Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English County Cricket thread.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Collingwood has been a true servant to both county and country. He's stuck with Durham through thin and thinner. He's the type who could takes the gear home to wash it. He's an inspiration to the game, and has remained loyal to his roots throughout his career

Having said that, there are 50 people who played Test cricket aged 42 and over

It may be a younger person's game nowadays, with fitness pretty much a pre-requisite for playing at this level. He always was an athlete though and has certainly looked after himself. He's been involved in coaching at both county and international levels, and I am sure will be able to quickly slip into a full-time role when he does stop playing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Beasty wrote: »

John Emburey being the most recent, in 1995 - when he took 0/82 from 30 overs, and scored 8.

I'd love to see the wonderful Rangana Herath becoming the 51st! :)

The good news is his cheerful dad still lives in Northampton.

This would be the cheerful dad who was born in Durham - and who wouldn't probably have ever played for Northants if Durham had been a FCC! :D

I once saw Peter W smile - but it may have been indigestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,844 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Squatter wrote: »
    This would be the cheerful dad who was born in Durham - and who wouldn't probably have ever played for Northants if Durham had been a FCC! :D

I once saw Peter W smile - but it may have been indigestion.

The lure of Northampton may have been enough! But to quote myself from a few days ago
    I like Durham, despite the fact their creation wiped out half of Northants recruitment options! We used to be a home for players from the North East.

Geoff Cook another brilliant player we persuaded to join.

Ollie Milburn might never have joined us either, and he was a club legend of epic proportions (in all senses). Though I never saw him play, I heard as many stories about him off the pitch as on it.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

The lure of Northampton may have been enough!

Geoff Cook another brilliant player we persuaded to join.

Ollie Milburn might never have joined us either, and he was a club legend of epic proportions (in all senses). Though I never saw him play, I heard as many stories about him off the pitch as on it.

You also got the mighty Steve Coverdale from Yorks!

• Advertisement

Turnipman wrote: »
    You also got the mighty Steve Coverdale from Yorks!

He was chief exec there for donkeys years. Virtually the whole time that I used to go iirk.

He was chief exec there for donkeys years. Virtually the whole time that I used to go iirk.

Ran the place very well on a shoestring budget I recall.

Didn't his replacement defraud the club of a very large sum of money? - I think he was later jailed for it.

Ran the place very well on a shoestring budget I recall.

Didn't his replacement defraud the club of a very large sum of money? - I think he was later jailed for it.

It's always a shoestring there, but yeah there were financial discrepancies and a finance administrator went to prison for fraud, she was doing it during Coverdales tenure but only got found out once he'd gone.

All fun at Wantage Road.

Going to lose by a hundred runs tonight looks like. Durham cruising.

It's always a shoestring there, but yeah there were financial discrepancies and a finance administrator went to prison for fraud, she was doing it during Coverdales tenure but only got found out once he'd gone.

All fun at Wantage Road.

Not much fun at Chester-le-Street tonight though. :(

• Advertisement

Not much fun at Chester-le-Street tonight though. :(

It's about as bad as i can remember. T20 was normally the bright spot in a bleak season, this is worse than our county championship performances.

It's about as bad as i can remember. T20 was normally the bright spot in a bleak season, this is worse than our county championship performances.

Id be lumping my kids college fund on Yorkshire tomorrow (if I was financially astute enough to have a college fund for my kids).

Id be lumping my kids college fund on Yorkshire tomorrow (if I was financially astute enough to have a college fund for my kids).

Yep - although Yorks can be flaky enough, as two stuffings V Derby in recent days showed;the luckless Tim Bressie has been scapegoated and dropped!

Poor Duckett's decline has been very depressing to watch. I suspect that he'll probably need to move elsewhere next season if he has any ambition.

Poor Duckett's decline has been very depressing to watch. I suspect that he'll probably need to move elsewhere next season if he has any ambition.

His attitude (even at a county who give him a pass on a lot of stuff) and form this year means they're won't be that many suitors for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

Another excellent win for my home county Kent in the blast last night.

