Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sega Megadrive mini

• 01-04-2019 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭

So, looks like Sega are hitching themselves to the mini console bandwagon: Official Link

Release date is September 19th priced at £69.99 (which is what the NES & SNES minis went for at release, so €-equivalent will be similar).. Some games announced and I seem to recall reading - on tech radar I think? - that they're taking suggestions.

Despite owning an original (and still working Megadrive) I'm tempted to place a pre-order one given that Sega have said that AT-games will not be involved, although they have decliend to say who will other than it being a "trusted domestic supplier", for whatever it's worth. Sega's M2 developers are handling the software side of things.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Dublinandy2

It’s 85 euro in Smyths, amazon won’t ship to Eire. Not confident on parcel motel as this could be after brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭phily2002

Another one to add to the collection! Might just get through ff7 on the ps classic by the time this gets released!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

If I didn't have an MD and everdrive already I'd be hyped. It's not the cheapest but 40 games is a bit more generous than the competition and M2 being involved inspires a lot of confidence.

I hope they sell a million in Japan and we get a Saturn mini as a result cos I don't think the Saturn everdrive equivalent will be cheap/easy for a while yet and the Polymegas similarly pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I'm just going to wait again until they drop to €50.

Cant be rebuying all these consoles for €100

Everybody talking about the Psone getting discounted they're still looking for 100 europes in Harvey Norman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I will definitely be looking at buying this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Only comes with three button controllers.

Sega shooting themselves in the foot.

More nostaligia with the 3 button. Easier for the kind of casual people might be buying these things. If they're not putting Street Fighter on there people can live without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

The Japanese release has six-button controllers; assuming of course that quite a few of the Japanese-specific titles bundled require more than three buttons.

And what Shapey said above; no SF2 means people wont even notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

More nostaligia with the 3 button. Easier for the kind of casual people might be buying these things. If they're not putting Street Fighter on there people can live without it.

Exactly what I was thinking as well. The casual gamers won't care that it is only a three button controller

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They will when they realise the 3 button controller isn't very ergonomic and feels nasty to hold.

The Megadrive 6 button controller on the other hand is the second greatest console controller ever made, second only to the Japanese Saturn controller which was modeled on the Megadrive 6 button controller and it's fantastic d-pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Was using the three button pad last night for ages (I've a couple of really great quality ones that feel like they're new) and then switched over to the 6 button for some Alien Soldier and Ranger X.

As great as the 6 button is, I really do find it a bit on the small side. Same with the Saturn pad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I never got used to the six button pad at all.
    And, as for this mini console, nothing to be lost in waiting to see what other peoples experiences of it are, then decide to jump.

So far, there hasn't been a mini console that hasn't been hackable, looking forward to seeing if this follows the trend.

€68 on Segashop.eu using code GOFAST15. Didn't advance far enough to check the shipping costs.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

6 button saga pad was my favourite for fighting games at the time. Much preferred it to the SNES controller too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It would have to have proper upscaling options and good sound for me to even consider it, at least they are doing it in-house for once. Will wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Censored11

Yeah its a real wait & see with this one.
    I got all the Nintendo minis, love them after a good hacking.
    After the Sony Playstation fiasco, trying to cash in on the mini trend, I hope sega don't try and pull a fast one. Please give us the proper machine to justify a pre order :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

M2 are on emulation duties so it will more than likely be superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Inviere

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    M2 are on emulation duties so it will more than likely be superb.

Knowing this it was an insta-preorder. Can't wait to leave it on a shelf for all of time :o

One downside that someone mentioned on Facebook is with M2's wizardry we can perhaps expect it not being as easy to hack as the other mini consoles.

People love hacking these things so much though I'm sure they'll manage it.

• Advertisement

M2 might do specific emulation shells for specific games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

One downside that someone mentioned on Facebook is with M2's wizardry we can perhaps expect it not being as easy to hack as the other mini consoles.

People love hacking these things so much though I'm sure they'll manage it.

At the price point it’s at though, the security really will be trivial for anyone with de skillz to find an exploit though. The question will be, can additional games be seamlessly integrated into the OS as they are on the Ninty consoles.

The Nintendo minis were coded by the U.K. Team who used an all purpose emulation solution.

M2 on the other hand have so far created emulation specific to each title to make them as accurate as possible. It might be tough to translate that to different games like on the Nintendo minis.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The Nintendo minis were coded by the U.K. Team who used an all purpose emulation solution.

M2 on the other hand have so far created emulation specific to each title to make them as accurate as possible. It might be tough to translate that to different games like on the Nintendo minis.

Indeed, this could be a case of stick with the original m2 lineup, or lose that and switch to a more general solution. Personally I’ve zero interest in hacking it, same with my Nintendo Minis. There’s other (far superior) solutions available, so no real need to mess with these.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The full selection of games are impressive and a newly ported Tetris and Darius to boot. I would have left out Virtua Fighter, sonic spinball, Space Harrier 2(even at release this was bad) and maybe Alex kid and replaced them with Rocket knight, Ranger X, Soliel (crusader of Centy) and Alien Soldier.

But in all honesty who ever came up with the list of games has really good taste, made even better by the fact most of the games are Japanese made which usually during that period of time meant good Music and design.

I was looking at footage of it at E3 everything looks great. They've even gotten a sort of alright looking 16:9 presentation that zooms in the picture rather than stretching the image. Still looks worse than 4:3, but nice feature for the people too clueless to not stick it to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I saw an interesting post over on reddit where someone noticed that some of the cover scans have wear on the side, as if they actually took an old cover and put it in a scanner.

Go here and check out the Vectorman cover

http://genesismini.sega.com/#gamebox-29

Earthworm Jim is the same

http://genesismini.sega.com/#gamebox-17

Wonder could they just no find a decent digital scan and though 'feck this, we'll just lash one in a scanner'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Big companies with all their resources are still ridiculously lazy sometimes.

Wouldn't surprise me if they just did a 10mp+ Google image search and found them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

games list not great. no road rash 2, jungle strike, jamepond II better be hackable

Advertisement