Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Server/SCCM 2012/16?

• 08-04-2019 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Back from two years in Toronto as deskside support, and in a deskside support role, seeing that although my experience is getting me jobs, lack of recent certs has stopped me from getting other jobs, and lack of relevant certs will stop me from going the sys admin route.

Have the Comptia A+ from way back, but need something more recent.

Am thinking of going the Server/SCCM route, but 2012 seems a bit old; or is it? The companies I've worked in as deskside support have all gone Windows 10 for their laptops/desktops, but not sure about the backend. Should I look at getting certs in 2016 environment, or the 2012/2012R2 environment? Would what I learn in 2016 be backwards compatible with 2012?

My plan is to pick the year, and then do the AD/SCCM/Server certs for that server, but wondering which I should go for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Pick the newest year, no point doing old certs. The newest ones will only add more features.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Pick the newest year, no point doing old certs. The newest ones will only add more features.
    Yup. Was in two minds about it.
    One mind, as above; do the newest, so I have all of the latest.

On the the other hand, I was thinking that a lot of businesses would lag behind with any production servers, so anything I learn I may not be able to put into use until a few years down the road.

I'll go with your suggestion, though, as it means that I won't have to re-certify to something newer for a few years :D

They will always be behind on server versions but will always have fancy ideas of upgrading at some point in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Hi OP,

What way are you going to learn out of a matter of interest ?
    Self study or classes ?

Best option is always self study.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hi OP,

What way are you going to learn out of a matter of interest ?
    Self study or classes ?
    Planning on self study & on VM's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Thinking the same, have you looked at this udemy course?
    Link

Its 13 quid if you take it in the next 4 hrs but I already have cbt nuggets on the subject.

What cert by the way? Do you have a link or course number?

Advertisement