Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-04-2009, 15:00   #1
tribesman44

pearl jam

anyone else into pearl jam here? been into them from the beginning and i celebrate their whole catalog. eddie's solo into the wild soundtrack was brilliant too. just wanted to see if anyone else out there is a huge fan. supposedly working on their new album now...its been 3 years...way overdue. cant wait to see what they put out this time. one of the things i love about pearl jam is their ability to be diverse and change with the times. ive seen them about 10 times in concert and you cannot beat it for the money and amount of songs they play.
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-04-2009, 18:46   #2
Notorious

I've only really gotten into Pearl Jam in the last few months. I've always heard their popular songs, but never gave them a proper listen. Got Ten around December and I think its an excellent piece of work; Jeremy and Even Flow being my favourite tracks. I've got Vitalogy too, but it hasn't gotten a proper listen yet. Any other albums you'd like to recommend me?
25-04-2009, 20:48   #3
deisedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
I've only really gotten into Pearl Jam in the last few months. I've always heard their popular songs, but never gave them a proper listen. Got Ten around December and I think its an excellent piece of work; Jeremy and Even Flow being my favourite tracks. I've got Vitalogy too, but it hasn't gotten a proper listen yet. Any other albums you'd like to recommend me?
I'd recommend "Live on two legs". Brilliant live album
26-04-2009, 00:45   #4

If you like Ten chances are you'll also like Vs. No Code is another brilliant album. It's a bit different from the previous albums but well worth picking up. Yield is also pretty good. The two subsequent albums, although containing a few class songs, don't really leave me with much of an urge to play them (although in saying that, I haven't been playing any Pearl Jam lately). The eponymous album rocks; really, really like that one. Anyone have Lost Dogs? Some absolute treats to be found there - Fatal, Hard To Imagine, Footsteps, Yellow LedBetter, Footsteps and quite a few others.
26-04-2009, 02:34   #5

Ten into VS is a great transition,very raw album.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-04-2009, 09:27   #6
tribesman44

Quote:
i am a die hard pearl jam fan, so im really into No Code and Yield. you cant beat Ten, Vs. and Vitalogy, but these 2 seem to fit what pearl jam is all about. you get a sense they finally found themselves with No Code and Yield. perfect mixture of upbeat songs, thrashers and lovely ballads. vitalogy SCREAMS out grunge to me though. i think its their darkest album. Ten and Vs. are just unreal and i think everyone loves those 2 albums. give it time and you will soon get into all their stuff. you just need to realize pearl jam loves to change with the times and experiment. thats why i believe they are one of the best bands out there. all great bands are diverse.
Thanks from:
26-04-2009, 09:29   #7
tribesman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by deisedude View Post
I'd recommend "Live on two legs". Brilliant live album
live on two legs is an excellent live album. the awesome thing about pearl jam, is since 2000 they have been releasing live albums of every single concert they perform. its awesome seeing them live and then being able to buy that same album to relive your experience.
26-04-2009, 09:34   #8
tribesman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzo View Post
If you like Ten chances are you'll also like Vs. No Code is another brilliant album. It's a bit different from the previous albums but well worth picking up. Yield is also pretty good. The two subsequent albums, although containing a few class songs, don't really leave me with much of an urge to play them (although in saying that, I haven't been playing any Pearl Jam lately). The eponymous album rocks; really, really like that one. Anyone have Lost Dogs? Some absolute treats to be found there - Fatal, Hard To Imagine, Footsteps, Yellow LedBetter, Footsteps and quite a few others.
i agree with you about binaural and riot act. although they are still good albums, they just dont compare with the rest. they both do have some very solid songs on them though. i think this time era was pearl jam's time to be experimental. they dont need to impress anyone since they will always have their base of diehard fans. their self titled album blew me away...it was like going back to the angst of ten and vs. i actually think that its heavier than ten and vs. their motivation for that album was the war in iraq....anger makes excellent songs. i also have lost dogs...great album. funny how some of those songs never made it on the albums. my only idea is that they dont really fit on certain albums. do you know about the mammason trilogy? if you play alive, once and footsteps in order its a trilogy. alive is about the kid finding out about his father and his mom molesting him. once is about him losing control and killing people. and footsteps is about him being on death row.
26-04-2009, 18:47   #9

I think I read somewhere that they made some of their poppier songs b-sides to avoid getting them onto the charts, or something to that extent.

Yeah I know about the trilogy, they're three great songs anyway regardless of the link.

Any word on the release date of the new album?
Advertisement
26-04-2009, 22:01   #10
tony1kenobi

Pearl Jam are just the best band in the world. Nothing really needs to be added to that.
26-04-2009, 22:16   #11

Quote:
Any other albums you'd like to recommend me?
If you really like Ten, I'd recommend you go through all the albums, in order. Have a good listen to all of them.

Listening to them in order allows you to really appreciate the evolution.
And as others have already said you're bound to really like the second album, Vs. Another really great album. Enjoy.
27-04-2009, 00:54   #12
tony1kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwirlsAllAround View Post
to them in order allows you to really appreciate the evolution.
Dow du dow da dun da Dow du dow da dun da.....it's evolution ba- beeeeeeey....repeat till pogo.
(2) thanks from:
27-04-2009, 13:35   #13
tribesman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monzo View Post
I think I read somewhere that they made some of their poppier songs b-sides to avoid getting them onto the charts, or something to that extent.

Yeah I know about the trilogy, they're three great songs anyway regardless of the link.

Any word on the release date of the new album?
no clue. typical pearl jam fashion it will be pushed back like a year, lol. par for the course for them. they have been in the studio for a few months already though and are now on their own label. so could be much quicker release than in the past. did you get the remastered version of TEN yet? my bro sent me it, but i still havent listened to it. the version of brother with lyrics ive heard though...good stuff
27-04-2009, 13:36   #14
tribesman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony1kenobi View Post
Dow du dow da dun da Dow du dow da dun da.....it's evolution ba- beeeeeeey....repeat till pogo.
im the first mammal to wear pants YEAAAAAAA
27-04-2009, 16:00   #15
hada

saw them live at Lolla in Chicago summer before last - it was only their second gig that year, and by god were they tight.

They do say a bands greatness is measured by how well they stack up live, well I'd have to admit that pj simply are one of the most fantastic bands of the last 20 odd years in live performance terms.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion