Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Rich Beem got a sponsors invite this week and lies T18 after 2 rounds. You'd have to think he wasted a few years stuck in the studio. Should be well able to compete on the seniors tour next year.

He did well at the PGA too and he basically never plays competitively, he must've lost his passion for the game at some stage as he can obviously still compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,505 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Brandon Wu going along quietly at - 5, four back as I type. Wu is the fourth player from that pretty hot 2018 class. Woolf, Morikawa and Hovland all turned pro in the summer but Wu wanted to play the Walker Cup before turning pro so waited until the end of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Harrington going well this weekend not Padraig tho

Crowds look really poor, don't think there's even 20 people following the final group. Very weak field though, essentially a glorified Korn Ferry event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Dog Murphy

NDWC wrote: »
    Crowds look really poor, don't think there's even 20 people following the final group. Very weak field though, essentially a glorified Korn Ferry event

Bad day to have a tournament finale in Houston, both the Houston Astros and Houston Texans were playing yesterday.

For these end of season events the PGA tour really need to try and ensure at least a couple of big names are playing in every tournament, weak fields clearly don't help capture the public's imagination.Number of World Ranking points for winning yesterday was 24 which is the same number available for the Bermuda Championship which is an alternative event played on the Weekend of the WGC event in China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

NDWC wrote: »

Still an $8 million purse

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Remind me wrote: »
    Still an $8 million purse

Crazy that that's more than a Rolex event with all the shouting and roaring the European Tour do around them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Good start from Woods and Woodland in Japan

2nd round cancelled of the tournament in Japan.

Just saw some highlights of the first round and the crowds are seriously impressive looking has a sort of major championship look to it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

It's going to be a Monday finish now.

It'll be a seriously impressive feat if Woods wins this week, the field is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Would tie Sam Snead's record wouldn't he?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Would tie Sam Snead's record wouldn't he?

Yep, they'd both be on 82 wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Tiger going to get 82 today. Wouldn't worry about Snead's record.. the figure is farcical at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

HighLine wrote: »
    Tiger going to get 82 today. Wouldn't worry about Snead's record.. the figure is farcical at best.

Why is Snead's record farcical?

abff wrote: »

I imagine because the sport wasn't as professional back then and a lot of tournaments would have had very weak fields compared to the modern era.

abff wrote: »

- 6 of his wins were against fields of 15 or less, with one of those consisting of just 4 players.
    - 3 of his wins were 36 hole events and one was an 18 hole event.

HighLine wrote:
    What can you tell me about Snead's era? His actual tournament wins record is much higher than the 82 PGA tour wins, he had over 40 wins outside of the PGA tour in his professional careers not including seniors golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Advertisement

[HTML][/HTML]
    HighLine wrote: »

Thanks for that. Not sure I'd use the word farcical, but I agree that the total is somewhat exaggerated when measured against the criteria used to determine how many events Tiger has won.

eagle eye wrote: »
    What can you tell me about Snead's era? His actual tournament wins record is much higher than the 82 PGA tour wins, he had over 40 wins outside of the PGA tour in his professional careers not including seniors golf.

Tiger has 108 professional tournament wins.

Watched most of the third round last night, Tiger's irons looked very sharp and his putting was as good as I've seen it in years (holes 1 and 18 aside).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

And he does it, nicely crafted birdie to finish. Imagine what he would have done without the broken leg/shenanigans/back episodes

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Will he play the WGC this weekend?

I think hell gauge how he is feeling on Tuesday and decide then.

Love this video on tigers swing over the years

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1188825245060349956?s=19

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Love this video on tigers swing over the years

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1188825245060349956?s=19

That swing is remarkably similar throughout the years

I note that only 3 of the current top 10 in the OWGR are taking part in this week's WGC event. That must be a big disappointment for the sponsors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Its hugely disappointing but it has been this way for years.

They should bring a WGC to Ireland. Get rid of Memphis and put it on the links here in the Summer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement