Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Making Use Of Myself

Options
  • 28-06-2019 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

:cool:

P6280408tn.jpg
    Indoor starling boxes. Cut the holes and fitted the doors, today. Now, I'll put slat lids on them. Hanging straps on the back. Hooks and eyes on the front. Ready to go :)

Make half a dozen outside ones next. Sloping, water proofed tops.

That's my start; Till I can get another look at his farm and work out how to saturate it. He wants starlings. And I'm only too delighted to provide them!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

How do you mean, "indoors"? You're not trapping them, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

What Is this obsession that I'm running about, first Poisoning, now, catching and keeping birds captive???

Oh, and then, so proud of my behaviour, I come onto a public forum and announce myself?

I swear; If I said " I mounted my mare, last night and had a great ride. " This place would make me a pervert! Not a horse owner.

There's a big shop, in town? Every time I go in there, carrying my big shoulder sack, the boss sends one of his men to hover right at my shoulder. Asking, " Can I help you? " I know this, because, when the boss isn't around, the lads just ignore me.

If I saw the boss, across the road, with his teeth on fire? Guess what I wouldn't do?

Please, people, have some cop on? And before ye say, " I only asked! " and give me a yellow card? Just look at who 'Likes' what, when sly innuendo is directed at me. It's getting Old, frankly.

These boxes are to be hung under cover. In an open hay barn type structure. Up on the roof 'joist' beam. So, they'll be completely covered from the elements and won't need sloping or waterproof roofs.

Just spent my saturday afternoon, getting their roofs and latches on. Make something of that.

P6290409tn.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's just the terminology used can be confusing. I initially did a double take at 'indoors' myself until I reasoned it must be an open barn or shed. Nobody is doing anything but asking honest questions for clarity when something is a bit ambiguous. Like bait for what now seems to be feed. We're all learning and trying to fully appreciate the interests and observations of others,

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I was only asking, actually, precisely because to me what was said wasn't clear. And giving you a yellow card for answering a question would be a bit OTT, don't you think? But thanks for clarifying.

He's Been At It, Again!!! :D

Ladies and gentlemen; I am So Completely poggered, I feel like Mike Tyson has been using my kidneys for a punch bag! Five Hours, hunched over a nine inch circular saw, operating exactly at groin level? That focuses the mind! :p

But, I did it. Another 8' by 4' sheet of 1/2", or what ever, exterior ply now looks like This:

P6300410tn.jpg
    That's the makings of Seven outside starling boxes! (And, as it happens, a crafty Robin box from a few off cuts! Just picked up the bits on top of the pile there and they screamed " Robin Box! ", right in my face. I'm So chuffed with that too!)

* Glowing With A Manly Glow! *

Right: Tomorrow, I cut the seven fronts in half ~ at a / angle. Then, I think I'll get the nightmare of hole cutting the holes through them out of the way.

Next? I drill, glue and screw all that wood together! I have enough, pre cut, slats for the roofs. I'll scrounge up some 'Vote For Me' posters, to tack on top, for water proofing. Later, I'll fit the hooks and eyes.

Finally; I'll have to get out to my friends farm. To survey it and work out exactly how many boxes he can take. And what colours to make them, so they don't jar the eye.

I'm absolutely Buzzing! :D This sh!t Defines me, now! It's what I Do!

I've got a Master Plan for the road into town too. So many farms .... :cool:

• Advertisement

So ..... When ye Only drill bit snaps, right in the middle of fixing the doors on the Thirteen new starling nest boxes ye making?

P7030413tn.jpg

As, I'm sure, Forrest Gumps mother would have said; 'Then, get ye power saw out and cut Eight more of those mo' fo's out of the three, nine inch planks ye just bought!' :D

P7030412tn.jpg
    Yeppers. Just for the record, good people; Three, 9" x 1" rough cut planks will give ye Eight boxes. Cost? About thirty yo. Probably what ye'd pay for ONE box, from some on line 'We're in it for nature' type scammers outfit.

That's minus the roofs. But, I cobble my tops together from off cuts, or maybe buy a 4" plank. Slap various bits on. Then, I water proof the whole thing by tacking on cut up pieces of those infinitely useful election posters, depicting utterly useless individuals :)

Stigura wrote: »
    Then, I water proof the whole thing by tacking on cut up pieces of those infinitely useful election posters, depicting utterly useless individuals :)

But... won't that scare the poor birds? :pac::pac::pac:

I always put them face down.

I shouldn't say it, but; There's a certain grim satisfaction to leaving some would be politico's face down, after taking a Stanley knife to them! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Excellent work!! What size hole do you put in them, and what you using to make the holes?

P7090413tn.jpg

There ye go, mate. 48mm / 1 7/8" hole saw.

Now, admittedly, this can prove the most daunting aspect, for a have a goer. That saw, and the mandrill, isn't cheap. Certainly not if ye only intend to make a few boxes.

But, it doesn't matter. If ye only want to make a few? Just use a coping saw to make the holes. Even do them at the top.

As ever; I'm more than happy to field any questions :)

• Advertisement

Women Need Not Apply
    This Is A Real Mans Kitchen!

P7100414tn.jpg

:D
    Ask yeself; 'What have I done, for nature, today?'

Crack on and get the tops sorted, tomorrow. For now? I'm having a well earned beer! ;)

Probably the worst part, for me?

P7150414tn.jpg

Honestly; I have a 9" Angle Grinder here. If I only knew how to weld, and was more mechanically minded? Some sort of Chop Saw jig would be fantastic!

Frankly? I'd just buy a roll of strapping and stand there and chop the whole lot into uniform lengths. Like these forty two. But, without the wrist ache!

Of course, for anyone wanting only even half a dozen boxes? This would all be part of the immense satisfaction :)

Anyway, next bit is vile too ~ for me. Carting all these finished boxes down to my stables. For storage. My mate can just back the jeep up to the stable and we'll pile them in.

Right now though, I need room in my kitchen. Because I have the urge to buy more planks! :D

Good to see the back of this lot then:

P7150413tn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Get a stand for your Angle Grinder, cheap Chop Saw substitute..

:eek: Good god! I genuinely never knew they existed! Thanks! :D

:D

Untitledtn.jpg

Last post on here ~ unless anyone wants to ask anything. Else, it'll get repetitive :D

Saw this, yesterday:

P7230417tn.jpg

I mean; What's a man to do? Got out of the rotting pit, today, and had at it!

P7240418tn.jpg

Funny thing is: I had my usual, three planks. But, I managed to get Nine boxes out of them :confused: Don't know what I did last time then.

Here's the other eight, thus far. Just for a bit of eye candy ;)

P7240419tn.jpg

Please note: I don't use new planks for the tops. I slice out the slats of pallets for that bit. Perfect for the job. Screw them on, cross ways. Then tack on old 'vote for me' posters, to waterproof them.

P7160413tn.jpg

Might buy a fresh roll of galvy strapping now, too. Chop it into short lengths, to screw onto the backs of my boxes, so I can hang them from nails, in wood. Or, by cable ties, in case of steel joists. Hour should see a roll sliced up. Because ..... Well:

Who's The Daddy? :cool:

P7240413tn.jpg

Thinking of making myself a coffin, next.

Start with a tea chest, maybe. :D

Incidentally, those posters usually work very well as whiteboards as well. :) (Not that that's nature-related, though.)

Would you make some hedgehog boxes and some bat boxes, too? The shapes are different to what you've been making, but they'd be appreciated, I'm sure.

New Home wrote: »
    Would you make some hedgehog boxes and some bat boxes, too?

In honesty? My hedgehogs have their own, established, little home. They've got a hole, next to the compost box. Other side of my Dog proof fence.

Unfortunately, being as the ditch is 'In Use', it's also a no go zone for me too. So, I'm unable to further examine, photograph, or set the trail cam on their hole. But, I do sling any edible scraps of goodies out there. " For The Wild Things ".

Bat Boxes? I've always read such mixed reports about those things ..... And, living in an old cottage, with 'proper' stables, the bats have their own, long used and traditional roosting places.

Even when I replaced a fascia here, I was careful not to be too fussy. Ensuring there was room for a bat to get behind it. So rewarding to have since witnessed one creeping up in there!

I do have a further 'Box' project up my sleeve though. (Other than my own one!) But, I plan to cover that one entirely separately.

Finally; I have - somewhere on my system - details of a newer TreeCreeper nest box. One I really must get round to; As I have treecreepers here. And, this box would allow me safe access to them.

