Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ELYSIAN 34 FOOT 4.108 DEISEL PERKINS DEISEL INBOARD 4.4108

• 14-07-2019 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

hi guy,s .
    Well i just Pulled Trigger an bought an Elysian 34 foot with a sliding roof which i seen outside the the land mark hotel in carrick on shannon for sale from a privatve seller it needs a bit of T.L.C Which i can do myself .just a bit of cosmetic work on the inside as for the engine she she is fib
    ne freshly paited and antifouledb in april of this pf rhis year has in boards 4.108 perkins deisel engine that i know nothing about but i belive they are bullet froof . i have test drived the boat and an very happy with the deal we have come to the man selling the boat has been very kind givinig me 4 weeks free mooring till the 10 of august giving me that time which to arrange for my own mooring arrangments has i he needs the space .
    the question i am asking to you guy,s is thre somehere close where i could keep the bost till i sort out somthing permanat
    Is there somewhere like a private marina where i could keep the boat till i can arrange a permit morring for her in of around carrick on shannon .
    thanks guy,s any help would be gratefull helpfully
    thanks in advant Peter , boat in question photo,s . the boat has no name on her as yet but i wii be calling her Amy . shannon number 1321 . BANK BROKE .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭seaking

no help what so ever . come on guy,s throw me a line here ..... i,m new to this .

• Registered Users Posts: 33 drummerlad

First of all , congrats on the new boat! I wonder if you could ask the hire companies if they would let you use their marina as this is the busy period and most of their boats will out!

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Is that a public mooring it's on in the pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Butlers marina is 1km south of there, Albert marina is at Albert lock and Tara mairina 30 mins north of there in knockvicar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I was on that boat as couple of weeks ago, guy said he'd bought it for 5k! The whole 'sliding canopy' thing was all permanently screwed closed, meaning all access was via the door in the stern, making it a pain to get to the deck when mooring and using locks. If you're happy with it then good, but it looked to me it needed a lot more than some 'cosmetic' work! It was having starting issues or battery charging issues and the guy was looking for a battery charger when I met him.

There is no 'permit system' for the shannon. The mooring in the pictures is public mooring in Carrick on Shannon. You can leave a boat on public mooring for no more than 5 days. You can get a combined mooring and passage permit for the canals and leave her permanently on the grand or royal, otherwise you will need a marina place. One of the cheaper options close to there is Jessie Doherty's marina in Cootehall, it's currently 1k pa for mooring.

• Advertisement

When I read this I smiled, not at you OP but the audacity of the seller

"the man selling the boat has been very kind givinig me 4 weeks free mooring till the 10 of august giving me that time which to arrange for my own mooring arrangments has i he needs the space"

And as PH has identified

The mooring in the pictures is public mooring in Carrick on Shannon.

Either someone is telling the OP porky pies, or the seller is the inspector of the navigation ;) as he is the only one (AFAIK) that can give permission to extend the 5 day rule on a public mooring.

It's a nice looking boat and with all boats of that vintage it undoubtedly will have some issues, but that's half the fun (or misery) of owning a boat. Best of luck with her hope you get many hours of fun out of her.

PS I second Moonshadows' suggestion of Albert lock Marina.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 simbav

Nice boat. I looking for the same one, but I can't find in the good condition. It's only one for sale at the moment on done deal. I was yesterday for a look. And it's in bad condition, not worth 7k. How much you pay for yours?
    Thanks.

simbav wrote: »
    Nice boat. I looking for the same one, but I can't find in the good condition. It's only one for sale at the moment on done deal. I was yesterday for a look. And it's in bad condition, not worth 7k. How much you pay for yours?
    Thanks.

Not saying that you were expecting it to be fantastic or anything, but if that boat had a solid enough hull, dry, and a reconditioned engine and new gearbox (as the seller says) , then that's not a terrible asking price.

It seems like a lot of money for what is a 50 year old, probably ex hire, grp boat but that seems to be the market price atm. A half decent enough working example of this boat can go for in around the €15k with "refurbished" ones going for even more.

link to a nice example in the UK for £28k stg.:eek::eek::eek:

thanks guy,s for the advice . for what i paid for it i,m quite happy . it needs a bit of work on the inside but that can be done with a bit of hard work the only problem i am having at the moment is getting the roof to slide back . i have got it back a small bit but with a lot of hard work .has anyone any suggesting to how it goes back . is it on a pully system or what . i have googled everything but can not find how it goes back .

any help would be great . she seem to start and run fine now . i have intenions of putting her in a private marina for the time been .
    Regards Seaking .

just a quick question to fergal if you don,t mind have you any idea how the roof slides back on this kind of boat . i have got it back somewhat but not all the way . does it work on a pully system or is it eletric operated . cheers in advance . Elysian 34 foot boat ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

They generally had a pully situated internally at the back of the of the sliding roof , they also had a hinged small window at the rear section that lifted up to allow it to slide back. Definitely not electric.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

seaking wrote: »
    just a quick question to fergal if you don,t mind have you any idea how the roof slides back on this kind of boat . i have got it back somewhat but not all the way . does it work on a pully system or is it eletric operated . cheers in advance . Elysian 34 foot boat ,

The roller wheels were sized on mine so I had to take the roof off and fix them but mine is not the same boat as yours so I can't say really, just keep digging you will find the problem :)

Check out this it might be of some help. http://the-norfolk-broads.co.uk/printthread.cfm?Forum=38&Topic=23597

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Another recommendation for Albert Lock marina. For what its worth the Elysian hulls were massively built - Expect 1/2" to 1" thick laminates so you have a strong base to work on.

