisimilitude with talent. They tend to be very left brain types. And they are missing some important facts- we have had photography for a long time now so don't need painting to do that as much (though I like a lot of realistic work too) and also most of those painting are made with the help of some type of aids like a projector or camera obscura or at least a basic grid transfer technique, which is why they often lack energy and flavour as the focus is on technical skill.

It's usually the same type of people who think Bob Dylan sucks cause he doesnt have much of a singing voice and would compare him unfavorably to an X factor winner. They usually have a job like estate agent or something. They think Marvel movies are great, anything less action packed is boring.

As you get older, you tend to enjoy simplicity more when it's executed well I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

He’s done alright for painting a few coloured squares on canvas. His art changes hands for several million so fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

My view: Great melancholy, earthy tones, with a lot of personality in his brush work without being too splashy. And same with his stripe shapes, they have just the right amount of scruffiness to make them interesting.

His work is often large and really seeing it in person makes a huge difference, similar to seeing a Rothko on a poster vs in real life where the colour totally envelops and dwarfs you.

The flip side, I will say his work is very repetitive, though there are reasons for that, both creative and professional. People like to be able to see a work and say, 'Oh, that's a so and so work' to feel smart. And then once your work becomes well known and thus expensive, you kind of feel like you have to repeat yourself as collectors won't spend major money on a Scully that doesn't look like a Scully, as it may not be as valuable in future.

However, artists also repeat themselves because they genuinely are interested in a theme and still have a desire to explore it over and over. Why would someone want to keep exploring rectangles and squares? Well, for one thing, abstract art is about the picture plane and reduction or distilling to only what is most necessary. And the grid is the basis of every image you see, that's why we have pixels on all screens etc.

People who think abstract art 'sucks' just don't get it, due to having undeveloped taste or just a lack of creativity in general. Which is fine. Tbh I never liked it growing up, all I drew was comic books, but after going to art school my tastes developed.

They tend to be the type of people who, if you showed them a photorealistic painting, would say, 'Oh, now that's a good painting!' But they are confusing verisimilitude with talent. They tend to be very left brain types. And they are missing some important facts- we have had photography for a long time now so don't need painting to do that as much (though I like a lot of realistic work too) and also most of those painting are made with the help of some type of aids like a projector or camera obscura or at least a basic grid transfer technique, which is why they often lack energy and flavour as the focus is on technical skill.

It's usually the same type of people who think Bob Dylan sucks cause he doesnt have much of a singing voice and would compare him unfavorably to an X factor winner. They usually have a job like estate agent or something. They think Marvel movies are great, anything less action packed is boring.

As you get older, you tend to enjoy simplicity more when it's executed well I think.

What a load of pretentious twaddle - basically what you're saying is that if you don't like these paintings you're a stupid, uneducated oaf. I've never heard of this guy and just saw the thread coming up on the front page and had a look out of curiosity. What I saw was, for the most part, a bunch of different coloured parallel lines that anyone with a paintbrush and a few tins of paint could do themselves. They're fine to hang up in an otherwise undecorated office, I suppose, but anyone wanting one could save themselves a lot of money by knocking something that's pretty much identical out in their garage. But as long as people are prepared to buy into the nonsense then fair play to the guy, at least he's doing well out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,308 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Zaph wrote: »
    What a load of pretentious twaddle - basically what you're saying is that if you don't like these paintings you're a stupid, uneducated oaf. I've never heard of this guy and just saw the thread coming up on the front page and had a look out of curiosity. What I saw was, for the most part, a bunch of different coloured parallel lines that anyone with a paintbrush and a few tins of paint could do themselves. They're fine to hang up in an otherwise undecorated office, I suppose, but anyone wanting one could save themselves a lot of money by knocking something that's pretty much identical out in their garage. But as long as people are prepared to buy into the nonsense then fair play to the guy, at least he's doing well out of it.

I can tell you, as somebody tasked at one time to reproduce a Rothko, you don't knock them out.

I agree about the poster, wrong way to try and encourage people to see these paintings. Genuinely they are hugely spiritual in person. Keep your mind open and go to the Hugh Lane and spend some time with them.
    They are different to figurative art.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Luckily enough, he's not compulsory.

Glad to have sorted that out for you, OP!

Zaph wrote: »

Not necessarily uneducated, or even unintelligent. Just not possessing an intelligence that is creative.

Ah, the old, 'anyone could do it' nonsense. Or its variation, 'A child could do it.' You want to talk about twaddle?

First, no you couldn't. Go ahead and try. Make a painting of stripes and upload it and it will be laughable how obvious it is what yours is missing compared to the artist's work. You will find it a challenge to even mix up a colour that has such nuance to it, let alone come up with a composition that is as balanced, or that has brushwork that has the same soul.

