Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ongoing Doctor Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well that was anti climatic. Well see how that person gets on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Nice swerve through the use of camera angles before the ultimate reveal. I enjoyed Jodie in ATB anyway, good luck to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Well that was anti climatic. Well see how that person gets on

She does have the ear of a former doctor to help her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

You knew it was female by the frame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

I like it but fanboys gonna go mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

They could've put together a better package than a 30 second teaser, but happy to see who'll be manning the TARDIS - I'm confident given what I've seen of their previous work.

pun intended

brilou23 wrote: »

True but with Missy been the Master anything could happen especially as people really took to her. Interesting if she has a multi season contract or have they a get out clause. Hope they do not have 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Meh.

Wont be that interested in the next season.

Meh.

Why not at least give her a chance.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

brilou23 wrote: »

https://twitter.com/TechnicallyRon/status/886189206300655616

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Put up with allot of nonsense over past 10 years of Nu Who but kept watching out of habit but a female doctor feels too much of a desperate gimmick and is enough for me not to tune in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So I guess those last minute odds shortening were correct, cos I think it was TickleMeElmo who said that was the bookies 11th hour favourite. Just shows.

Honestly, I only know her from Attack the Block, and excellent as that film was (seriously, sidebar go check it out) I don't recall her that well. Look forward to seeing her in action but she is definitely inheriting a LOT of scrutiny and baggage from the get go. Wish her only success

Meh.

Based on a 30 second teaser?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Doctor Who was one of the very few genuine good male role models left out there for young men sad to see that change I must say.

pixelburp wrote: »
    So I guess those last minute odds shortening were correct, cos I think it was TickleMeElmo who said that was the bookies 11th hour favourite. Just shows.

Honestly, I only know her from Attack the Block, and excellent as that film was (seriously, sidebar go check it out) I don't recall her that well. Look forward to seeing her in action but she is definitely inheriting a LOT of scrutiny and baggage from the get go. Wish her only success

Yeah, I only saw her mentioned yesterday morning, hadn't heard her name in any serious discussion up to that point. I saw some people last night say that the same thing happened with Smith and Capaldi before they were announced.

Not a fan of her work in previous shows.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I find it sad how many people are disregarding her not because of her acting ability, but purely cause she's a woman.

I get the Doctor has always been a man, but rarely was his penis an important part of the character. Its a really weird overtone of sexism that disappoints me greatly. I know little about her, but I'm willing to give her a chance to play the character. We know nothing at all about her portrayal yet.

If she can be quirky and they don't play up her gender too much, she'll be grand.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Put up with allot of nonsense over past 10 years of Nu Who but kept watching out of habit but a female doctor feels too much of a desperate gimmick and is enough for me not to tune in.

But why. Why has it to be a gimmick who says The Doctor can not be a woman. Not watching because they change the character to female in my mind is terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

McLoughlin wrote: »

Being female shouldn't be a gimmick. It's overdue, that's all it is.

I'm not at all familiar with her to be honest. Looking forward to finding out.

If she can be quirky and they don't play up her gender too much, she'll be grand.

I do in a way I hope they do a bit at the very start. When they see the transformation at the start she could go what you thought I could only be male. It be a bit of fun. Could have done it in the trailer

Goodshape wrote: »
    Being female shouldn't be a gimmick. It's overdue, that's all it is.

I'm not at all familiar with her to be honest. Looking forward to finding out.

After been forced to watch St. Trinians years ago, my patience for those actors is low

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Doctor Who was one of the very few genuine good male role models left out there for young men

You absolutely must be joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭nuttyboy79

Liked her in Broadchurch. It's a new direction for the show and for me at least most importantly it's not Kris Marshall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The whole POINT of regeneration is a gimmick, so not sure why people would waste time getting uppity over this particular one, beyond the obvious yet simple difference this time. The whole things a lottery

Give her a chance. Matt Smith received a fairly universal shrug when he was announced, myself included and was very underwhelmed at first, and look how that turned out; arguably the most off-screen doctor of the new lot.

I'm just looking forward to the usual regeneration observations the Doctor always makes. Like she's not ginger and then the more gender specific ones.

Well okay I can take that reasoning. Not the The Doctors a female so not watching reaction. (Not saying that's you)

I've seen her in a few different things, she's done straight up drama, full on comedy, a mix of both. I wouldn't worry about her ability to carry the role. As I said before I'm glad Moffat and co are gone because I wouldn't have trusted him with a female Doctor. The new guy, Chibnall, based purely on Broadchurch, seems to be at least capable of writing well developed characters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

She was great in Broadchurch (which also happened to be written by Chris Chibnall), so hopefully she'll have the stories to match

Advertisement