Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Will that be a ppv top watch online or any UK channel showing it? Nice to have something on local time as well.

Pretty sure the main card is PPV. http://www.polaris-pro.org/pay-per-view-ppv/
    There is a free undercard also.

Alain Pozo x Micah Atkinson (NO GI)
    Vinicius de Castro x Greg Creel (GI)
    Keith McKenzie x Jeff Lawson (GI)
    Adam Adshead x Phil Harris (NO GI)
    Travis Newaza x Ben Dyson (NO GI)

Only guy I know there is Travis Newaza .But had to lol at the guy called Phil Harris, somebody has to make the Phil Harris/Paul Harris connection in the coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭cletus

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    So you've had No mma/bjj for 7 year and your back at it now? Sorry for prying, in a similar situation myself although not as long an absence from the sport. Really want to get back into it

Exactly. Your not prying at all. Just go for it. I've put competition, belts etc out of my head, along with pressure to get to class. I go when I can, I enjoy it, and I understand I'll be a perpetual blue belt

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

Are everyones injuries from sparring hard or competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,632 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I've done all my fingers and toes dislocation in training.

Muscle damage on my back at an open mat.

Shoulder in training.

Mat burn in comp.

I tend to roll very light (smallest guy in the club at 58kg) but a lot of the guys just Hulk through the move/position when against me and use their extra strength. Because of that I've built a very defensive game and tend to counter attack when they make a mistake.

My finger was in comp but it's minor really. Shoulder was an awkward fall in a roll. MCL was a heavier guy sprawling on me sideways when I was sitting out. It was open mat at a different club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Friend of mine torn ligaments badly in his leg. Paul o Connell kinda bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Phoebe Full Overlap

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I've done all my fingers and toes dislocation in training.

You've dislocated ALL your fingers and toes in training?.

You've dislocated ALL your fingers and toes in training?.

No all the dislocations were done in training.

Little finger on my left pops out nearly every session now. Also done two on my right hand.

Dislocated my little toe on both feet aa well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

In my first week rolling, i had a guy in full guard. He (also a beginner) decided to use his elbows to open my guard but digging it into my kneecap. All I remember is watching my kneecap go from the centre of my knee to about 4 inches to the left and back again. A pain I'll never forget

• Registered Users Posts: 29,434 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Way to kill my buzz lads :pac:

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    No all the dislocations were done in training.

Little finger on my left pops out nearly every session now. Also done two on my right hand.

Dislocated my little toe on both feet aa well.

That's mad, I'd be taping those at every session.. You're f*cked if you ever try Judo grip fighting :(

I've never been hurt in BJJ or Wrestling training, lucky me.

But Judo is another story entirely. I couldn't even list all my sprains, fractures and small joint dislocations I've suffered.

Broken arms/elbows and esp shoulders would be common at Judo comps.

When I'm hurt I do more BJJ.

That's mad, I'd be taping those at every session.. You're f*cked if you ever try Judo grip fighting :(

I've never been hurt in BJJ or Wrestling training, lucky me.

But Judo is another story entirely. I couldn't even list all my sprains, fractures and small joint dislocations I've suffered.

Broken arms/elbows and esp shoulders would be common at Judo comps.

When I'm hurt I do more BJJ.

Edit: I thought you meant tapping the bigger guys for power through everything and loosing the run of themselves.

I may start taping my fingers though. Might help a bit but the coach got in grip trainers and they seem to be helping.

I do.

Theres a white belt in the club at around 70kg whos had a few cage fights. He does not know how to do 50%. He rolls at full speed, massive pressure, powers through everything and forces every submission.

I pull gaurd, sweep, attempt something, let go move myself to a worse position to allow him to escape and continue that until time is up.

He gets tired after 5 minutes or so and then I'll tap him every minute or so for the next 10 minutes.

I love to flow from triangle, armbar, omaplata, shoulder lock and back just to play with him sometimes if he leaves a lot of room ill even try the odd GoGoplata from Omaplata to really piss him off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

i joined up and tried some jiu jitsu today.. relay enjoyed it... time flew. il def be keeping it up.

i joined up and tried some jiu jitsu today.. relay enjoyed it... time flew. il def be keeping it up.

Stick with it. If you manage to stay the pace for the six months you'll keep going after that.

Enjoy it man !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

It's the most frustrating, self depreciating, ego checking, pain inflicting, time and thought consuming thing I've ever been involved in, and I fecking love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I hadn't realised it was so addictive until this week. I have pneumonia and pleurisy so I missed my double class on Tuesday and missing today. It's driving me crazy, its like I'm having withdrawl sysmtoms, I can't stop thinking about how much I'm missing out on.

I'm back at the doctors on Monday and I'm fairly sure he'll tell me to skip at least another week of it, if he does I'm going to have to go anyway, just to watch. At least if I was watching I might pick a few things up.

It's the most frustrating, self depreciating, ego checking, pain inflicting, time and thought consuming thing I've ever been involved in, and I fecking love it.

It's like heroin but worse for your health :D

darced wrote: »

That's why I train more BJJ when I'm injured.

Or when a Judoka is injured I'll often advise them to try some BJJ while they're recovering or just tell him to try some Judo newaza (ground work).

Btw are you throwing onto crash mats, judo mats or zig-saw mats?.

• Advertisement

That's why I train more BJJ when I'm injured.

Or when a Judoka is injured I'll often advise them to try some BJJ while they're recovering or just tell him to try some Judo newaza (ground work).

Btw are you throwing onto crash mats, judo mats or zig-saw mats?.

If anyone tried to throw me on a jigsaw mat I'd slap the **** out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭cletus

are you serious? 40mm ones.

I wouldn't be happy being thrown on a jigsaw mat.

As an aside, I find it a little odd that you do little to no drilling of throws, but you start all sparring from a position where you have to throw, or at least hit a takedown, to get to rolling

100% serious.

All rolling on jigsaw mats should start from the ground. They aren't designed to do the same job as proper mats.

Either proper Judo or Wrestling mats if you're starting standing up. Or something like the big vinyl mat in SGB or the ones the various Gracie gyms use (Renzo, Rickson, Gracie Academy, etc all use the same design).

I'll allow take downs on jigsaws no problem, but not throws. I'm not willing to risk injury on substandard equipment.

I'm old and narky.

We've proper mats throughout the club. the large rectangular ones, maybe 35-40mm. No problem being throw on them, but we usually start on knees in BJJ classes, due to numbers.
    Wrestling sparring starts standing with out issue.

If I was drilling judo throws, especially if a new one, sometimes I get the crash mat out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

hey lads, hope this isn't considered a plug but a friend of mine has just started coaching in Ballymun and im pretty sure Ballinteer. He's a genuine brazilian blackbelt so if anyone wants details then PM me and ill send u on his number. Cheers

Advertisement