Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Renting a room to someone but not at weekends. Advice sought.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

Antares35 wrote: »
    Are there any clauses in your rental contract about sub-letting?

As mentioned a few posts back. I have discussed with landlady. Also I initially had a lease for the first year but she chose not to renew it. I protested but on contacting the RTB I was told she is within her rights to do this and a lease is worth nothing legally. Their words, not mine. I was a tad flummoxed by this.
    For the past year I have been renting as first, paying rent on time and look after the place very well. I would be surprised if she would find the notion of getting me out appealing to her: possibly losing a months rent or so, re-advertising etc etc. I am a very good tenant and treat the place as my own home. I fix things without bothering her, rarely call on her to bother her unless something happens she needs to be aware of. Compared to a lot of people out there, she would be nuts to try and kick me out. I have paid the rental 4% increase no problems/contesting and expect and will pay the same again this year. (As I know she will up it - annoyingly).

So I am gathering even if she had an issue with it, she can't do much about it as she refused to sign a new lease which initially stated I could not consider this option. Also I am protected re. the 6 month tenants rights agreement. I can rent this place for up to 4 years after those 6 initial months. The only way she can get me out is to prove she is selling it or doing major refurbishment to it. And at that, she would still have to to offer it back to me after work is completed.

But that aside, I wouldn't have considered this possible option without her agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You can't sublet without permission regardless of lease or not.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You can't sublet without permission regardless of lease or not.

Yes. that's why I said I have her permission.
    I wouldn't do this unless it's above board and I have agreement in writing.

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies on this thread. Much appreciated.

Q though. A lot of people are saying that I shouldn't expect more than 650 max per month.
    Let's say at a brass tacks: Mon, Tues, Wed & Thurs night, aka 4 nights per week x 4 per month = 16. That equates to 40 euro per night.

Which seem very low to include wifi, bills, parking space, possible free meals etc. use of kitchen to cook, walking distance to 3 very good and desirable areas of Dublin: Ranelagh/Donnybrook/Ballsbridge etc.

If I was in this situ I would be expecting to pay no less (at least) than 50 quid per night, aka 200 per 4 day stay or 800 per month.

As another poster wrote: they will have all their stuff safe in their room over the weekend, it will basically be theirs and not entered. In addition: it's a private, warm, very comfortable and private house. With digital TV, in own room, a private double room, electricity and gas covered by me, and sole use of bathroom in mornings.

I'm not really getting what I would be expected to offer this to someone for less than 50 euro per night. And seems fair and reasonable to me.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Lesalare wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies on this thread. Much appreciated.

Q though. A lot of people are saying that I shouldn't expect more than 650 max per month.
    Let's say at a brass tacks: Mon, Tues, Wed & Thurs night, aka 4 nights per week x 4 per month = 16. That equates to 40 euro per night.

Which seem very low to include wifi, bills, parking space, possible free meals etc. use of kitchen to cook, walking distance to 3 very good and desirable areas of Dublin: Ranelagh/Donnybrook/Ballsbridge etc.

If I was in this situ I would be expecting to pay no less (at least) than 50 quid per night, aka 200 per 4 day stay or 800 per month.

As another poster wrote: they will have all their stuff safe in their room over the weekend, it will basically be theirs and not entered. In addition: it's a private, warm, very comfortable and private house. With digital TV, in own room, a private double roo, electricity and gas covered by me, and sole use of bathroom in mornings.

I'm not really getting what I would be expected to offer this to someone for less than 50 euro per night. And seems fair and reasonable to me.

Thoughts?
    I fully understand your point but take Mather rents as a guide. You can get a place for 900 to €1k and have access whenever you like. So for 4 nights you would need to take a good cut off that. But as I’ve already said, you need to include Sunday really

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    I fully understand your point but take Mather rents as a guide. You can get a place for 900 to €1k and have access whenever you like. So for 4 nights you would need to take a good cut off that. But as I’ve already said, you need to include Sunday really

Yes I understand and agree somewhat. But I am sure there are plenty of people out there that this situ would be ideal for.

I would find it hard to rent out the room for less than 50 quid per night be it Sun-Fri or Mon- Fri given the current rental situ and my own (!) ;)

To be honest the Sun night really isn't that much of an issue I'd be happy to do Sun eve to Fri eve. But I would be loath to do so for less than 50 quid per night which equates to 250 per week or 100o per month give or take the extra few days in a month.

A 1 bed apartment in this area now (shockingly) goes for approx. 2K now per month and that's 1K more for someone who has no need for it on the weekends anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yes I understand and agree somewhat. But I am sure there are plenty of people out there that this situ would be ideal for.

I would find it hard to rent out the room for less than 50 quid per night be it Sun-Fri or Mon- Fri given the current rental situ and my own (!) ;)

To be honest the Sun night really isn't that much of an issue I'd be happy to do Sun eve to Fri eve. But I would be loath to do so for less than 50 quid per night which equates to 250 per week or 100o per month give or take the extra few days in a month.

A 1 bed apartment in this area goes for approx. 2K now per month and that's 1K more for someone who wants to not be there on weekends anyway.

How much does a room in a house/apartment share go for? That is what you are competing against not a 1 bed apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Gael23 wrote: »
    But as I’ve already said, you need to include Sunday really

I still think you'll get plenty who can commute on Monday morning. I'd imagine many workplaces will be fine with people coming in at 10ish on Monday - they can work up the time if needs be

How much does a room in a house/apartment share go for? That is what you are competing against not a 1 bed apartment.

Given the additions I have included, I am surmising from looking on Daft and other sites, over the past 6 months: about 1K per month. Again, the point here I think some are missing is there are and has to be people out there who have no intentions of being in Dublin anyway at the weekend and don't want to live in a student house or 'flat share'. So the extras I am including would weigh up the non addition of 2 nights per week and 200 euro reduction.

Also the demographic of the tenant in question - older, professional, family in country etc etc. probably would prefer quality/convenience over cost.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Given the additions I have included, I am surmising from looking on Daft and other sites, over the past 6 months: about 1K per month. Again, the point here I think some are missing is there are and has to be people out there who have no intentions of being in Dublin anyway at the weekend and don't want to live in a student house or 'flat share'. So the extras I am including would weigh up the non addition of 2 nights per week and 200 euro reduction.

What additions apart from bills? Parking - do these other places not include that? Cooked dinners - most people prefer to cook their own. Why would someone pay €1000 a month to only have use of the room for 4 or 5 days a week when they could pay the same and get a room all week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

OP, pick a figure and advertise it - you'll soon enough find out if there's someone willing to pay it!

Like I said, you only need one person for it to suit......

• Registered Users Posts: 38 La.m

Put it up for what you want and if no one bites then you'll know you've priced it too high and can reduce it. I don't know the area but if parking is desirable around there you could consider letting out the parking space separately.

If you're looking for professionals on student type hours you could consider putting up an advert in the Law Society in Blackhall place for trainee solicitors. Those courses tend to be 4 days a week, would be an older crowd and there's a six month session followed by a 3 month session later in the year so you could get a taste of whether renting out the room is for you or not. I know people find it really difficult to find accommodation for those shorter lengths of time so they'd probably bite your hand off to get the room.

La.m wrote: »
    Put it up for what you want and if no one bites then you'll know you've priced it too high and can reduce it. I don't know the area but if parking is desirable around there you could consider letting out the parking space separately.

If you're looking for professionals on student type hours you could consider putting up an advert in the Law Society in Blackhall place for trainee solicitors. Those courses tend to be 4 days a week, would be an older crowd and there's a six month session followed by a 3 month session later in the year so you could get a taste of whether renting out the room is for you or not. I know people find it really difficult to find accommodation for those shorter lengths of time so they'd probably bite your hand off to get the room.

Great advice! Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tanit

Also the demographic of the tenant in question - older, professional, family in country etc etc. probably would prefer quality/convenience over cost.

I don't think anyone doing this right now has replied to this thread. I am going to reply as someone currently doing it: going to Dublin on Mon and being back on Thurs afternoon and working from home on Friday.

Someone doing this is already paying a mortgage or rent somewhere else, so the total they pay including this must be the same as renting a place/paying a mortgage in Dublin or else the figures do not work.

Second location, you speak about Dublin 6, someone doing this is not going to use their own car and would depend on public transport, you would need to adjust your price to account for how transport friendly you location is, closer to the Luas or frequent and close access to buses would be very important for them. The area being nice for someone that is going to be there only a few nights and does not have lots of things with them is not that important. So long as you can walk safely in the street is okay. Nice shops, pubs, schools, etc will have no effect in this person. You want to be in a safe place, everything else you leave it for the area you have your permanent address.

Other thing to account for in Airbnb you can find rooms with very good connection to public transport in safe areas for 60 or less. I have found in numerous occasions rooms (actually most of the time) for around 40 per night and if you only stay for 3 nights it works out at 120, 160 if you stay Mon to Friday. I speak from practical experience for the last 7 months. Good locations from the transport point of view not the centre but safe.

Meals might be a selling point for students, but not for most professionals (access to the kitchen would be plenty)

I'd be very surprised if someone wants to enter into at least 6 month agreement and pay 250 per week when there are rooms and studios advertised full time for that price, it makes no economic sense. I don't think you would be getting anyone serious paying those prices, at the first opportunity they will bolt, because is not sustainable financially. You only need to think about the salary someone needs to be earning in order to pay that level of rent/mortgage in total.

If you do it Mon to Fri and for more than 6 months outside Airbnb you can claim Rent a Room Relief and it will leave you the income as non-taxable. The maximum you can get in Gross Income (before any expenses) is 14,000.

It could be a good idea to maybe advertise it in Airbnb and see if you get regular tenants that you might not have issues with and would not mind sharing the apartment during the week. It will be very safe and if you don't like the person after a week or a period of time they leave. You will have to pay taxes on that income.

To the person that is saying that a friend is doing it and it is getting 900 per month, my guess is that is getting that amount from doing it with at least a couple of rooms not just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I actually did this for 6 months a few years ago and would agree with the post above. People who this suits most likely have their own commitments at home. I was travelling up Monday morning and back Friday afternoon, and really just needed a place to stay rather than all of the perks that you include. I may certainly be on the low maintenance side of who you're looking for, but price was more important to me than facilities as I wasn't really there for long every week all things considered.

That said, there's definitely a market for it and I'm sure it'll suit someone. Pricing as you want and then reducing if no bites sounds like a good approach.

Thanks a million Tanit and Bawnmore for your insightful and helpful posts. I will read through properly and take your points on board.

As mentioned from outset, this is all new to me and just trying to get as much, good, clear info as I can.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Thanks a million Tanit and Bawnmore for your insightful and helpful posts. I will read through properly and take your points on board.

As mentioned from outset, this is all new to me and just trying to get as much, good, clear info as I can.

Thanks again
    I don't know if it has been suggested yet but also check that your lease allows subletting.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So I am gathering even if she had an issue with it, she can't do much about it as she refused to sign a new lease which initially stated I could not consider this option.
    If you don't have it in writing that you can sublet, and she "finds out" that you are subletting, she can tell you to get rid of the sublet or she'll terminate the lease. You have a Part IV, and would be bound by the rules in the original lease.
    I am pondering the idea of renting it out however not for the full week rather Monday eve to Fri morning (Aka I want the place to myself Fri eve to Mon eve).
    Anyone who is able to drive to work on Monday morning won't need to rent.

Thus your market is those who'd need to arrive at yours Sunday evening, and go home after work on Friday. You can put a time that they can arrive after, for example 8pm, to ensure they don't come back too early for you, but don't have a stupidly late time as again, if they're coming from far enough away, they'll be probably depending on public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

the_syco wrote: »

Anyone who is able to drive to work on Monday morning won't need to rent.

Not necessarily. I know a few people who over the years would leave at the crack of dawn Monday / Tuesday morning (some worked from home some of the week) to head to work in Dublin, stay in accommodation like the OP is proposing or b&bs for a few nights each week. They valued their extra night at home so took the hit on the early start.

the_syco wrote: »
    If you don't have it in writing that you can sublet, and she "finds out" that you are subletting, she can tell you to get rid of the sublet or she'll terminate the lease. You have a Part IV, and would be bound by the rules in the original lease.

