Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Compliance Cert, Commercial v PPR usage

Options
  • 17-10-2019 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Trying to work through a somewhat complex purchase, which perhaps someone here may have some experience/guidance on. Obviously working with bank, solicitor and surveyor in parallel.

Summary: Property has original planning for use as a single PPR. Currently broken up into a number of units and advertised as same.

Bank offer team have said a PPR mortgage can only be drawn down if they have sight of planning permission for use as a PPR.

Based on a planning search, it looks like the original permission from the 70s as a PPR is still active, and the vendors are using the property in a non compliant manner.

In the normal course of drawdown the bank will look for a certificate of compliance.

Question is if the bank looks for a certificate of compliance AND sight of permission for use as a PPR, how can both co-exist at the same time. We would need the vendors to apply for permission for use as commercial units (to get a compliance cert) and then before drawdown we need to revert the property back to the original active planning permission as a PPR.
    Or the vendors produce a cert of compliance to say it can be used as a PPR and they were using it in a non compliant way?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

fago wrote: »
    Trying to work through a somewhat complex purchase, which perhaps someone here may have some experience/guidance on. Obviously working with bank, solicitor and surveyor in parallel.

Summary: Property has original planning for use as a single PPR. Currently broken up into a number of units and advertised as same.

Bank offer team have said a PPR mortgage can only be drawn down if they have sight of planning permission for use as a PPR.

Based on a planning search, it looks like the original permission from the 70s as a PPR is still active, and the vendors are using the property in a non compliant manner.

In the normal course of drawdown the bank will look for a certificate of compliance.

Question is if the bank looks for a certificate of compliance AND sight of permission for use as a PPR, how can both co-exist at the same time. We would need the vendors to apply for permission for use as commercial units (to get a compliance cert) and then before drawdown we need to revert the property back to the original active planning permission as a PPR.
    Or the vendors produce a cert of compliance to say it can be used as a PPR and they were using it in a non compliant way?

The bank won’t release funds in this case until somebody puts their insurance and name on paper to say it’s in compliance with planning regulations.

Is it occupied?
    If not, some work needs to be done to make it a single dwelling rather than an apartment block.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Class 13 in schedule Of exempted development here? I am not sure of the current status of this schedule or whether it is amended but maybe a letter from a planner would resolve this?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/si/600/made/en/print#part2

Class 13 in schedule Of exempted development here? I am not sure of the current status of this schedule or whether it is amended but maybe a letter from a planner would resolve this?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/si/600/made/en/print#part2

A Planner won’t give an opinion on planning status.

Sorry, I meant a planner in the sense of a consultant who is a member of the Institute of Planners. (https://www.ipi.ie/consultants)

It is really a matter of what the bank will accept.

Sorry, I meant a planner in the sense of a consultant who is a member of the Institute of Planners. (https://www.ipi.ie/consultants)

It is really a matter of what the bank will accept.

Architect
    Engineer
    Building surveyor.

They will offer an opinion or tell you they can’t due to the current layout. This type of property only really suits cash buyers looking to retain the sub division.

If you are buying it as a PPR, then it needs to resemble a PPR.

• Advertisement

Well, in fairness, the bank aren't looking for it to resemble a PPR in this particular case, according to the OP. They are just looking for an assurance that there is planning in place for this use.

They must know that if you just pull out a few kitchens, it will resemble a PPR again.

Well, in fairness, the bank aren't looking for it to resemble a PPR in this particular case, according to the OP. They are just looking for an assurance that there is planning in place for this use.

They must know that if you just pull out a few kitchens, it will resemble a PPR again.

If it doesn’t resemble a PPR, no professional will issue a cert to say it is. I wouldn’t. I wouldn’t put my name or my PI on the line for it.

So yes, then bank are not directly looking for it to resemble a PPR, but the certification they require may mean it will have to resemble a PPR in order for someone to issue that cert.

The ball is in the vendors court here. They can either tell the op to move on, or get someone to issue a cert of compliance with the original PP. the problem is that the surveyor has most likely picked up on it, which means the solicitor will get wind of it, which means he has to tell the bank.

Is the building occupied OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

kceire wrote: »
    If it doesn’t resemble a PPR, no professional will issue a cert to say it is. I wouldn’t. I wouldn’t put my name or my PI on the line for it.

So yes, then bank are not directly looking for it to resemble a PPR, but the certification they require may mean it will have to resemble a PPR in order for someone to issue that cert.

The ball is in the vendors court here. They can either tell the op to move on, or get someone to issue a cert of compliance with the original PP. the problem is that the surveyor has most likely picked up on it, which means the solicitor will get wind of it, which means he has to tell the bank.

Is the building occupied OP?

Totally agree. Definitely with the vendor to rectify unless they find cash buyer. Banks will be very risk averse in these scenarios.

garhjw wrote: »
    Totally agree. Definitely with the vendor to rectify unless they find cash buyer. Banks will be very risk averse in these scenarios.

Why does he need a certificate of compliance? The bank hasn’t asked for that.

From my read the bank want to know whether the prospective purchaser will be legally entitled to carry out development he proposes.

Why does he need a certificate of compliance? The bank hasn’t asked for that.

From my read the bank want to know whether the prospective purchaser will be legally entitled to carry out development he proposes.

I'm reading from the OP that he is obtaining a PPR Mortgage. Its currently a Commercial property, therefore a PPR mortgage cannot be drawn down for it.

The OP states in his OP :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

Thanks folks - posts here have pretty much confirmed what I understood. I have already gone back to vendor proposing the course of returning it to 1 property, allowing them to get a cert of compliance and providing the necessary PPR usage for us.

The work to return it to single property isn't large, the whole downstairs is a substantial 3 bed, just need to open access to stairs again.
    Just depends on far you need to go (remove all kitchettes upstairs/more?) to have it certified as compliant by a surveyor.

Advertisement