Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mosquitos in house

• 19-09-2019 10:52pm

About 5 years ago mosquitos started appearing around this time of the year inside the house. I'm the only one who appears to get bitten and have built up a good allergic reaction to each bite. They seem to follow me and I often wake up with one above the bed.

Frequently I've killed mosquitos after their night feast and they are packed with blood. I'm sure they are mosquitos and taken the time to identify key characteristics.

Any ideas where they might be breeding, or how to get rid of them.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Stagnant water, of any depth. Even the amount of water that gathers under flowerpots is enough. It's strange because when they're present it's usually during the hottest months, rather than in the autumn.

As for getting rid of them... good luck (and I mean that). You can contain the problem somewhat with insecticide, but if you want to attack the larvae you need to get nematodes.

https://mosquitoreviews.com/learn/future-natural-control/

You can find them easily enough on the web.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As New Home says it's odd to have them indoors and at this time. Are you sure they're mosquito?

I've trapped live ones and compared to images, looked at flying pattern etc. Unless there are insects that are pretty much identical and extract blood in the same manner, they are mosquitos. I'll take an image too.

It's actually quite balmy in the house 23C, so numbers tend to peak around these temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Any old tyres around? They hold stagnant water.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

It’s not just me then. This is the first time ever I have mossies in the house and I have previously lived in the Caribbean for a number of years so I’m pretty good at identifying them and I also know what conditions they breed in. They were plentiful two days ago, woke up with a couple of bites, but numbers are down to almost nil today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Got bitten a few times by them. I have been bitten a few nights ago in Sandymount in Dublin.
    Killed one about a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Gruffalo27

We've just spent 30 minutes hoovering up about 100 mossies in our house been getting worse for a week now have removed all stagnant water but they are still coming its unbelievable how bad they are, never had this problem before, have citronella oil burning in every room but they pay no heed to it

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Think I've got a mozzie problem as well. They are everywhere. They are bigger than mozzies I've seen out foreign, a bit faster and they definitely don't seem to bite as much. They appeared at the start of September and are getting worse. Never before have I seen this and I've been living in the same house in Limerick for the past 5 years.

There also seems to be a load of fruit flies around the place for some reason. I thought they were baby mosquitoes but Google images says otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Squished one in the bathroom not too long ago, thought it strange to see this time of year also.

Fruit fly's probably from brown bin or compost heap.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I've had some mosquitoes in the house for the past week or so, too (Culex Pipiens - but for some reason they don't seem to be blood-thirsty, perhaps it's already too cold for them), as well as fruit flies, black flies, and those tiny little flies you get in compost. I'll have to get fly paper...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

New Home wrote: »
    I've had some mosquitoes in the house for the past week or so, too (Culex Pipiens - but for some reason they don't seem to be blood-thirsty, perhaps it's already too cold for them), as well as fruit flies, black flies, and those tiny little flies you get in compost. I'll have to get fly paper...

Yeah could be C.Pipiens. Might be just the male ones as they don't suck your blood - sound bais.

Never thought they could be male... it's obvious, now that you mention it!

Advertisement