Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wrestling News & Rumours Thread ***NO CHAT***

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Just curious, would the saudis even know who the hell Taker and Sting are?

They may be awash with money, but they are not stupid either. Getting another match out of HBK is one thing, but I can imagine the crown prince wondering why the **** would I shell out big money to see these 2 OAPs square off in their twilight years.

Not sure if it's true, but the story goes they were offering WWE big money to bring Yokozuna over for the first trip. They're still stuck in a cultural time-warp over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Just having Sting and Taker in the ring together would be enough

Taker would be out saying something 'like he beat every big player in the game' etc and Sting appears and they do a stare down etc but then someone like sami zayn comes out and taunts and they both hit there finishers on him and both men embrace ending a once in a lifetime moment

embrace? Complete with Rainmaker zoom out camera effect? Ah jesus

A nod from taker and a tip of the hat to Sting is all that's required

• Registered Users Posts: 37,756 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    embrace? Complete with Rainmaker zoom out camera effect? Ah jesus

A nod from taker and a tip of the hat to Sting is all that's required

do a table of 3 or whatever that programme is called

Sting, Taker and Kane :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

sky88 wrote: »
    also if hes coming which is a big if im sure he wants it to be a surprise

Surprise? WWE barely know the meaning of that anymore. Imagine the surprise everyone would've got when Daniel Bryan returned, but was announced ahead of time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

akin to Hogan / Flair, will probably end up with a Team Undertaker vs Team Sting match in Saudi.

As sad as that is, the other team mates could have a decent match while Taker & Sting could still pull off the promos to build to it and the one big spot in the match as they actually face off.

Edge more so than those two I would not want to see involved for the Saudi money. If he is making a return I would hope it is to write the conclusion to his own story in a way injury deprived him of before. A Royal Rumble "Shock" return leading to a big Mania match could be a fitting end.

Not necessarily pitching it but I could imagine WWE doing something like:

Edge returns at the Rumble, huge pop/moment etc, looks great and eliminates a few people until a sneaky heel Baron Corbin eliminates him. Corbin goes into goat mode in the following weeks and when Edge does show up again tells him that he should have stayed retired cos if he steps in the ring with the leasers of the new generation like him he will just be embarrassed and tarnish his legacy further. He would also reference how he retired Edge's friend Kurt Angle at last years Wrestlemania.

Edge would however explain why he returned at the Rumble. Referencing how his injury denied him the opportunity to end his career on his own terms and that that is what he wanted now... and that listening to Corbin go on had given him to perfect idea for how he could do so, at which point he would challenge Corbin to a retirement match at Wrestlemania. Then unlike Last year (With Angle) Edge would win, get revenge for Kurt and get to ride off into the sunset after one last battle on the grandest stage and another "Wrestlemania moment" for WWE to promote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

I have not seen or heard anything that would indicate Sting is going to wrestle again. He is about the only name that hasn't been mentioned.

Edge had surgery which probably enabled him to recover to a degree. When Sting was diagnosed with spinal stenosis, he decided not to have the surgery. It seems highly unlikely that at his age he has healed sufficiently in 3 years to pass a medical.

Edge last wrestled almost 9 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

I think after Daniel Bryan comeback, people think any comeback is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

• Registered Users Posts: 37,756 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So Hiroshi Tanahashi, should he beat Chris Jericho at Wrestle Kingdom 14, hopes to open "The Forbidden Door" with AEW, and challenge for the AEW World Championship.

https://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/1160439-hiroshi-tanahashi-forbidden-door-aew-chris-jericho-njpw-wrestle-kingdom-14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    So Hiroshi Tanahashi, should he beat Chris Jericho at Wrestle Kingdom 14, hopes to open "The Forbidden Door" with AEW, and challenge for the AEW World Championship.

https://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/1160439-hiroshi-tanahashi-forbidden-door-aew-chris-jericho-njpw-wrestle-kingdom-14

Honestly I'd rather the door remain closed! Aside from Okada/Omega, I'm not sure there's a lot else I want to see and I think NJPW guy's working AEW would devalue their own expansion attempts in the US. Mox and Jericho seem to be able to work their own shots anyway, The Bucks aren't a draw for NJPW in Japan, Omega is literally the only selling point for a deal to be made.

And honestly I think The Elite guys were clogging up far too many of the big spots in NJPW when they were there. Guys like Ospreay and Jay White have room to breath and space to move up the card in their absence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

You don't want to see Osprey vs Rey Fenix? Ospreay vs Omega? Ibushi vs Omega? Really?

I want that door wide ****ing open, I'll hold it open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

You don't want to see Osprey vs Rey Fenix? Ospreay vs Omega? Ibushi vs Omega? Really?

I want that door wide ****ing open, I'll hold it open.

The short term gains are marginal at best. Impact on NJPW's business in America, the sheer hassle of having to deal with The Elite and all the baggage that brings, and slowing down the progress of sure fire foreign headliners are all reasons I'd absolutely opt against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I see Naitch isn't happy about Charlotte's current role.

He's a crazy ****er. In the same interview he both puts her over as a guaranteed hall of famer and dismisses her by saying she won't ever be a household name like he is. :pac:

Charlotte's role is about right for someone whose gimmick has ran its course. Combine that with her recent attitude and I don't blame the E for prioritising other women.

She's still treated like loyalty however by jobbing women like Chelsea Green to her on her debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

I'd say that pretty much guarantees a Jericho victory, but would love to see the Ace open that door!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'd say that pretty much guarantees a Jericho victory, but would love to see the Ace open that door!

Maybe an AEW/NJPW partnership is the news Cody was referring to on Twitter that he could share on Christmas morning....

Suspect either that, or Dark on TNT, or a renewal/prolonging of the TNT contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Maybe an AEW/NJPW partnership is the news Cody was referring to on Twitter that he could share on Christmas morning....

Think it could well be the recently talked about UK dates.
    He’s been based in London for the past few days

(I know it’s probably just him and Brandi away for the holidays, but it’s as good a tie in as any at this point)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Hoping for a video game myself.

The short term gains are marginal at best. Impact on NJPW's business in America, the sheer hassle of having to deal with The Elite and all the baggage that brings, and slowing down the progress of sure fire foreign headliners are all reasons I'd absolutely opt against it.

That would be silly of New Japan. They are trying to open a NJPW USA and they are about to be dropped by AXS tv because, and get this, they have impact.

Running twice as many shows in the US with no TV exposure would be just stupid. A deal with AEW would get their stars on TV, and a lot more viewers than before too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭NITRO95

That would be silly of New Japan. They are trying to open a NJPW USA and they are about to be dropped by AXS tv because, and get this, they have impact.

Running twice as many shows in the US with no TV exposure would be just stupid. A deal with AEW would get their stars on TV, and a lot more viewers than before too.

Not sure where you are getting the info about them being dropped by AXS considering they have a contract until 2021. NJUSA shows draw just fine in the markets they run and they will no doubt run G1 in Dallas again this year.

On top of all that there is still heat/resentment on both sides from the split. An agreement to work together is probably a long way away from happening

AXS haven't been promoting them, not showing Tokyo Dome this year and haven't shown anything new since November.

NITRO95 wrote: »
    Not sure where you are getting the info about them being dropped by AXS considering they have a contract until 2021. NJUSA shows draw just fine in the markets they run and they will no doubt run G1 in Dallas again this year.

On top of all that there is still heat/resentment on both sides from the split. An agreement to work together is probably a long way away from happening

hb9tveq27r831.jpg

They need to run smaller buildings in the US. They put 4,800 people in a 20,000 seat building for the G1 and that was with substantial papering.

Their US business model is so strange. Even WWE loses money on live shows these days. The money in US wrestling is in TV deals, not live gate. The more NJPW runs the US, the less they will draw as has already been proven, and with Raw, Smackdown, NXT & AEW running a every week, they are 5th place at best. Is there really money in being a touring 5th best wrestling company in the United States?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Andrade new is champ I like when they do house show changes especially With it being MSG

https://twitter.com/seanrosssapp/status/1210373051470286848?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Good. Nakamura is shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Pentecost

J. Marston wrote: »
    Good. Nakamura is shíte.

US champ not Intercontinental.

Pentecost wrote: »
    US champ not Intercontinental.

It was in the fúcking tweet. What is wrong with me?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Meanwhile at the Cincinnati house show

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1210362791095422976

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭ThePott

NITRO95 wrote: »
    Not sure where you are getting the info about them being dropped by AXS considering they have a contract until 2021.
    https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1210455526129070080?s=20

• Advertisement

Anyone interested in a "Loser eats dog food!" match?

https://twitter.com/WrestlinggNewss/status/1210425310296117248

Advertisement