Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Offseason 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Derrick Rose to the Pistons for 2 years/$15 million.

Really expected him to get a little more after his decent showing last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,909 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Derrick Rose to the Pistons for 2 years/$15 million.

Really expected him to get a little more after his decent showing last year.

i'd have thought he would be worth more, I suppose the history of injuries are a factor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,947 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    What's the idea of the Russell trade a year from now though.
    Steph, Klay & Russell all to start together?

I wonder given Russell is off the board now, does that mean that the Lakers fancy their chances at Kawhi.

Horford, Harris & Josh Richardson is a better combo than Harris & Butler. Pity about JJ but that's a decent return.

I think the Warriors needed to make that move in order to make the playoffs next year and I think Russel is on an upward trajectory so if they should get good value if they decide to trade him down the road.
    It really sucks to see Iggy go but the Warriors needed to re tool, they looked a bit old and tired in the playoffs, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Livingston go also

The KD thing is a peculiar one, I get why a team wouldn’t want to take the risk on him but you can also see the massive upside of having him on your team. It’s just that the Nets really haven’t got better, even Kyrie is a bit of a risk in my opinion, he was a disaster last year, obviously this will be a different scenario but the I could see all this blow up in their face. Jordan is also being thrown in their as if it’s a big 3 but I think he is well past his sell by date.
    I don’t think the Knicks passed on KD, more like he passed on that **** show.

Philly should be a legit contender next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Aren't we all just waiting to see if Kawhi heads to the Lakers or not?

If he doesn't, then we have at least half a dozen genuine contenders next season.

If he does then we have another superteam and the Lakers will just be akin to Mercedes in F1.

Kawhi staying at Toronto would mean a lot for the league.

"Kawhi has been dealt to the Lakers!"

(6 hours later)

"The Kawhi trade has been vetoed for basketball reasons".

;)

• Advertisement

Also, iggy released a new book last week and had a few bad things to say about the Warriors apparently, how they misdiagnosed one of his injuries or something along those lines. Wouldn’t be surprised he got chopped after that knowing how cut throat the NBA can be.
    I think KD is choosing a lower quality team for various reasons we may never know, playing with friends, new York market, new challenge, fued with Draymond, who knows, doesn’t make basketball sense to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

If I had to guess Iggy knew he was gone before he said that stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

Blazers going all in anyway. They picked up Whiteside only earns 27m, touted as a defensive monster but team better defensively when he sits

Kanter to the Celtics. 10m, 2 years. Great deal.

Poor Butters gonna have an aneurysm when he sees the 14m per year that the Rockets are giving Rivers for the next 2 years.

Mavs pick up Seth too. Lakers need Kawhi, this FA class is getting thin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,087 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Blazers going all in anyway. They picked up Whiteside only earns 27m, touted as a defensive monster but team better defensively when he sits

His individual defensive metrics *are* massive. Highest defensive rating per 100 possessions in the league last year, and a DPBM of 3.0.

Definitely overpaid and definitely hasn’t lived up to his potential.

Warriors retiring Durant’s jersey, I get it but jeez seems a bit ott. I would have equal if not more admiration for what Iggy did here, doesn’t really matter I know but a little weird

Warriors retiring Durant’s jersey, I get it but jeez seems a bit ott. I would have equal if not more admiration for what Iggy did here, doesn’t really matter I know but a little weird

GTFO retiring his jersey, come on, I'm all for progress in all facets of the game but that's ridiculous stuff.
    3 seasons with a franchise and his jersey is retired.

It's all smoke and mirrors stuff but I mean even as a player would you not be a little embarrassed taking that.

Meh Kawhi is almost certainly getting a jersey retirement from Toronto even if he leaves for the Lakers now. Granted Kawhi was a complete game changer and it was such an iconic season for the franchise but I still think Durant deserves it tbh. 3 years, 3 finals, 2 titles and 2 Finals MVPs. Pretty sick tbh.

Angliru wrote: »
    Meh Kawhi is almost certainly getting a jersey retirement from Toronto even if he leaves for the Lakers now. Granted Kawhi was a complete game changer and it was such an iconic season for the franchise but I still think Durant deserves it tbh. 3 years, 3 finals, 2 titles and 2 Finals MVPs. Pretty sick tbh.

That's fine but Nick Collison got his retired by OKC. Jersey retirement imo is more about servitude than substance in many ways.
    Udonis Haslem may get his retired by the Heat for example.
    I just think jersey retirement is more about longevity, ethos, community those more intangibles than skills. Obviously that's great too but 3 years just doesn't seem requisite, I suspect it's the shortest period of time bar maybe some time of ceremonial thing for any player to have his jersey retired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Jersey retirements in American sports are a load of nonsense and so common that the supposedly great gesture isn't all that great a gesture so people shouldn't read anything into anymore it's a complete load of nonsense at this stage.

Inter Milan retired Javier Zanetti and Giacinto Fachetti's jerseys, AC Milan retired Paolo Maldini and Franco Baresi's jerseys. Realistically retiring a jersey should be a massive honour and if your going to do it in any sport you should have the status at a team like the 4 players I've just mentioned.

The currency of retiring jerseys in American sports has been completely devalued over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Curry is the only one of this Warriors dynasty who should be a cert for that, if it’s going to mean anything. I’d put Klay and Draymond ahead of Durant FFS, they’d all won a ring for them before he even got there!

I dunno...I might feel differently if I was a fan because the Warriors’ dominance could wash over you at times during their run, but it seems to me Durant only kinda muddied things. They had their Toronto-style Finals win and beat the regular season win record without him. He helped make them unstoppable in the playoffs, sure, but they also lacked a real true match and his move alone contributed towards that by creating an imbalance within the league. And his presence also left them top heavy where they’d once been well-rounded and even able to cope with Curry’s injuries, which when he went down hurt led to their ultimate downfall. It’s a super weird thing for them to do the more you think about it tbh.

*FALSE ALARM*

It was all over the news here in the bay, I’ve just read the quote from Lacob
    “As long as iam co-chairman of this team, no player will wear the no 35 for the Warriors again”
    Not exactly saying they will be hanging it from the rafters, journalism at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

On the Whiteside trade for Portland: he's a case of an overpaid player, not a bad player. What he's getting paid doesn't matter for Portland anyway because they traded matching salaries in Harkless and Leonard back to Miami, and all 3 are on expiring contracts regardless. Harkless is a bit of a loss but they've retained Hood and brought in Bazemore so the SF spot should be safe, Whiteside as a massive upgrade over Meyers Leonard and allows them to not rush Nurkic back from his broken leg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Poor Butters gonna have an aneurysm when he sees the 14m per year that the Rockets are giving Rivers for the next 2 years.

Mavs pick up Seth too. Lakers need Kawhi, this FA class is getting thin.

Not at all, it’s their money and they can do what they want with it - a waste IMO but I don’t like Houston so fire away! Only way I’d react to that is if Boston paid for him.....and while an overpay at least it’s not the crazy money he’s been on for the last few years.

What were Dallas doing re the Butler trade? Must be something going on somewhere - from not taking Dragic for free (when he’s buds with Luca), to what appears to be just acting the maggot with a view to scuppering the trade? Something’s up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Thought it was that Miami were never offering Dragic to Dallas in the first place?

kmart6 wrote: »
    Thought it was that Miami were never offering Dragic to Dallas in the first place?

First report was they offered Dragic, then that changed to Olynk and Jones Jr, now nothing. I like Dragic btw, a lot. Could do a very decent job for someone.....

Klay Thompson posted a clip from Wolf of Wall Street, “Iam not leaving” Warrior for life, it would be phenomenal if he retired here

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'm so confused by Jimmy Butler btw, forces his way out of Minnesota to join a contender, gets offered the max by that contender and decides to leave for a team in an even worse position than Minnesota.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,087 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm so confused by Jimmy Butler btw, forces his way out of Minnesota to join a contender, gets offered the max by that contender and decides to leave for a team in an even worse position than Minnesota.

Gets to be the man and live in South Beach
    Jimmy says he’s about dat ring, his actions say different

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Gets to be the man and live in South Beach
    Jimmy says he’s about dat ring, his actions say different

Yep, South beach is party central, not to jump to any conclusions but if he likes to party and hang out with beautiful women then he is home

Klay Thompson posted a clip from Wolf of Wall Street, “Iam not leaving” Warrior for life, it would be phenomenal if he retired here

It would be cool for him and Steph to stay but if Klay comes back to 100% which it seems reasonably possible with an ACL, I feel like there's a little bit of disappointment if he never moves to see how good he would be as a teams No1

• Advertisement

Yep, South beach is party central, not to jump to any conclusions but if he likes to party and hang out with beautiful women then he is home

Joe House came out with a laugh out loud comment on the Simmons Pod re. Jimmy’s reasons for wanting to be in South Beach. It involves alliteration with the letter P and relates to the above in bold.:pac:

Also on Pods, Woj sounded absolutely shattered on his. At times he was struggling to find his train of thought and just rambling. Prob. put in some crazy hour’s last week. Ryen Rusillo was his guest, but he was in serious mode - not the jokey guy you get on his own or when he’s with Simmons. I like his analysis either way, but prefer the funnier version.

Advertisement