I've said 5 times I have her permission in writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Some young people work in dublin , leave on friday evening, come back on sunday night ,
    since most of their friends are in small rural town,s ,
    and it,s nice to go home , and get some nice home cooking .
    This phase last a few years or maybe until they find a partner in dublin .
    Also sharing a house with one other person can be convenient for some people .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I've said 5 times I have her permission in writing.

I think the point is that you would be advised to get the permission in writing. This means LL can't pretend to find out later, when it suits them to have a justifiable reason to terminate the tenancy. Also, will you be taking a deposit from the tenant to cover any damage they might cause? I'm sure the relationship with your LL is fine but things can turn quickly and if you only have your recollection of a verbal agreement to go on, where you are sub-letting and have assumed liability for the other tenant, you are leaving yourself open. Maybe I am cynical but I would not leave myself open like that, regardless of how good the tenant/ LL relationship is. It's just covering yourself. Good luck! :)

I think the point is that you would be advised to get the permission in writing. This means LL can't pretend to find out later, when it suits them to have a justifiable reason to terminate the tenancy. Also, will you be taking a deposit from the tenant to cover any damage they might cause? I'm sure the relationship with your LL is fine but things can turn quickly and if you only have your recollection of a verbal agreement to go on, where you are sub-letting and have assumed liability for the other tenant, you are leaving yourself open. Maybe I am cynical but I would not leave myself open like that, regardless of how good the tenant/ LL relationship is. It's just covering yourself. Good luck! :)

Eh. Sorry. But what part of me telling you I have her agreement in writing already, are you not quite grasping? #scratchinghead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Eh. Sorry. But what part of me telling you I have her agreement in writing already, are you not quite grasping? #scratchinghead

The part where you told me, obviously :) No need to be smart, only trying to advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

OP, it's important not to have an inflated sense of what you think the place is worth. There are still plenty 7 day house shares for less than a grand a month all over dublin. If bills are split 2 or three ways in a some-way modern house they wouldnt be much more than 120 per person.

Also, if you air BnB it you pay tax at the marginal rate so if you got 60 quid a night on air BnB you'd only need 30 a night via rent a room (ignoring impact of any allowable tax deductions etc).

I'd personally attach a premium to be able to stay in Dublin on a Friday and Sat night so would expect a 5 day rental to be 60-65% of a 7 day rental. Also, the person will realistically be a licensee and so have no rights so in theory should expect to pay less than being a named tenant on a lease but market dynamics at the minute would nullify this I'd expect.

I'd be amazed if you got more than 750 a month for a room under the terms you're proposing. Chance advertising it at 175 per week and see if people bite. You'll get carpet bombed with replies from people who won't have read the ad asking if it's available full time etc so ignore those obviously

The part where you told me, obviously :) No need to be smart, only trying to advise you.

Sorry. you caught me at a stressed out moment. I replied very hastily. My bad. Thanks

Hey thanks for all the replies. I've decided against the whole thing.

It's not worth it for me I'm only going to cover about 1/4 of my rent to lose most of my privacy and space for 80% of the month.
    I've never lived in a house share other than when I was in college for a few months. It's all too weird for me.

I'll maybe consider it again but for the moment I'm going to park it.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,996 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

You could still rent your parking space.. https://www.rent.ie/parking-spaces/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Couldn't blame ya OP

To be honest if I could afford to live on my own, even knocking a few hundred quid a month off the rent wouldn't persuade me to take on a new housemate - can't put a price on your own space

I absolutely despise house-sharing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

jr86 wrote: »
    Couldn't blame ya OP

To be honest if I could afford to live on my own, even knocking a few hundred quid a month off the rent wouldn't persuade me to take on a new housemate - can't put a price on your own space

I absolutely despise house-sharing!
    Have to say I agree with this!

When I bought my first house, I rented a room for a year and a bit - the money was lovely - but never, ever again, unless I had absolutely no other choice.

Advertisement