Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Italexit. Proposals for new Italian currency gaining traction

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Claiming that being able to devalue a currency can solve economic problems in todays world is just BS.

I did not say that, I said that what changed is that they don't have the ability to do it. Strenght of Euro at the moment doesn't help Italian economy which is not growing at the rate needed or even at all.

I'm not saying Italy should leave euro but the fact is they are muddling through for decades and some day they will get in trouble unless something changes. And lower retirement age and similar nonsense is not it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And Italy has a new government (again); M5S and social democrats (PD) with Giuseppe Conte continuing as PM. Long live the new government and may it get beyond the 1 year mark for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭brickster69

Won't last long. Conte is just an EU servant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Eh8Mc5RAE

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That's how Italian governments roll anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭kksaints

Probably won't although interestingly Trump of all people called Conte a highly respected prime minister,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

kksaints wrote: »
    Probably won't although interestingly Trump of all people called Conte a highly respected prime minister,
    Not sure he knows who he was talking about and could happily have rolled back on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭kksaints

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not sure he knows who he was talking about and could happily have rolled back on it!

Yeah I was wondering did he think Salvini was PM and got mixed up but in any case it was an unusual intervention. Thankully, it seems Salvini's plots seemed to have backfired.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

How does he "serve" the EU?

Given that Italy IS THE EU, I guess that that's what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

In the Italian context, what qualifies as long? The average is like, 13 months. Conte pulled off something they cannot manage in the UK, which is opposition swalliwing their differences and operating to the benefit of the country.

Salvini otoh gambled and lost. There will be elections again in the next year or two and we will see what happens then. But your worldview might improve if you dumped the anti-EU lens that distorts it.

I think that too many people find La Liga unpalatable. I'm not going to call them fascist because that's an expression used too much but unlike Germans Italians and Austrians never properly dealt with their ww2 history. Elements in La Liga and Freedom Party (Austria) have a bit too romantic view of their past.

I think there are a lot of politicians and people in Italy who don't want party that evokes memories of less than glorious past to rule the country. They dislike that more than each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

meeeeh wrote: »
    I think that too many people find La Liga unpalatable. I'm not going to call them fascist because that's an expression used too much but unlike Germans Italians and Austrians never properly dealt with their ww2 history. Elements in La Liga and Freedom Party (Austria) have a bit too romantic view of their past.
    It used to be called Lega Nord. In fact it's still their official name. Their original stance was that the north of Italy should be separate from the south and often referred to the south as 'Africa' and the people who lived there 'subhuman'. Mad that they then stood candidates in the south and got them elected. After whitewashing their name with a very watery whitewash.

I had brain fart naming them. Beginning of football season probably didn't help. :D

There is Slovenian minority in Italy around Trieste and they were often preoccupied with opposing Slovenian schools and theatre. Because apparently a nation of 2 million (including minorities and expats) is threatening to Italy. It's mostly complete nonsense that they would involve themselves in but because Berlusconi needed someone to prop him up they had more influence than their policies would deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

How does he "serve" the EU?

Given that Italy IS THE EU, I guess that that's what you mean?
    Exactly, it's like saying that a governor of Alabama is a US servant. And attributing to it a pejorative meaning.

Italy is a founding and integral member of the EU. Italy is the EU. And EU is Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It used to be called Lega Nord. In fact it's still their official name. Their original stance was that the north of Italy should be separate from the south and often referred to the south as 'Africa' and the people who lived there 'subhuman'. Mad that they then stood candidates in the south and got them elected. After whitewashing their name with a very watery whitewash.

And you have just described how easy it is to get people to vote against their own interests! Rather astonishing that... but happens in the UK and US every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Salvini got egg on his face for his arrogance.
    Under Salvini, all Italian emmigrants should go back to Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,082 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/10/16/italys-salvini-throws-towel-euroscepticism-following-lead-frances/

When journalists who have been making a living stoking euroskepticism report on the dampening of such sentiment you can take it to the bank.

Salvini is happy with the euro, case closed.

Advertisement