Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YouTube golf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I think I got to the end of Netflix and You Tube golf. But came across this bloke - who is doing a satire about You Tube golf in You Tube.

I actually like satire - and You Tubers are definitely fair game - but something a bit disturbing - or self absorbed in this. It is outrageously Ironic - and great if deliberate - but I think it isn't. I think he is every bit as self absorbed as the topic of satire.

:eek:

I think people are getting very fecked up with covid :D

Sort of stuff he reviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrnttoHD78c

He fairly losing the plot on Twitter lately! Come across as an absolute dick!

How come taylormade don't send Crossfield item to review? Was there a falling out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

redzerdrog wrote: »
    How come taylormade don't send Crossfield item to review? Was there a falling out?

He wouldn't read the promo piece for the first twist face driver. He's been throwing subtle digs at it since

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭plumber77

Anybody watching Dan Hendriksen. Great course vlogs. Good dynamic amongst all the team as well. I'm running out of content now due to serious overdosing on it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭padmcv

plumber77 wrote: »
    Anybody watching Dan Hendriksen. Great course vlogs. Good dynamic amongst all the team as well. I'm running out of content now due to serious overdosing on it :(

Dan's course vlog are the best out there imo. They manage to combine really good golf (It helps to have EuroPro level golfers on the channel!) with good production quality. I agree that the dynamic is top class as well.

I only watch his & Mark Crossfield's vlogs & I've run out now too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I actually like satire - and You Tubers are definitely fair game - but something a bit disturbing - or self absorbed in this. It is outrageously Ironic - and great if deliberate - but I think it isn't. I think he is every bit as self absorbed as the topic of satire.

Yeah would agree with you. I watched a few of his videos, very uncomfortable viewing. It's all well and good taking the p*ss in a light hearted way but he just comes across like he genuinely hates some youtube golfers. I'm guessing his whole angle is creating youtube drama in order to generate views.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

I must check out Dan's videos, I've mainly been sticking with Pete Finch, Rick Shiels and Meandmygolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I must check out Dan's videos, I've mainly been sticking with Pete Finch, Rick Shiels and Meandmygolf.

Unbearable fella

callaway92 wrote: »
    Unbearable fella

Really? What don't you like? I enjoy the podcast although it's mostly waffle.

plumber77 wrote: »

Ah its Dan from Mark Crosfields channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Really? What don't you like? I enjoy the podcast although it's mostly waffle.

Just the typical YouTube clickbait stuff these days GUYS - LIKE AND SUBCRIBE!!!

and clickbait guff etc - 'This is the driver to BEAT in 2021!'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭blue note

I tend to be tolerant of them all really. Golfmates is grand too, golf sidekick is pretty good. That nasty guy is awful though. Not remotely funny, but extremely nasty. His are uncomfortable viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭plumber77

I watch a bit of Rick Shiels/Pete Finch but I just find Dan & Co really easy to watch. The standard of their course vlogs is only getting better. Would still advise going back to the first ones for context

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭srfc d16

Best stuff in my opinion is the No Laying Up videos. Not as frequent as others as the podcasts are their main focus but the Strapped and Tourist Sauce series are very good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

srfc d16 wrote: »
    Best stuff in my opinion is the No Laying Up videos. Not as frequent as others as the podcasts are their main focus but the Strapped and Tourist Sauce series are very good

Agreed, their stuff is really good....we're obviously biased over here but their irish tourist sauce was excellent......one thing i do notice in their podcasts is that they are a bit condescending towards the European tour from the point of view of how many world ranking points are on offer relative to the strength of field....i find it a bit annoying at times....

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭CSWS101

srfc d16 wrote: »

The Strapped series is one of the best on youtube, honestly so well done. Was cool to see their perspective on the courses they played here, especially the interviews with TC, really must check out his book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

CSWS101 wrote: »
    The Strapped series is one of the best on youtube, honestly so well done. Was cool to see their perspective on the courses they played here, especially the interviews with TC, really must check out his book.

I've read a course called ireland on the back of that and have a course called scotland to get through also....would recommend it...slow enough burner to get through but you do start getting into it and its a nice read if you're into golf.....was interesting getting his take on lesser known courses...my only gripe with it is that the text size is very small so for me i find that visually off putting and slower to get through but thats just me.....a good read for anyone into golf....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

CSWS101 wrote: »

Sorry just to be clear is this not called Tourist Sauce .

Strapped is a different concept by the same guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Sorry just to be clear is this not called Tourist Sauce .

Strapped is a different concept by the same guys.