For anyone interested? I'm sure a google around terms such as " BTO Treecreeper Nest Box " will bring it up.

It's, basically, two bits of wood. Separated by a frame of roof batten. As opposed to the old, 'Wedge' design. Sounds a belter. I've just been too focused on my starlings to ever have yet gotten round to it.

One, last, thing I Must get off my chest, about my starling boxes? I now use screws. Just had to get that in. For clarity.

Anyone thinking of buying a plank and knocking a few up? By all means, go for it and whack some nails in there. Only, I'm ~ provenly ~ cack handed, with a hammer. I seem to have to measure where to beat the nail. Then miss hit the bloody thing ..... :mad:

So, yeah; Making boxes on a near industrial scale, as I do? I actually find drilling and screwing far easier. I also love the 'connected' feeling of driving them in with my Stanley 'Yankee'! (Lesson to the youngers; Its battery never wears out! ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Thinking of making myself a coffin, next.

Not very nature related but I always though that a nice DIY coffin would be an excellent home project.

It could be used as a base for a dining table until it is time for it's final destination.

Or a glass top coffee table, or a wardrobe, or built into kitchen cabinets.

On castors? A go cart...

Not very nature related but I always though that a nice DIY coffin would be an excellent home project.

It could be used as a base for a dining table until it is time for it's final destination.

Or a glass top coffee table, or a wardrobe, or built into kitchen cabinets.

On castors? A go cart...

:pac: Think thats the first time ive ever read that on a forum lol.

• Advertisement

Speaking of hedgehog box's. Would they not be vulnerable to predation when using these box's?

Eddie B wrote: »
    Speaking of hedgehog box's. Would they not be vulnerable to predation when using these box's?

No more so than a nest they'd build themselves. It should have a tunnel entrance and be placed under a covering of leaves.

On coffins. There are strict regulations regarding the materials that can be used and construction methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

On coffins. There are strict regulations regarding the materials that can be used and construction methods.

Nice bit of light ply would be more than enough for me. Hessian sack would do at a push.

Nice bit of light ply would be more than enough for me. Hessian sack would do at a push.

It would do you and I but not the undertaker or crematorium.

But, we digress quite a bit from Nature.

Since this thread's been resurrected; I'll just take this opportunity to say that I'm taking a well enough earned breather, from the Starling boxes.

But, I have a completely new project up my sleeve. Something I hope to do, later, this week. I'm looking forward to it. Expect news :)

Meanwhile; Here's a shot of what I have in my stable!

P7290415tn.jpg

Google " Starling Nest Box ". Try to find one for much under €30.00 a pop! Yet, I can make Nine of these, for €30.00.

Coffins? We're discussing all that on the DIY board! ;)

So, I mean; What's a man, alone, to do? Out with my big, pump action and I've been screwing so hard, all afternoon and evening, I'm now soaked in sweat and completely done in! Finished though!

What ye reckon? Man's got to make use of himself. Right?

Piney-Box.jpg

That is definitely the biggest bloody next box I've Ever made. Or would like to. Because, I'll have to get that bad boy onto a narrow little flat roof I happen to have. (In honesty; I'll probably hook a rope through it and Drag it up there)

It's made entirely of 19mm exterior ply. It's 22" high. 20" wide and 11" deep. Two full sized baffles, inside. It's basically half a sheet of ply. But, that's good though. Because it means, if ye screwed ye loaf, ye could get two out of a sheet.

(God, I ache! So absolutely shattered, I can barely even think straight! The job just ran away with me. I could easily have cut it today and screwed it tomorrow. I just couldn't stop. I got a right moody on! :D)

Not exactly certain what to do with it next. It needs weather proofing. Only, paint's so bloody expensive. And what colour?

But, I Do have a practically full tin of Johnstones Wood Stain, in Natural Oak. I bought that for the cover I made for my Belfast sink. That now looks absolutely bloody gorgeous! God, did I choose the right colour! :) Pity to waste it .....

Then, because it'll be outside facing all that nature can throw at it? I have a pot of Yacht Varnish here. Reckon that should do the trick.

Anyway; This is the Industry Standard Piney Box. I got the plans from the Vincent Wildlife Trust. They've been making and trialing them for years.

