Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda shoots himself in the foot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

1874 wrote: »
    One Garda got shot by a colleague armed with a shotgun, not sure if thats the incident you're referring to?

2001 Abbeylix bank raid.Det Sgt J Eiffe RIP Outcome "Friendly fire"[Isn't] from a shotgun buckshot load

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/inquest-into-garda-death-at-bank-raid-delayed-due-to-appeals-25916176.html

Suspect being shot in the face.
    Co Limerick 3 years ago outside Newcastlewest.Lithuinian national involved in a gang at a road block.Ruled accidental discharge [or in hunters terms "buck fever"].Major adrenaline dump into the system in those situations,vision narrows,breathing picks up,motor skills affected.Not a good place to be if you have never practised pr been in that situation alot. It is a very proable explanation as to why US LEO's have mag dumped their side arms into suspects/victims and reloaded and emptied a 2nd mag as well,and have not realised they have done such.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/man-shot-in-the-face-by-a-garda-in-co-limerick-1.2703763

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Knowing a few of the AGS who are armed, lets just say I wouldn't be in a hurry to go out hunting with them, it seems that just because you are a member of the force automatically elevates you to Dirty Harry status.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

2001 Abbeylix bank raid.Det Sgt J Eiffe RIP Outcome "Friendly fire"[Isn't] from a shotgun buckshot load

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/inquest-into-garda-death-at-bank-raid-delayed-due-to-appeals-25916176.html

Suspect being shot in the face.
    Co Limerick 3 years ago outside Newcastlewest.Lithuinian national involved in a gang at a road block.Ruled accidental discharge [or in hunters terms "buck fever"].Major adrenaline dump into the system in those situations,vision narrows,breathing picks up,motor skills affected.Not a good place to be if you have never practised pr been in that situation alot. It is a very proable explanation as to why US LEO's have mag dumped their side arms into suspects/victims and reloaded and emptied a 2nd mag as well,and have not realised they have done such.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/man-shot-in-the-face-by-a-garda-in-co-limerick-1.2703763
    must be the latter one, only recently, I thought it was a Garda shot accidentally by another Garda, I'll openly say I'm not concerned about the criminal, more of it was a ND, if he got shot in a fracas then I wouldn't even think about it, but they state it was accidental. I was sure there was one in the last few years where a Garda was shot by a colleague, maybe I was mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

1874 wrote: »
    must be the latter one, only recently, I thought it was a Garda shot accidentally by another Garda, I'll openly say I'm not concerned about the criminal, more of it was a ND, if he got shot in a fracas then I wouldn't even think about it, but they state it was accidental. I was sure there was one in the last few years where a Garda was shot by a colleague, maybe I was mistaken.

I recall a shooting between AGS at Dublin Airport some years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

I have known a few detectives, who did carry, and simply put, they were not gun guys like we are. They had zero interest in firearms apart from as a tool for their job, much the same as a pc or squad car.

• Advertisement

It shows in alot of Supers and Cheifs attitudes to applicants...They draw from "their personal" experiances of carrying a firearm in a work situation and cant figure out why anyone would want these yokes for a hobby.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

I know its out there on this thread that you gotta keep your finger of the trigger, but with all the gear that AGS carry - it is also possible that the trigger got caught on an article of equipment - particularly if the guy was in a seated position, reaching around to back seat or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭freddieot

I would expect that their issued holsters cover the trigger guard area, in particular to stop this happening otherwise they are useless for normal carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

I agree, but a lot of previous comments have pointed out that he should have kept the finger off the trigger - if the gun was holstered then it should not have ND'ed - cause he wouldn't be able to have his finger on the trigger.

UNLESS as previously mentioned - maybe it was an MP7 (?) then it would not have been in a holster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

Having owned a H&K P7, I can tell you that the design is such that you really HAVE to intend to squeeze that trigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Is it possible that the gun was faulty and a bump might have caused it to discharge? Unlikely but still a possibility?

That's about as likely as the Tooth Fairy setting it off while he wasn't looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

MarkR wrote: »
    Shot while on duty. He'll be on the pigs back. Forgive the pun.

retire on PTS and big compo

dc99 wrote: »
    I agree, but a lot of previous comments have pointed out that he should have kept the finger off the trigger - if the gun was holstered then it should not have ND'ed - cause he wouldn't be able to have his finger on the trigger.

UNLESS as previously mentioned - maybe it was an MP7 (?) then it would not have been in a holster.

Or maybe he was just goofing around with it.Something he should have known better about if he was an instructor??

It's what we call a 'footwell fumble' - a not-unusual occurrence when handguns are being fondled instead of holstered. Just think about the 'how' of getting shot in the foot whilst in a vehicle, and you'll get the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

tac foley wrote: »
    It's what we call a 'footwell fumble' - a not-unusual occurrence when handguns are being fondled instead of holstered. Just think about the 'how' of getting shot in the foot whilst in a vehicle, and you'll get the picture.

Actually would be quite difficult to shoot ones foot in the car footwell I would have thought-

Chiparus wrote: »
    Actually would be quite difficult to shoot ones foot in the car footwell I would have thought-

Au contraire, dear Watson, imagine that you are sat in your car seat, meanwhile caressing your, ahem, cocked and loaded duty handgun, when your finger, in a fit of manic stupidity, engages the trigger and for reasons best known to only you and the G**d L**d, squeezes it.

The bullet will more likely than not, go downwards - either through your leg, or, this having happened to a police officer (a breed of men renowned in myth and legend as owners of overlarge feet), through one or both of them.

If not this way, then how?

When you have eliminated the impossible (like an angel or demon materialising in the car and 'helping things along'), whatever remains, however improbable, is the truth.

Or, while we are in a philosophisory mood, consider old Bill Occam and his shaving device.

IOW, what is THE most likely course of events?

Please tell us your version.

Au contraire, dear Watson, imagine that you are sat in your car seat, meanwhile caressing your, ahem, cocked and loaded duty handgun, when your finger, in a fit of manic stupidity, engages the trigger and for reasons best known to only you and the G**d L**d, squeezes it.

The bullet will more likely than not, go downwards - either through your leg, or, this having happened to a police officer (a breed of men renowned in myth and legend as owners of overlarge feet), through one or both of them.

If not this way, then how?

When you have eliminated the impossible (like an angel or demon materialising in the car and 'helping things along'), whatever remains, however improbable, is the truth.

Or, while we are in a philosophisory mood, consider old Bill Occam and his shaving device.

IOW, what is THE most likely course of events?

Please tell us your version.

The guard shot himself in the foot outside the car?

Chiparus wrote: »
    The guard shot himself in the foot outside the car?

Quote from the initial report - 'The officer, stationed in the south-west of the country, was injured after his weapon discharged while he was in a garda patrol vehicle.

Over to you, Sir.

You can believe the gardaí and what they say.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/icrime/firearms-licence-forms-altered-by-gardai-high-court-hears-181340.html

(He was not even shot in the foot, but in the ankle.)

• Advertisement

I think you'll find, in most cases, that the ankle is closely located to the foot, unless, of course, things are different where you live.

Right now, Sir, your record on 'quote-quoting' is batting a solid zero - MY quote -

News Irish News Thursday 25 July 2019

Probe launched after garda accidentally shoots himself in the foot

Soooooo, either put up, or................................

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/garda-undergoes-surgery-after-accidentally-shooting-himself-in-foot-1.3961863

Apparently the gun was rotting away.

"The security source said it was always possible that some part of a gun may “degrade” which could possibly lead to a malfunction.'

I think you'll find, in most cases, that the ankle is closely located to the foot, unless, of course, things are different where you live.

Right now, Sir, your record on 'quote-quoting' is batting a solid zero - MY quote -

News Irish News Thursday 25 July 2019

Probe launched after garda accidentally shoots himself in the foot

Soooooo, either put up, or................................
    Jeez you are in bad form Tac, You should take a chill and stop ranting, clearly you are getting upset ,

I am just questioning what I feel is an improbable story ( to me) about a guard about to take a break managing to shoot himself in the ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

I think the state may have a case there against SIG, I mean selling firearms that can accidentally go off all on there own, there is a serious health and safety risk there.
    What could possibly fail in a gun that would cause a round to be chambered, pull back the hammer and pull the trigger ALL on its own without any human involvement that would cause it to fire.
    I think what they need here is a young priest and an old priest to get to the bottom of that one.
    I'm sure they will convince themselves that this NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE not accidental was a fault in the gun and not anything else.
    Obviously all SIGs will need to be recalled immediately.

The original story,and from what the Nationals are feeding off.
    Best line "A Garda source said that the injured Garda is "very respected" and "is very experianced in using firearms":)

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2019/07/25/garda-recovering-from-accidental-shooting/?fbclid=IwAR2vUhqYK5GgsvBHC7kubIblu4Y_5UlSXqEJPlg5tAYpIimXzwhfiMdVGJE

solarwinds wrote: »
    I think the state may have a case there against SIG, I mean selling firearms that can accidentally go off all on there own, there is a serious health and safety risk there.
    What could possibly fail in a gun that would cause a round to be chambered, pull back the hammer and pull the trigger ALL on its own without any human involvement that would cause it to fire.
    I think what they need here is a young priest and an old priest to get to the bottom of that one.
    I'm sure they will convince themselves that this NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE not accidental was a fault in the gun and not anything else.

Ah well it takes the heat off the evil Glock Safe action pistols.With all of their seven safties.:rolleyes:

The original story,and from what the Nationals are feeding off.
    Best line "A Garda source said that the injured Garda is "very respected" and "is very experianced in using firearms":)

https://www.limerickpost.ie/2019/07/25/garda-recovering-from-accidental-shooting/?fbclid=IwAR2vUhqYK5GgsvBHC7kubIblu4Y_5UlSXqEJPlg5tAYpIimXzwhfiMdVGJE

Not any more, he ain't.

solarwinds wrote: »

I thinks that Fathers Ted and Dougal would soon solve THIS little conundrum....

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Robotack

Cass wrote: »
    I understand that, but An Gardai, iirc, use the standard model P226 (for those using the Sig) which has the feature.

My Godfather used to be in Serious Crime and this was his service weapon.

Wrong.. Garda Sigs are DAO, with the exception of a little few double / singles in certain units

• Advertisement

Well,I can tell you that the Limerick ASU use single action.Last time I saw one was about four months ago on one of them.So unless they changed them recently and this instructor was unfammilar with it???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement