Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why cricket is not included in Olympics?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

50 over tournament was in the Commonwealth Games relatively recently (1998) and didn't really work.
    Could argue that if it was a roaring success in the Commonwealth Games then it might ultimately have become an Olympic sport, and conversely if the CG now doesn't bother with it (despite all the major cricket powers being Commonwealth countries) then why should the Olympics have an interest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_at_the_1998_Commonwealth_Games
    Might see cricket going into Commonwealth games but if it doesn't go into Commonwealth games it has no chance of making it into the Olympics and I don't see 20/20 ever being played in an Olympics

Bumped thread.

First step in the road, with T20 Womens given the go-ahead for the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
    https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cricket/story/women-cricket-t20-internationals-2002-commonwealth-games-birmingham-edgbaston-1580353-2019-08-13

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I'm surprised the Indians are not pushing for this. India have an appauling record at the Olympics. 9 golds in total, the same as Ireland.

The only market that is untapped for the IOC is the Asian Sub Continent. Pakistan (3 golds), Sri Lanka (0 golds) and Bangladesh (don't even have a medal) also have terrible Olympic records. That's a market of 1.7bn people who's interest in the Olympics is likely very casual because they very have little stake in it.

It makes sense on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭nice bit of green

I don’t like how sports feel the need to chase participation in the olympics for some sort of recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I don’t like how sports feel the need to chase participation in the olympics for some sort of recognition.

In fairness it brings a global spotlight on sports that people normally wouldn't be bothered watching. That exposure is huge for sports that are looking to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 t.singh1

Cricket is a long game. I think that should be the reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

t.singh1 wrote: »
    Cricket is a long game. I think that should be the reason.

It could go in at 20/20 level with 8 teams to keep it reasonably short.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Happyhouse22

• Registered Users Posts: 24,777 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Problem I can see is the weather. And the logistical complications that would throw up...

cricket is one of the very few sports 1000% dependent on the weather to allow a fixture take place. No rain, good light.

if on Sunday 15th August there was in the morning and afternoon a bronze playoff, then in the evening and night the gold / silver final... forecast is rain all week or most of it... what then ? Security, stewards, police, administrators, catering folks, ground staff, extra transportation arrangements can’t be held off waiting all week until the weather gets better.

athletics, swimming, football, equestrian, archery, diving, and lots more have no real weather requirements and would only be impacted if extreme weather events impacted them... Cricket is one of the very few sports that is 1000% depending on good weather and good light..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,679 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Even Tennis which used to be dependent on rain can now been done with a roof. Can't see that with cricket.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Hmm interesting observation. Definitely could see this being an issue.

Maybe schedule the entire tournament to finish within the first week of the games... That gives seven extra days to play with. How is this issue resolved at other tournaments - I seem to remember the odd Ireland game decided with the Duckworth-Lewis method.

• Advertisement

Could try it but I’m googling here and I can’t find any examples of indoor international cricket maybe need to be trialed first.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d be surprised if there was any self supporting roof in the world that would cover a test match oval. Maybe in some mega factories. Indoor cricket is not feasible.

my own feelings are if winning Olympic gold is not the pinnacle of the sport it shouldn’t be there. Soccer, rugby, baseball, basketball, tennis and golf shouldn’t be there. I’d say an Aussie would take an ashes series over an Olympic gold.

I wasn't really suggesting it. Could not see a way of that big of a roof in a cricket pitch

Given McIlroy said he never fought so hard to be third and it was refreshing and Stephanie meadows playing golf in the olympics instead of competing in an event she won last time with a purse of over €10 million. There was also the Brizillian player who played both the Copa America and Olympics and scored this week in the premiership.

Edit Richardlison for Everton

Cost millions and just sit idle for most of the year.

also I think one of the factors of cricket is the weather and it’s impact and how teams manage it...

ie.

overcast and humid = swing

dry pitch = spin

green pitch with moisture = movement off the seam.

with a roof you’d be using drop in pitches, which most cricketers hate playing on.

Advertisement