Use rough plank, as they suggest, for those two internals and I'm bloody Sure ye'd get two out of an 8x4' sheet of 18mm. Pine Martens don't run around with little tape measures on their belts. They're glad to take what they can get.

PDF of the Vince plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

So, I mean; What's a man, alone, to do? Out with my big, pump action and I've been screwing so hard, all afternoon and evening, I'm now soaked in sweat and completely done in! Finished though!

What ye reckon? Man's got to make use of himself. Right?
    Yankee screwdriver? Some might think you're mad, but I reckon you're a rough diamond :pac:
    The box looks good to me. Should keep them out of your chimney anyway.
    Maybe add some plastic or aluminium sheet on the roof to help keep out the rain?

:D I really Love my Yankee!!! In fact, my top two tools are, absolutely, my big Stanley 'Yankee' and my power saw. I make starling nest boxes on an almost 'cottage industry' scale. I just couldn't cope, without the driver and saw.

Thing about the pumper? I like the Connection with the job. Me and the tool, dependent on each other and pushing to get the work done :p I've had cordless drivers. (Note the past tense!) It's like a factory job. My Yankee never runs out of charge. And he'll still be pushing in screws, long after I'm pushing up daisy's.

Good thinking, about the plastic covered roof too. I have a good stock of 'vote for me' posters in stock. That lid fits tighter than a drum. But, ye can't be Too waterproof.

Still absolutely shattered, here. Too knackered to even eat. Think I'll have an early night, then spend a few days just brushing stuff onto this box. Clean out of planks. Stable's backing up with starling boxes I need to get out to a farm. Saw needs a fresh blade.

Hmm. Do wonder if any of those off cuts would do to make this Tree Creeper box I'm gagging to try though? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I have a good stock of 'vote for me' posters in stock. That lid fits tighter than a drum. But, ye can't be Too waterproof.
    I've used them for various things myself. Great as shuttering for casting a curved edge on a bit of concrete path as well. Politicians cost us a lot of money, we may as well get something back from them eh? :D
    Use screws with big washers though as the plastic is liable to catch the wind. And use a dab of silicone with the screw and you'll have a totally waterproof roof.

• Advertisement

:) Put the first coat of stain on it, today. Took it into my work room and put it on a stand. Easier to work on, and no Dogs getting near it.

I must say; I'm in love with that stain! Might well buy a big tin and use it on my paneling. Strip the under coat off and start over. That in love with this gorgeous, honey tone.

Roof? Yeah. Have ye looked at their cutting plan? It's atrocious!!! Skipping between inches and mm. Strange hieroglyphics that mean nothing to me. I just, basically, went for a bloody great box. Put those partitions and holes in.

Their lids look flat, in the photo, though. I was gonna rely on yacht varnish, and the fact that my lid is the 'shoe box' type. But, no; Now ye mention it? Plastic seems good too.

I'm pondering, now. Letting schit sink in and marinate my mind. We get horrific Tin Testers here. Not really likely. But, nor would it be impossible that the next hurricane could shift, even This weight.

It'll be on a narrow, flat roof, remember. Pitched roof behind it. Gable in front. Not a lot of space to spare. Protected from the sun by the gable. But; Could that west / east roof form a wind tunnel? Dunno. Aerodynamics isn't my thing.

But, yeah; You've inspired me to consider a pitch, on the plastic roof. My weather comes from the west. I'm thinking of putting a batten on the lid, to form a slope of plastic. Cause a run off, like on my starling boxes.

Only, they just run to the front ~ as nest boxes pretty much always do. But, this one's a bit different. I want it to be perfect, for my situation. And, if I could add something to the V design? Wouldn't that be something else?

I'm erring to the west side / end. Sloping toward there? Rain would run off toward the side of the box. Wind would slide up and over it.

:eek: Eureka! I've been constantly milling over this 'Hurricane from the west' nightmare. It's just clicked! :D

I have these rodenticide holding box tethers. Used to tie boxes down. Drill them into a wall and crimp steel trace between them and the box? Talk about a face palm moment! Why didn't I See that?!

Okay. Time I'm finished, with the SDS drill and my old equipment coming out? This baby ain't going No Where! Hurricane all ye like! :D

Love bouncing ideas around. Sussing it and sharing it is what it's all about. That's how we progress and get things better.

Advertisement