We really are an impressive outfit at the moment with Denly, Kuhn, Milne etc

Canterbury looked superb as the sun set over the stands too, always a nice advert for the county

Some absolutely out of this world hitting at the oval tonight in the Blast

Paul Stirling belted his way to a phenomenal century for Middlesex as they posted 221

Jason Roy and Aaron Finch making the chase look easy right now, 98/0 off 6 overs so far, both striking the ball Exquisitly

Some of the best range hitting you will see in any T20 competition anywhere, full house at the oval, great atmosphere... someone remind me why the ECB are obstinately pressing on with this 100 ball competition?

Another day, another loss for the Steelbacks, Yorkshire comfortable winners. Next up on the Northants points giveaway bonanza the Birmingham, or Warwickshire as I prefer, Bears.

Well done Durham!

Few things in cricket are more enjoyable than watching Lancashire taking careful aim and shooting themselves in the foot in front of a baying Old Trafford crowd. Far too much testosterone and not enough grey cells in that Red Rose team! James Faulkner should be shipped straight back to the colonies on a convict ship.

With lots of stuff going on that I'd rather wasn't I didn't see the blast scores until now. Good job I was sitting down. Northants Steelbacks have recorded their first win of the season! Derbyshire Falcons the team who should be embarrassed.

Hmmm, Moxon says Yorkshire are hopeful of signing Ben Duckett, so that'll be the third player they've taken off Northants hands in recent years. Isn't that super.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, Moxon says Yorkshire are hopeful of signing Ben Duckett, so that'll be the third player they've taken off Northants hands in recent years. Isn't that super.

Much too depressed after tonight's spineless performance against Lancs (Willey and TK-C excepted) to respond. :(

Great innings from Willey tonight. It all completely fell apart after he was caught. Yorkshire ended up 40 or 50 short of what should have been their target at that stage

I was out in Canberra over the winter and had the pleasure of seeing Willey belt Nathan Lyon for 34 from a single over in a Prime Minister’s XI match. Terrific striker of the ball.

Was great to welcome David Willey back to Wantage Road today I'm sure. He only flayed 70 odd and took 3 wickets in a nerve wracking for Yorkshire fans, tense victory* for his team over Northants. Reading the local press he actually got a warm reception, so that's something.

Steelbacks consistency at home this season in the Blast has been admirable. Lost every single game, and hammered in virtually all of them.

*It was a cakewalk.

Terrific game at Canterbury again tonight. Kent belted their way to 231, which included 23 extras and 6 penalty runs for a slow over rate by Somerset.

Somerset got to within 5 runs in reply; so without the penalty runs they would have tied!

Northants won again in their final t20 game. They beat Leicestershire, even after having a bowler on his pro t20 debut withdrawn after only 2 deliveries. Both head high beamers, nerves wrecked him unfortunately, still, the only way is up.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well Yorkshire lost, but can console themselves with the fact they finished above Northants....

:pac:

Beasty wrote: »
    Well Yorkshire lost, but can console themselves with the fact they finished above Northants....

:pac:

They'd have qualified if "white ball only" Adil Rashid hadn't been called up to the test team by that former Kentish bustard Ed Smith. :mad:

Yorks humiliated at Scarboro for the fifth time in the past 3 seasons. Well done to Moeen Ali for a superb all-round performance.

If Andrew Gale isn't sacked by the end of the month, then the ECB really need to set up a third division for the county to be relegated into at the end of next season! :(

Terrific game at Canterbury again tonight. Kent belted their way to 231, which included 23 extras and 6 penalty runs for a slow over rate by Somerset.

Somerset got to within 5 runs in reply; so without the penalty runs they would have tied!

I assume that the Canterbury groundsman will be sacked after preparing an unbelievably spinner friendly wicket for Kent's big T20 game V Lancs on Thursday! Correctly (if crudely) described by Billings as a "slow snot heap"!

Factoring in the insane Denly run-out of Bell-Drummond in the first over and it's clear that Kent Cricket has a death wish! ("Invicta" my backside!) :(

• Advertisement

Ben Duckett off to Nottinghamshire. Maybe he'll fulfill his potential there. Won't hold my breath.

Advertisement