Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

West Cork

• 09-02-2018 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Opinions? I'm on episode 4 now

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Didn't realise this had been released yet. Is it only available on Audible?

What do you think of it so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭decnug

I think it is only on audible, I created a trial account to get it. Up to episode 9 and really enjoying it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I don't understand Audible, you're charged a monthly subscription and still have to pay to download books. Why anyone would sign up to this I'll never know!

I might get the trial to download the podcast then immediately cancel.

I listened to a 3/4 episodes so far.
    Really plays like amateur hour for the nyards approach on the first day - the French much have been bulling. This was compounded by the fact that it was just before Christmas I guess and the remoteness of the place.
    Am a paranoid or is there a slight slight tone of spurn in the presentation - or is it just 'cos the presenters are English? :)
    It's decent but the Irish accents are awful!

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I don't understand Audible, you're charged a monthly subscription and still have to pay to download books. Why anyone would sign up to this I'll never know!

you get one free book a month with the membership as far as I can see. the podcasts seem to be free? (I still have a book credit after starting this podcast)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

Kingp35 wrote: »

Free book each month at any price. Can build up credits if you want. Eg I got Sherlock Holmes for a credit recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭weadick

glasso wrote: »
    Really plays like amateur hour for the nyards approach on the first day - the French much have been bulling. This was compounded by the fact that it was just before Christmas I guess and the remoteness of the place.
    Am a paranoid or is there a slight slight tone of spurn in the presentation - or is it just 'cos the presenters are English? :)

Im on episode 7. It's good, better than I was expecting. Interesting to hear Bailey's back story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Wow, bailey doesn't do himself any favours. The Gardai messed up so much, no wonder the French want nothing to do with the Irish judiciary.

Well produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

I am on episode 7 and thoroughly enjoying so far. Definitely recommend.
    It sets the scene incredibly well of the remoteness of the place and characters within it.
    Lots of background and as far as I can gather completely objective.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭weadick

So many weird characters in West Cork, from the suspect to the witness to the police. I was quite taken aback listening to Bailey lose his temper in the taxi on the last episode, he does seem to have a bit of a split personality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Very good and well presented and researched podcast. Interesting to hear about Ian Bailey's life and hear him and his partner on tape talking about this. 6 episodes in now and really enjoying it. Highly recommended for fans of true crime stuff.

unusual podcast overall but worth the time.
    not sure what to make of things after listening to it though - I suppose that that is the intention - to make you think.
    Bailey seems like a genuinely strange person who is certainly a shades of grey type individual.
    The guards come out of it appearing to be inept and certainly attempting to short-cut things in terms of picking out Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I'm only on episode 4 but I'm loving it so far. There's loads of stuff I'd either forgotten or never knew in the first place. However, it's interesting to most of us here, I'm guessing, because we're familiar with how the case has rumbled on for so long. I don't know how somebody coming fresh to the case, who's unaware of the controversy, would put up with the exchanges with the old hippies, or the multiple descriptions of west Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Currently on episode 10 after downloading it last night. I'd heard of the case, but really didn't know much about it beforehand. It's a really sad, bizarre case. I just don't know what to make of Bailey, yet. Delusional? Quite possibly.

Interesting side of things that the podcast brought out is how Bailey (not guilty or guilty) seems to have embraced the whole thing as being central to his identity and his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

I absolutely loved this. I wasn't expecting much to be honest, but this is what podcasts should be. I was sick last Monday so I spent the whole day in bed listening to it. And it was a very enjoyable day.
    They obviously put a huge amount of work in to this podcast. They got interviews with all the main players, and got a huge amount of time from Ian Bailey. I particularly liked the episode about Ian Bailey's past in England, and where his life started to go off track. Because although he is the villain of the piece, he is also a victim of life. After a promising start, his marriage failed, his career went south, and he moved away.
    I got this on Audible free. I'm already a subscriber. If anybody could recommend something similar to this, I would appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Started it this morning. Really enjoying it.

It's really following the Serial template isn't it? Slick background audio, plinky-plonky music and great production values.

I loved it too. No real spoilers but for me the last episode was the best, so telling... how we speak to and treat those closest to us and all that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Very interesting alright. West Cork sounds like a very different place.

I've always thought he was stitched up and hung out to dry on very little evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Gotta say, it's been a week since I finished the podcast and I'm still thinking about it. Funnily enough, I found a reference to one of the producers in a copy of Totally Dublin magazine the other day. It turns out that Sam Bungey (the male producer) was a magazine editor in Dublin in the mid-2000s. So the 'set-up', that of two naive podcasters coming fresh to the story, was little more than a narrative device - and a really effective one too! Given that he must have been extremely familiar with, say, the libel case, I'm very impressed with the final product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

If anyone is thinking of signing up to Audible, bear in mind that Audible.co.uk is £8, whereas Audible.com is $14.95. I was using the .com subscription for years, paying over the odds for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Interesting side of things that the podcast brought out is how Bailey (not guilty or guilty) seems to have embraced the whole thing as being central to his identity and his life.

Not surprising though when you consider the impact it has had on his life.

You have only to look at other circumstances like the Mcbrearty and Sgt McCabe scandals to understand the all enveloping effect these things can have on ones life.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭iancairns

“The Irish accents are awful”.....

Eh they’re the speakers actual accents.

Loved the podcast. Haven’t a clue who did it still

Crookhaven one of my fave spots on earth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

The one thing that is clear to me is that Bailey loves being the suspect. It's like the whole thing gives him purpose in his life.

The gardai made a balls of it. Everything from how the scene was managed to solely focsusing on Bailey.

Would love to know who it was that Marie Farrell seen at the bridge that night and who was actually with her in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭donalh087

It is a big demand to ask anyone to listen to eight hours of radio. Radio is more passive, more tune in / tune out, and people rarely sit down to actively listen. That said, I have been looking forward for some time to an outsider’s view of the Sophie Toscan du Plantier murder in Schull 20 odd years ago. Would we learn something new? Would there be new allegations?

Eight hours later and I feel like I was bludgeoned to a stupor by a concrete block of boredom by a man in a long coat (probably). There is a depressing backing track of electronic organ that could be cello or French Horn but played (for 8 hours) by someone on sleeping tablets.

Radio requires a certain ‘voice’. An authority, a credibility. Sam Bungey, the presenter, squeaked his way through West Cork trying to make himself sound clever. Which he didn’t manage.

Bungey tries to paint West Cork as this kind of Gothic, bleak, dysfunctional, substance dependent, escape for people who can’t function elsewhere. If it were, then the murder would not have shocked so much.

This podcast misses the beauty of West Cork, it misses the fun and laughter, it misses the generosity of spirit, it misses having a pint outside Bushes or a walk by Lough Hyne, it misses late summer in Barleycove. It misses the fantastic normal country folk. The reason Sophie’s murder was such a shock was because there was a violation of a place and a way of life.

West Cork, Audio Book, imho, is a sadly wasted opportunity.

donalh087 wrote: »
    It is a big demand to ask anyone to listen to eight hours of radio. Radio is more passive, more tune in / tune out, and people rarely sit down to actively listen. That said, I have been looking forward for some time to an outsider’s view of the Sophie Toscan du Plantier murder in Schull 20 odd years ago. Would we learn something new? Would there be new allegations?

Eight hours later and I feel like I was bludgeoned to a stupor by a concrete block of boredom by a man in a long coat (probably). There is a depressing backing track of electronic organ that could be cello or French Horn but played (for 8 hours) by someone on sleeping tablets.

Radio requires a certain ‘voice’. An authority, a credibility. Sam Bungey, the presenter, squeaked his way through West Cork trying to make himself sound clever. Which he didn’t manage.

Bungey tries to paint West Cork as this kind of Gothic, bleak, dysfunctional, substance dependent, escape for people who can’t function elsewhere. If it were, then the murder would not have shocked so much.

This podcast misses the beauty of West Cork, it misses the fun and laughter, it misses the generosity of spirit, it misses having a pint outside Bushes or a walk by Lough Hyne, it misses late summer in Barleycove. It misses the fantastic normal country folk. The reason Sophie’s murder was such a shock was because there was a violation of a place and a way of life.

West Cork, Audio Book, imho, is a sadly wasted opportunity.

Its a podcast that focuses on the murder case, not the West Cork countryside. Not sure what exactly you were expecting from something that clearly bills itself as focusing on the murder. I thought it was extremely well researched and presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭donalh087

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Its a podcast that focuses on the murder case, not the West Cork countryside. Not sure what exactly you were expecting from something that clearly bills itself as focusing on the murder. I thought it was extremely well researched and presented.

An earlier poster said something about West Cork being full of weirdos. And to listen to the podcast you would agree. All I'm saying is that is a great, vibrant, artistic, creative and fun place too - which is why the murder was more shocking. It is the story of a murder in a community and I think the community is misrepresented.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Do I need to pay 8 pounds a month to listen to this?
    Will they release this as a podcast?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Do I need to pay 8 pounds a month to listen to this?
    Will they release this as a podcast?

No. You can sign up for a free months trial.

• Advertisement

donalh087 wrote: »
    An earlier poster said something about West Cork being full of weirdos. And to listen to the podcast you would agree. All I'm saying is that is a great, vibrant, artistic, creative and fun place too - which is why the murder was more shocking. It is the story of a murder in a community and I think the community is misrepresented.

You're not wrong about West Cork being artistic and vibrant but that'd probably be a good topic for another podcast. I don't think the community was misrepresented at all - they were there to tell the story of Ian Bailey and the murder and I thought they did it really well. Each to their own, I suppose!

Advertisement