Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Doctor Who Spin Off "Class"

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

pixelburp wrote: »
    I heard / read it was going to air on bbc1 the next day or thereabouts.

That was the initial plan but that was before BBC 3 actually went off air... I'm hoping it's still the same but I've seen no mention of air dates for BBC 1 in all these new news releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,271 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This is from last year so hopefully plans haven't changed.

https://twitter.com/Patrick_Ness/status/649838025648771073?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Patrick Ness
    Btw, plan is, "Class" airs on BBC3 online, then on BBC1, at which point the new episode of "Class" hits BBC3. It's cool.

Still no confirmation of when this will be in BBC 1. The cast and Ness are pushing the launch pretty hard but only mentioning BBC3 and the iPlayer. If it was still the original plan for airing it should be showing up in TV guides by now.

EDIT:
    Official site doesn't mention BBC 1 at all. I'm guessing it will still air on it but not until it's finished online.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/14XjtnLypvQz3lD7mp4Dt43/where-to-watch-class-around-the-world

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jim-jam

Just watched the first two episodes. Must say I quite enjoyed it. Nice to be back in the world of Who. However, while it is a Doctor Who spin off, it is so much darker. Certainly not for children.

It's being released on Bluray/DVD on January 2nd. Still no word on when it'll be on BBC 1.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Strange, maybe the just shelved the idea to broadcast on BBC1? Seems like the reviews coming out are pretty mixed, some complaints of tonal dissonance with the parent proeprty. Still looking forward to dipping the toes though

Strange, maybe the just shelved the idea to broadcast on BBC1? Seems like the reviews coming out are pretty mixed, some complaints of tonal dissonance with the parent proeprty. Still looking forward to dipping the toes though

I think the intention was always to have it as an almost completely separate entity that just happens to be set in the same universe as Dr. Who.

What's happened with most of the BBC 3 original content lately is it airs fully on BBC 3/online and then airs on BBC 1/2. I'm not sure how many episodes of Class there are but you'd probably be talking mid December if they follow that format, which doesn't seem likely. The cynic in me thinks they'll wait until a while after the DVD release to maximise sales among those who can't access it online.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I contrived to see the first episode and well, tbh, it was a bit of a hot mess, as premieres go anyway. Breakneck pace to a fault, with way too much information to take in, yet no time to process any of it - to the point where I'd just call it incoherent. Ms Quill comes across as an antagonistic Doctor stand-in & may be the most 'fun' character, while the Doc's actual cameo just made me disappointed there's no new actually Who on the telly. His appearance was also pretty tonally jarring too given the darker tone supposedly being aimed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I did enjoy the first two episodes, but I think if Katherine Kelly wasn't there as Ms Quill I'd be less inclined to watch any more of it - the fact she was less present in episode 2 really showed and they definitely need to keep her at the forefront in future episodes. I'll give it a fair go anyway, but nothing spectacular so far.

The other day I was checking the BBC 3 site to see if it mentioned when the episodes would be on BBC 1 and for some magical reason the first episode was playing for me. I didn't have time to watch it at that point though and now when I go to it it's gone back to telling me it only works in the UK. :mad:

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what to make of it.

I think it's still got the same problem all Doctor Who related shows have, tonally it doesn't quite know where to be.

I find myself liking the human stuff, Ram and Tanya are especially good, but then it's kind of jarring when a giant CGI dragon is talking to them. Quill is quite funny too but she sometimes feels like a stand in Doctor, quipping away in the midst of danger and what not.

Some of the dialogue in the pilot was ropey too, very self aware with the references to it's diverse cast and Bechdel tests and what have you. Some of the scenes between the four leads seemed a bit awkward too, like they weren't all on the same page but maybe that's just early days and it'll iron itself out.

I thought the girl playing Tanya was probably the best of the four leads, she seems most capable of handling the jumps from serious to comedy and back again.

All in all though I think there was more to like than there was to dislike. I'll watch some more.

p.s. The theme music doesn't really fit with the opening titles, or is that just me?

Anyone still watching this?

I don't know what to make of it. There's some good stuff and then there's some weak stuff and then there's a lot of in between kind of stuff.

Despite it being full of overly emotional teens it still feels weirdly more of a grown up show than Doctor Who itself, but there's still a bit too much of the teen stuff for me. .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I watched two episodes of it. Not exactly blown away by it honestly. It's kinda background T.V.

Forum quietness aside, anyone actually watching this? The first episode was so underwhelming I've kinda just forgotten to even keep an eye on what the general reception has been...

Forum quietness aside, anyone actually watching this? The first episode was so underwhelming I've kinda just forgotten to even keep an eye on what the general reception has been...

I watched first 3, maybe 4? Haven't kept up since.

It's a really weird show in that it feels darker and a bit less family orientated than Doctor Who itself and yet it still feels like something I'm too old to be watching. It feels a bit like there's too much going on too. I applaud any effort to make TV more diverse but at times it feels very on the nose with it's inclusiveness, often to the detriment of the actual story.

Probably doesn't help that I started watching Crazyhead on E4 around the same time. It's not exactly the same themes and ideas but it's basically ordinary people randomly entrusted with protecting humanity from bad guys, but it's a million times better.

I watched first 3, maybe 4? Haven't kept up since.

It's a really weird show in that it feels darker and a bit less family orientated than Doctor Who itself and yet it still feels like something I'm too old to be watching. It feels a bit like there's too much going on too. I applaud any effort to make TV more diverse but at times it feels very on the nose with it's inclusiveness, often to the detriment of the actual story.

Probably doesn't help that I started watching Crazyhead on E4 around the same time. It's not exactly the same themes and ideas but it's basically ordinary people randomly entrusted with protecting humanity from bad guys, but it's a million times better.

Ok, had never even heard of Crazyhead, but it looks... weird, daft. But definitely something I might enjoy.

I get what you mean about Class though; aside from everything else going on with the first episode, I felt a bit too cranky & old for the whole thing (despite the cast themselves being way older than they're supposed to be), which when we're talking about Dr. Who is a pretty damning indictment.

Ok, had never even heard of Crazyhead, but it looks... weird, daft. But definitely something I might enjoy.

I loved it. You'll get it on the All 4 app and it's going on Netflix in December.

So this will air on BBC 1 starting Monday January 9th at 10:45 pm.
    Good chance if you're on BBC NI it could be even later as they often do that with evening scheduling.

They've obviously left it until after Christmas so anyone who hasn't figured out a way to watch it will already have shelled out for the DVD.

Welp, this thread itself was clearly a harbinger of the broader success & appeal of 'Class', cos the plug has been officially pulled:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/class-the-doctor-who-spinoff-barely-anyone-watched-is-1802667089

• Registered Users Posts: 60,271 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It was added to Netflix today.

• Advertisement

Well, never did get around to watching the rest of the series, and given it was cancelled I suppose it was one more reason not to bother.

Advertisement