Yeah I know that, was talking about tourist sauce in the second comment. Can see why it wasn't clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I like Rick Shiels and I think he is decent fella, but I just don’t see how he gets so many subs compared to others. He has well over a a Million. I know he does good reviews, but some of his videos are just so god dam awful.

Big fan of the No Laying up Podcast.
    If not checked it out Steve Elkington one from years ago was very good. His stories on Monty were hilarious.

• Advertisement

I like Rick Shiels and I think he is decent fella, but I just don’t see how he gets so many subs compared to others. He has well over a a Million. I know he does good reviews, but some of his videos are just so god dam awful.

If not checked it out Steve Elkington one from years ago was very good. His stories on Monty were hilarious.

Shiels is the best at doing product reviews and that's what drives views.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I think the no laying up lads have brought the whole thing to a new level. They have got into the culture , the politics , the industry , opinions , life stories.

The lads hitting balls in a shed for literally the 1000 th
    Time and having the banter with their mates is all a bit boring (admittedly after watching too much / thanks covid)

You'd actually meet better characters in your local pub society or golf club or boards golf society.

Look fair play to them . Have got into an industry . Seem to be doing well.

But the English lads are all one dimensional characters . The NLU lads are trying to come at the situation from a more liberal disruptive opinion.

They all end up being eaten alive by industry sadly.

Except for Topbloke :D

I noticed in crossfields latest video comparing pro v and z star ball he states he is sponsored by Srixon. Is this a new thing? Surely this compromises his videos?

I noticed in crossfields latest video comparing pro v and z star ball he states he is sponsored by Srixon. Is this a new thing? Surely this compromises his videos?

He's been with Srixon since the start of last year. He was with Titelist & Callaway in the past too.

I agree that it compromises his reviews, especially when he is comparing one manufacturer against another. I think that is why he focuses so much on the measured data, to try and take opinion out of it.

To be fair to him, he has been clear that he has a sponsorship with them & always wears the Srixon hat so at least he is upfront about it.

padmcv wrote: »
    He's been with Srixon since the start of last year. He was with Titelist & Callaway in the past too.

I agree that it compromises his reviews, especially when he is comparing one manufacturer against another. I think that is why he focuses so much on the measured data, to try and take opinion out of it.

To be fair to him, he has been clear that he has a sponsorship with them & always wears the Srixon hat so at least he is upfront about it.

Yeh noticed the gear alright. Did he always play the Srixon driver too?

Between this and his beef with taylormade really doesn't help with impartiality

Last year I found and picked up a set of clubs for a mate of mine wanting to get into golf. A standard set with a bag etc that had seen better days but perfect for him.
    When I went to pick them up and got talking to the guy he was an older gentleman who explained he was forced to give it up due to eyesight and poor health. You could see he was upset about it but also delighted that they would go to a "new" golfer. It was a good deal and I still didn't want to take it, left me quiet for the rest of the day thinking about it.

I un subbed from Crossfield at the end of last year, I just got tired of him. He ask's really interesting and sometimes uncomfortable questions of the industry, always tries to push his own understanding of how golf works etc.

However, his personality is just so poor. He loves drama and actively keeps it going. He snipes at other Youtubers for no reason aside from what seems like jealousy. He always seems like he's talking down to his audience, just comes across as unnecessarily arrogant. And his videos just became the same old stuff with a new title.

Having said all that, I don't belive his sponsorships have affected his reviews. All of his sponsors make good clubs though so there's never a need for a bad review.

Same story with the clubs, usually has a full bag deal I think.
    Yes, his impartiality is questionable for sure. I'm not too bothered by it as I mainly watch the course vlogs...find the reviews a bit boring myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭blue note

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    All of his sponsors make good clubs though so there's never a need for a bad review.

All of the manufacturers make good clubs now. You can buy a club that's more suited to you than another, but you can't really buy a bad club anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Break80

dan_ep82 wrote: »

Last year I found and picked up a set of clubs for a mate of mine wanting to get into golf. A standard set with a bag etc that had seen better days but perfect for him.
    When I went to pick them up and got talking to the guy he was an older gentleman who explained he was forced to give it up due to eyesight and poor health. You could see he was upset about it but also delighted that they would go to a "new" golfer. It was a good deal and I still didn't want to take it, left me quiet for the rest of the day thinking about it.

That's the most heartwarming and sad clip I have ever seen on youtube.
    I don't know if it's the lockdown finally getting to me but I am leaking after watching this.

When he is cycling off at the end you would need a heart of stone not to have a little leak.
    There's another old fella on Golfmates called Old Man Pat worth checking out.

Advertisement