And secondly, anyone DIDN'T do it, he did, and that's a huge difference that can't be ignored. Believe it or not, the experts are experts for a reason, and while you may not see a body of work as important, that's the same as me, who knows little about cars, not understanding Nascar or the Donegal rally that I have to endure every summer. I don't get it and think it's idiotic, but that's just me (and also because people die in it every year).

It's okay if you don't get it, it's not for everyone. But I always find it funny the way people get so angry about it, like they can't accept that they are lacking the eye for it, and it stings them so bad to that they have to declare it's something worthless, when it's obviously not or it wouldn't be famous and sell for so much money, or they say it's easy to do when it is actually harder to do than they realize, and anyway, as I said earlier, and will repeat again as you obvs missed it and I can't really stress it enough: degree of difficulty is NOT the point of art!

Anyone could have come up with the idea for a pet rock. But the guy who did, is the one who made the money.

I can tell you, as somebody tasked at one time to reproduce a Rothko, you don't knock them out.

I agree about the poster, wrong way to try and encourage people to see these paintings. Genuinely they are hugely spiritual in person. Keep your mind open and go to the Hugh Lane and spend some time with them.
    They are different to figurative art.

Exactly. People who say they could do it are always people who have never tried, probably never made any art. The colours and surfaces are made of layers and using the artists own techniques that are deceptively simple looking, but are the result of hard work and trying to recreate it is not as easy as it seems.

I had to recreate a Scully print for my printmaking class and while a painting would have been way easier, I was surprised how difficult it was to get the tones right. In painting we had to recreate a Hockney and that was tough going. I also had to do a 5 ft x 7 ft Goya built to actual size. I'd rather do either of those though than try to do a Rothko.

It's like listening to the riffs of the Ramones or Black Sabbath and then you try to do them on guitar, they are just simple chords but if you ever hear someone try to cover Iron Man it never sounds right. Only the original can do it right. But some people just don't get it and they never will!

I'm creative. I don't work as an estate agent and I've never seen a Marvel movie. I do think Bob Dylan sucks, but not due to his voice. I've been to one of Picasso's houses. I can even draw. Admittedly, I'm no art expert.

I know what I like: Miro, F. Bacon, Rembrandt, Caravaggio, Renoir.

Where's the melancholy? Where's the personality in his brush work? What's interesting about scruffiness?

I'm not arguing, I just don't see it.
    skybox2014 wrote: »

Having said that, I'm not a fan of Barry Flanagan at all. Do not get it at all.
    https://imma.ie/artists/barry-flanagan/
    I like The Drummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Let's just say that Sean Scully is no more of an artistic charlatan than Mark Rothko! As for Andy Warhol ........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Always Tired: "But I always find it funny the way people get so angry about it, like they can't accept that they are lacking the eye for it, and it stings them so bad to that they have to declare it's something worthless"

I think it's more your supercilious tone people were taking umbrage with, rather than necessarily a preference, or lack thereof, for the artist's work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

My view: Great melancholy, earthy tones, with a lot of personality in his brush work without being too splashy. And same with his stripe shapes, they have just the right amount of scruffiness to make them interesting..

I too haven't a clue about art. In my mind you are describing some parralel lines. Saying things like "just the amount scruffiness" and "not being too splashy" makes no sense. If he was painting very clean lines you could just as easily say that "this guy paints with such precision" and if he was splashing a lot you could just as easily say "he has a disregard for neatness" and in both cases you would be correct. You could literally describe a piece of toast and make it sound like a piece of art.

It just doesn't make sense why these paintings would make millions to me, other than people say they should. So is a successful artist just about hype? Not having a go by the way, I'm genuinely interested to know more about why this guy is considered such a genius

• Advertisement

Sean Scully hates Andy Warhol because he wanted to film his friend overdosing. He says, and I quote, "He was the devil incarnate".

Found this comment on a website:
    I shared a studio with Scully at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne in 1968. He was painting stripes then. I never could see anything in his paintings and still can't. Neither can my wife, an art historian specializing in avant-garde art.
    Here a painting of his that isn't just stripes and squares. Can't say I like this either.

502FF81B-71FA-4439-A68D-B50E94DE2844-426x590.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

I'm sure the lad is inconsolably weeping into a huge pile of money.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Mod: Folks, please stick to replying as to whether you like his work or not (and why, if you so wish), but please cut out the "I'm better than you because I "get" it/I don't "get" it" talk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Simms

No
    Mod: <<SNIP>> Irrelevant to this thread.

No
    Mod: <<snip>> No questioning Mods decisions on the public threads.

No
    Mod: Cut it out.

Advertisement