Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I want to attract more bird species to my garden

• 08-10-2019 5:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭

At the moment I have a bird feeder with suet balls and as a result my garden is full of beautiful Tits of all kinds.

I of course love Tits -- who doesn't?-- but I'd like more variety.

What is the best way to attract a wide variety of birds?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Before even considering food, a garden will always attract more birds if there is sufficient cover for them in hedges, shrubs and trees.

Without going in to speciality foods aimed at particular species, like nyger seed for Goldfinches, the best start is to provide a decent general seed mix. Ensure that some foods, like peanuts, are in hanging feeders but that you also put some seed on a bird table and, if possible, on the ground. Many species will not use hanging feeders and will sick to ground feeding. Provide peanuts, but avoid suet or fat balls unless it is a particularly cold snap. Always have water available. Keep cats away from the area. Don't put too much loose seed out at once, to avoid the risk of vermin. Have patience, as sometimes it can take a while for birds to find a new feeding area. The numbers should increase as we progress into Winter and natural food is less plentiful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

Before even considering food, a garden will always attract more birds if there is sufficient cover for them in hedges, shrubs and trees.

Without going in to speciality foods aimed at particular species, like nyger seed for Goldfinches, the best start is to provide a decent general seed mix. Ensure that some foods, like peanuts, are in hanging feeders but that you also put some seed on a bird table and, if possible, on the ground. Many species will not use hanging feeders and will sick to ground feeding. Provide peanuts, but avoid suet or fat balls unless it is a particularly cold snap. Always have water available. Keep cats away from the area. Don't put too much loose seed out at once, to avoid the risk of vermin. Have patience, as sometimes it can take a while for birds to find a new feeding area. The numbers should increase as we progress into Winter and natural food is less plentiful.

Great info, thanks.

I hope I haven't been harming the birds by feeding them suet balls! :eek:

Great info, thanks.

I hope I haven't been harming the birds by feeding them suet balls! :eek:

Fats aren't very good for them in summer. It's empty calories and they'll wolf them down - like giving children sugary treats instead of a balanced diet.

Fats aren't very good for them in summer. It's empty calories and they'll wolf them down - like giving children sugary treats instead of a balanced diet.

Oops! At least I now know for next year. The regular birds don't look too unhealthy, but I guess that's because there's a lot of natural food nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

Vermin will come though,I stopped feeding nyger seeds etc

• Advertisement

Vermin will come though,I stopped feeding nyger seeds etc

I've fed birds all year round for over fifty years and only once, about 35 years ago, did we have any issue with vermin. And we are in a rural setting. The secret is to avoid leaving loose food overnight and avoiding spillage.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Nyjer seed seed will attract the widest variety of birds to your garden. In the winter I have goldfinch,chaffinch,redpoll ,greenfinch ,bullfinch,,linnet,siskin and brambling all fighting over the nyjer feeder .From November more birds will come to your garden

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

water birdbath , keep it clean

Keplar240B wrote: »
    water birdbath , keep it clean

I actually have one but the birds don't use it for bathing, more for drinking.

Why does it have to be clean? Surely natural drinking sources-- rivers ,ponds-- are not "clean"?

I actually have one but the birds don't use it for bathing, more for drinking.

Why does it have to be clean? Surely natural drinking sources-- rivers ,ponds-- are not "clean"?
    It'll be used for bathing during moults and sometimes when nesting. The important and more frequent use is for drinking.
    Being a small stagnant source frequented by several birds it can harbour disease so, just like the bird table and all feeders, it should be cleaned periodically. Garden feeding can cause a high concentration of birds in a small area, so it's important to guard against disease and cross contamination.

• Advertisement

It'll be used for bathing during moults and sometimes when nesting. The important and more frequent use is for drinking.
    Being a small stagnant source frequented by several birds it can harbour disease so, just like the bird table and all feeders, it should be cleaned periodically. Garden feeding can cause a high concentration of birds in a small area, so it's important to guard against disease and cross contamination.

Of course, but it rains so frequently here that I don't see the need to clean the bath regularly.

But I'll take your message on board and try to keep the feeder and bath as clean as I can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

At the moment I have a bird feeder with suet balls and as a result my garden is full of beautiful Tits of all kinds.

I of course love Tits -- who doesn't?-- but I'd like more variety.

What is the best way to attract a wide variety of birds?

Talk to them in Irish :)

Seriously though bird feed = inevitably rats.

Go carefully.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how inevitable is inevtiable?
    asking as someone who has been feeding birds for 15 years with no rat issues.

how inevitable is inevtiable?
    asking as someone who has been feeding birds for 15 years with no rat issues.

Had three feeders out the back. All going swimmingly. Then the dog going mad to get into underneath the decking they were on. Not long after saw two rats or the same one twice searching the deck for spillage the birds leave and another climbing the arch to get to the feeders.
    Just because you haven’t seen them doesn’t mean They’re not there.

Mine isn’t necessarily your experience I was just making him aware there’s a real risk.

Had three feeders out the back. All going swimmingly. Then the dog going mad to get into underneath the decking they were on. Not long after saw two rats or the same one twice searching the deck for spillage the birds leave and another climbing the arch to get to the feeders.
    Just because you haven’t seen them doesn’t mean They’re not there.

Mine isn’t necessarily your experience I was just making him aware there’s a real risk.

I did have a rat problem, so I moved the feeder to an out of reach location and that solved the problem.

Having the birds around is visually, audibly and spiritually so important to me.

The birds are so grateful and actively display it. I never realised just how anthropomorphic these creatures are.

I did have a rat problem, so I moved the feeder to an out of reach location and that solved the problem.

Having the birds around is visually, audibly and spiritually so important to me.

The birds are so grateful and actively display it. I never realised just how anthropomorphic these creatures are.

Of course they are

What are you doing about the spillage from the feeders onto the ground though.

Of course they are

What are you doing about the spillage from the feeders onto the ground though.

Nothing, because as long as the "francaigh" don't appear before me or invade my house, I couldn't give a fook. :o

Nothing, because as long as the "francaigh" don't appear before me or invade my house, I couldn't give a fook. :o

Just cos you never see them doesn’t mean they aren’t there.

It’s a very thin comfort blanket but here we are

Just cos you never see them doesn’t mean they aren’t there.

It’s a very thin comfort blanket but here we are

It's a bit like this forum then. You think asking a question about birds is safe and one just turns up out of nowhere. :o

It's a bit like this forum then. You think asking a question about birds is safe and one just turns up out of nowhere. :o

Go back to your chaos Irish language thread and leave the natives alone dear

Obvious is obvious

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Mod Note: Warnings issued. Keep it on topic on civil!

Advertisement