4108's are okay, not exactly industructable. They are prone to warping the cylinder head very quickly if they overheat.
    - Keep an eye on the raw water cooling - always check for water from the exhaust on startup.
    - Also replace the raw water impeller every 2nd year usually.
    - Keep an eye on the coolant level in the header tank.

Apart from that they are reliable.

thanks for the advice lads . well i did manage to get the roof back all the way with the help of a very nice man . i went and collected the boat on the 17th . got a far as jamestown stayed for the night the next day the boat would not start have to ring mt. boats a guy came out in 2 hours . had to replace the 2 batters and put a splitter in . and he said the eletrices need looking at . so i did as him about the engine he said the engine is sound . it sounds good . it just that the was 1 battery that was good and the other was no good and it was training the good battery . so i got it down to Dromod where it is at the moment . plenty of room in her and she handles well . just need to get the elertics sorted out . any one fancy having a look at the electrics before i bring her back to MT BOATS for them to do the job . the guy that sold me the boat say he will pay half for the work that was done on her . have yet to talk to him about the electrics . i am not going to drive a fire hazard .

there,s no name on this boat can anyone approve a srick on sign lettering company ... many thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

there,s no name on this boat can anyone approve a srick on sign lettering company ... many thanks .

I wont approve them but DS Signs are based in Carrick on Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

Sharon in Kilmore Signs, Carrick On Shannon should be able to sort you out.
    We had an Elysian 34 years ago. There were two main types on the Shannon, the ex- Carrick Craft versions and the Flagline/Athlone Cruisers versions. They had slightly different layouts. The Flagline boat had a vee berth in the bow, a pull out double in the middle and two single bunks in the aft cabin. There was a galley to port between the main saloon and the aft cabin with a toilet and shower to starboard. The Carrick Craft one had the galley on the starboard side with a hatch through to the main saloon. Not sure about the rest of the CC layout.
    Our one was a Flagline boat. The roof was hard to push up and down as there was no winch. The main problem was that the wheels were running on fibreglass grooves not metal. There was also a counter-balance and cable on ours. My dad fitted a winch to pull the roof up.
    They were great boats. We did lots of modifications to ours, including replacing the engine, fitting an upper helm station and a hatch on the starboard side. There was a few others modified that worked well.

@ simvad 7.500 . plus 500 for new battery,s and a plitter . so all in all she stands me 8000 .

photo.s

• Registered Users Posts: 11 simbav

Beautiful boat for that price. If you want to sell let me know ;) I can't find anything good under 10k :/ Maybe the end of the season I find a good deal...

• Advertisement

Well lads talk about bad luck .
    I made it all the way from carrick on shannon down to the grand canal . no problems what so ever . stayed over night in banagher then into the canal system was talking to the the lock keepers i wont mention any names . and they advised me that it was not safe to travel down the canal system as the water was too low . to head back to shannon brigde stay there over night then make my way back to athlone leave the boat there for a while get the train home and they will advise when it is safe to travel down the canal system .. So i took there advice and done what i was told so went back to shannon brigde stayed over night . then left early the next morning to head to athlone . stopped off in clonmacanosie to top up on diesel everything great reversed out of clonmacanosie and headed for athlone everything great no problems . the boat purring like a pussy happy as larry . coming up to athlone lock knocked the gear lever into reverse . what no REVERSE Hit the lock wall kept travelling into the lock and hit the lock gate the nut and bolt on the gear lever had snapped . the lock keeper said leave the boat where it is and we get the inspector out to examine the damage . so he comes out checked the whole boat she not taken on water its just cosmetic damage . right so let,s close the lock gate behind me and fill the lock . so up the boat comes we open the lock gate and pull her to the the lock wall . so this is the damage . plus the stern gear is weeping slightly but there is an automatic bilge pump on board . maybe you guy,s could give me some advise on the repair work . photo,s below . Any suggestions welcome :rolleyes: Talk about bad luck .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Ouch, might be worth pulling into Lakeside and have it checked out I wouldn't depend on the bilge pump to look after a leaking seal.

Also the nut and bolt have been replaced on the gear lever so she can be drove . Fergal maybe you would like a repair job . im will to pay you for you time . that,s if you are willing and have the time .

I rang every marina around athlone they are all too busy to look at the stern drive , i think it just need to be tightened up . as for the fiberglass repair i have not got a clue about how to take that on . the rubber came off as you can see in the photo so i was thinking of taken the rubber off the other side too sand both sides down and just repaint both sides . it the fiberglass repair i have never done that before . any suggestions anybody .

Also the nut and bolt have been replaced on the gear lever so she can be drove . Fergal maybe you would like a repair job . im will to pay you for you time . that,s if you are willing and have the time .

I don't have enough time to work on my own boat let alone anyone else's :)

not a problem fergal just thought i,d ask . i understand . where would i get a fiberglass repair kit and how would i go about repairing the damage .

not a problem fergal just thought i,d ask . i understand . where would i get a fiberglass repair kit and how would i go about repairing the damage .

If you are still around Athlone at the weekend and I get down I will give you a shout to have a look and come up with a plan to patch it up. You can get fibreglass filler in Halfords as for resin and cloth Lakeside marina should stock it.

Thanks fergal . if i could tell me when you are around athlone i will meet you at the boat . i,m having a guy look at the stern drive as we speak . but regarding the fiberglass i have not got a clue and any advice would be very welcome the boat is driveable so i could bring her around to lakeside for the cloth . just let me know when you are going to be around and i can be there . cheers Fergal .

i have rang lakeside marina and yes mick has the cloth and i can take a berth to do the repair work .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭deaglan1

So, is this the same boat that is now on offer for 11.5K at Dromod Marina?

http://motorcruisersales.apolloduck.net/detail.phtml?id=617146

Advertisement