Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to buy

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Do you not have a ongoing fight with your neighbours ?

I do but that's not area specific, that could happen anywhere. Everyone else is positively lovely, kids playing on the streets, neighbours out talking to one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

elizunia87 wrote: »
    Thank you.
    Is there any area of Balbriggan that is better to avoid?

Yes. Avoid Legoland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Swords?Lusk?Rush?Donabate?(although that mightn't suit your budget too much)All good transport links, bus and train.Closer than balbriggan.Nice towns, nice beaches, plenty of life in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You are not going to get (1) a house (2) in a nice area (3) near to the city centre, for 250k.

Possibly none of those things for that money.

So decide what is most important, and maybe look online yourself.

Otherwise this is a giant waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Lumen wrote: »
    You are not going to get (1) a house (2) in a nice area (3) near to the city centre, for 250k.

Possibly none of those things for that money.

So decide what is most important, and maybe look online yourself.

Otherwise this is a giant waste of time.

This

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Please explain how you cannot afford a car but expect to be mortgage free in 10 years if you buy in the midlands for €150,000!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Please explain how you cannot afford a car but expect to be mortgage free in 10 years if you buy in the midlands for €150,000!

Annual railway ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

He's not gonna buy a car for starters! :pac:

There are houses for 250,000 Euro or less in Dublin 8 & Dublin 12, mostly 2 bed though.
    You should be able to find something OP

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

I would like to know your opinion on buying the house nice one, in Portlaoise with the price range 120 to 150 k Max, no need for renovation with deposit of 50k.

Nice quiet with one disadvantage of travelling to work. But then maybe when we Are 50 working part Time, or find the job outside of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Price range 120-150k including the deposit or the deposit on top? If 150 max overall budget you won't be getting anything in walk-in condition in Portlaoise that has 3 bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭elizunia87

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭YipeeDee

Hi,

Two months left to start looking for a house to buy.

You guys say Dublin 1 is dangerous, d15, crumlin, ballyfermot, blanch. Almost all of the one we can afford. The question is where these days is now safe where the kid is stabbed near Dudrum, the eara quite nice and expensive.

What possibly could happend or is happening that is dangerous. I am really really lost.

We have 250k budget. I am thinking even we go to Portlaoise, buy the house for 150k and be mortgage free in 10 years max.
    We want to get something asap.

BTW now we live in Dublin 8, the area not very nice for some of you but in my perception is okey. Yes, there are scums walking and loads of rubish but in general is okey

Please help
    I grew up in lower Ballyfermot. (The Inchicore end)
    Was very rough in the 80’s, gained a horrible reputation but not like that now.
    I still have friends there and regularly visit.
    I am speaking only about the lower end near Inchicore only.
    The upper end still is fairly dodgy IMO.
    They are ex corporation houses sold off to sitting social tenants.
    In the lower end, many of them are now elderly and passing away, so there’s quite a few for sale.
    It has become quite diverse in the last few years.
    People are buying them because of their proximity to the city centre.
    Next door to one of my friends an Austrian couple and German couple a few doors away.
    It’s relatively quiet these days, grandkids around on Sundays and oldies in the pubs.
    Quite a few funerals as the old neighbours pass away.
    A fair few people let rooms to the students from Ballyfermot College.
    I wouldn’t have a problem living there but, again I grew up there and have seen how it has changed.
    And again, I am only speaking about the lower end (Inichore end)
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I looked into Portlaoise 2 years back and got told all 3 estates that you listed here are on the rough side. Don't know if it got better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bbaja42

To follow up what OP asked, is there an area where you can buy a 3 bed house, still not too far from city center, without needing a car; but raising a limit from 250 to 350?

As example, assuming this is a nice neighbourhood, this tells me I still have some hope:
    auctioneera 1e-emmett-court-st-vincent-street-west-inchicore-dublin-d08-p2wd

3 bed , in what on google maps looks nice area, sold for 326

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

I sold a one bed apartment in Dublin 18 and just bought a three bedroom house off Monastery Road in Clondalkin for the same money.

I have a four minute walk to a Luas stop and 5 bus routes pass the house. The grand canal cycle path even takes me into Baggot Street in 25 mins.

I grew up in Clondalkin and never had it my head that I would move back for no good reason anyway. Have a look around Clondalkin village and the type of bars and cafes that are opening. You might be surprised.

Hard to pay over 300k for a 3 bed.

On another point a friend of mine who's an accountant from Donegal bought a house in Crumlin and is so happy with it hes bought a second.

I think Dublin is a bit odd in that in London if there were such huge price differentials between places that are beside each other say Crumlin and Harolds Cross , they would vanish in a year but in Ireland they seem to persist.

You'll get internet warriors who live with Mammy or rent a room throwing all sorts but walk out to places your interested in and have a look. A lot of these places are enormous and need to be seen to be best understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

bbaja42 wrote: »
    To follow up what OP asked, is there an area where you can buy a 3 bed house, still not too far from city center, without needing a car; but raising a limit from 250 to 350?

As example, assuming this is a nice neighbourhood, this tells me I still have some hope:
    auctioneera 1e-emmett-court-st-vincent-street-west-inchicore-dublin-d08-p2wd

3 bed , in what on google maps looks nice area, sold for 326

Have a look in D7 maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If you're willing to put up with the odd character D5 would be an option at 350K you'd be near enough the DART line. It's a working class area - in the proper sense of the term, where people actually work - but I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

If you're willing to put up with the odd character D5 would be an option at 350K you'd be near enough the DART line. It's a working class area - in the proper sense of the term, where people actually work - but I like it.

Would second that. Great areas in D5

• Advertisement

Thnx, I'll check out D7 and D5, and the above links
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Thank you.

We do consider Balbriggan in the "worst" scenario, when we will not be able to get anything close Dublin 8 or 12 ( our first choice). The houses you sent they are gorgeous.
    Is there any area of Balbriggan that is better to avoid?

Lots of houses in D8 & D12 with the budget you have

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/1e-emmett-court-st-vincent-street-west-inchicore-dublin-8-inchicore-dublin-8/4298146

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/159-donnellan-avenue-kilmainham-dublin-8/4342104

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/18a-camac-park-bluebell-dublin-12/4341280

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/kildare-road-crumlin-dublin/4310684

Any thoughts on houses in south end of Ballyfermot like
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/ballyfermot/225-sarsfield-road-ballyfermot-dublin-2077084/ ?
    What's the neighbourhood like?
    Transport to town looks quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 gerardmillrace

Advice of someone commuting to Dublin from Portlaoise. Avoid both Esker Hills and St Brigids areas like the plague if not too late. They are both kips. Feral kids wandering around at night time causing hassle. They are dumps. Cheap for a reason

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Asking if an area is safe on an internet forum is going to be all over the place, people with personal grudges against an area which may or may not have a basis in reality, or if the areas is generally considered mixed it might be grand for a male on his own but not so great for a woman on their own( that not discrimination its reality ) They need to check it out themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 gerardmillrace

mariaalice wrote: »
    Asking if an area is safe on an internet forum is going to be all over the place, people with personal grudges against an area which may or may not have a basis in reality, or if the areas is generally considered mixed it might be grand for a male on his own but not so great for a woman on their own( that not discrimination its reality ) They need to check it out themselves.
    Someone asked an opinion I gave an answer. Both are grounded in reality. Lady Garda beaten black and blue outside one estate. Burnt out house in the estate. Multiple social issues. If you don't want my well grounded view tough. It's a democracy and I am giving the poster an honest answer. Both estates are dives. If I can spare the poster the misfortune of experiencing that for themselves all the better.

Advertisement