Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Primary / Secondary Masters Courses - Post Q's Here Please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No, I've been teaching for 10 years and I'm one of those lucky ones that has a permanent job.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 xxXchocolate puppyXxx

Are you currently working in the school that you got the TP? I'm just surprised you got the TP sorted so early. Most schools dont think about it until April/May. If you aren't in the school I would recommend you keep in semi-regular contact with the teacher in charge of TP students because you can end up being forgotten when it comes to next year as the teacher has 101 other things to think about.

Yeah I live nearby it and they signed a form agreeing to it, I was surprised they agreed too! but I guess it's a free teacher for them!
    But yeah thanks for the tip, il be sure to my face around there again

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nari85

Hey I just want to know would I be able to put down CSPE as a subject to teach. I have a degree in geography and history and a masters in International Relations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Nari85 wrote: »
    Hey I just want to know would I be able to put down CSPE as a subject to teach. I have a degree in geography and history and a masters in International Relations
    No, only Hist & Geography

What would you have to study to teach cpse?

Also would my application Still be considered if I only had 1reference, having trouble getting the other one because can't get over to college with the snow....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Also would my application Still be considered if I only had 1reference, having trouble getting the other one because can't get over to college with the snow....

What all 'Supplementary Documents' are you sending for DCU application? Results, Ref, Consent, placement forms? Any more?

Yeah all that and my cv aswell.why not?

Ye just don't want to miss anything. A copy of your birth cert isn't needed is it?

I doubt it unless maybe if your nationality isn't Irish. But I guess no harm to throw it in just in case, better safe than sorry!

Your undergrad degree would probably have to have politics or sociology in it

• Advertisement

Could I do take my special methods in History if I only done it in first year- 4 modules and then one Economic History model in 3rd year?

It seems I can't really take any special methods class in DCU with economics?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Well, just applied. :)

Anyone else for UCC 2011??

dory wrote: »

Well iv applied to NUI and dcu, I'll take either! Cork would be nice have loads of relations there!!
    Do you know when we find out if we got in?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It's usually around April when offers are made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

dory wrote: »

Yep, I applied to UCC last week. I don't really want to travel, trying to keep the costs down.

I wonder how much the points will be, I don't know how much of a chance I have with my 43,what kind of points do other people have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Hello. I am thinking of doing the PGDE but I don't really know if I can. I have a 2.1 degree in English and Philosophy, and a 2.1 Masters in Philosophy from NUIG. I presume English would be a subject I could teach, but I understand Philosophy is not acceptable. Can I do a PGDE with just English? If so, is it realistic to do so? Also, do you need leaving cert level Irish? I don't have this. Thanks for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Its fairly strange that people who are finished their degree and applying for the PGDE know so little about the process. I can understand Leaving Cert students or First Year Undergrads having questions but surely after being in College for 3/4 Years people would have done a bit of research on the course :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭roe_cat

is your problem that people are asking questions or that they're leaving it so late? i guess people don't research enough in advance because we assume it will be more straightforward than it is. Most people assume that once they get their degree they just have to click apply. Unfortunately lots of problems can come up - and if you're already in the process of applying it's usually too late to start looking for answers from colleges. Boards is a quick way to get answers and your help is appreciated - but if you think the question is stupid feel free to ignore it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

I dont have a problem, it doesnt bother me. Most of the questions are understandable. Im just surprised at the clear lack of research on the part of some people. Its as if they've decided to go into teaching on a whim, which is a bit worrying. Im talking about the minority here so dont be offended.

• Advertisement

roe_cat wrote: »
    is your problem that people are asking questions or that they're leaving it so late? i guess people don't research enough in advance because we assume it will be more straightforward than it is. Most people assume that once they get their degree they just have to click apply. Unfortunately lots of problems can come up - and if you're already in the process of applying it's usually too late to start looking for answers from colleges. Boards is a quick way to get answers and your help is appreciated - but if you think the question is stupid feel free to ignore it!

Theres one thing I have learnt from my TP: Assume nothing!

Its fairly strange that people who are finished their degree and applying for the PGDE know so little about the process. I can understand Leaving Cert students or First Year Undergrads having questions but surely after being in College for 3/4 Years people would have done a bit of research on the course :confused:

Thats actually stupid, its a tough process and who thinks about doing the pgde in leaving cert year or even first year of college?!? Personally I started researchin it in second year but thats because i was warned from friends how long and complicated the process is. I have done quite alot of research about it and i still wouldnt be able to answer about being able to do one subject with philosophy or not.

It is true that I have started my research late. There was something else I intended to do but unfortunately that is not an option now. I just thought these questions could be answered quickly here. I know the application organisation may inform me that one teachable subject is acceptable but this doesn't necessarily make it a viable career choice. Incidentally, I tend to make sudden decisions. I always have and it has mostly served me well to now. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭roe_cat

We seem to have been sidetracked - so back to your question
    Hello. I am thinking of doing the PGDE but I don't really know if I can. I have a 2.1 degree in English and Philosophy, and a 2.1 Masters in Philosophy from NUIG. I presume English would be a subject I could teach, but I understand Philosophy is not acceptable. Can I do a PGDE with just English? If so, is it realistic to do so? Also, do you need leaving cert level Irish? I don't have this. Thanks for your time.

Irish isn't needed for secondary. You could get on the pgde but unless your mammy is the principal I don't see you ever getting a job with just english. Sure you could be lucky - but it's a big risk to start out at such a disadvantage. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
    If you do really want to teach there's the option of adding extra subjects. Any chance you did a third subject in first year that you could add to? Something like maths with OU is an option if you really want to make yourself more employable - but obviously picking subjects you like might make it easier...
    I wouldn't hold out for Ireland to introduce philosophy for the LC - but other countries do - and I think it's on the european bac...(which i think you can do here - maybe in andrews and a few other private schools?) it's a long shot - but you could look into it.

Thanks very much roe cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭freckly

You will probably be asked to take special methods for SPHE, CSPE or ESL but remember that most schools just allocate those subjects to teachers to suit the timetable. I would imagine if you search the forum or educationposts, you will see that English is quite oversubscribed... It's not my subject though, so I am open to correction. You could also check out a h dip in religion in Maynooth, or a h dip business in Smurfit Business school, although they mightn't be the best of subjects either. I would seriously think about why you want to do teaching. I cant imagine its an easy Plan B, even if you do find a job when you're qualified!

I must look into the various h dips that are available. I am just Acels qualified to teach English as a foreign language, but I have no work experience outside of the course. Perhaps it would be useful. My folks are teachers, and I can see that it has been good to them. Maybe it's in the blood :P. I really don't know if it's for me so I hope to do some EFL teaching to find out. I also took History in my first year of collage so maybe I could teach that also. Thanks for your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 galwaygirl1234

Hi, I am hoping somebody may have been in a similar situation to me and may be able to give me some advice....

I have a primary degree in Physiotherapy. I am hoping to apply (late application) for the HDip in Science teaching but unfortunately my degree is not recognised by the Teacher's council. I have been in contact with the Teaching council who have told me I can apply for degree recognition but I was wondering if anybody successfully got a health sciences degree (ie: physiotherapy, OT, SALT, dietetics) recognised before I fork out €200???

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Got a status update from dcu saying I have to send them e certified copy of all my years results. What a nuisance, I already sent along my second year results which were fine and certified. I'm just wondering if that was a standard message they sent out or was it just sent to me personally because of some problem with my results. Anyone else get that update?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I had to ring up the TC to see what the status of my application was. They told me I had to send on some more info, but an email or something would have been nice!!! 200 quid down the drain....

Advertisement