Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-09-2019, 12:55   #361
PropJoe10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayditch View Post
I think I may have listened to Fear Inoculum maybe 20 times through now (Not obsessive, I've just left the CD in the car and never changed it) and I have to say there is some delicious layering going on here.

I know people who are far bigger Tool fans than me and blasted through a torrernted version on their laptop speakers once and dismissed is as "nothing new" and meh.

Listen, this album is far from perfection. And when you're hitting the 13 year mark, "worth the wait" goes out the window. You have make peace with that. Or not. Whichever.

But here it is. This is an absolutely fantastic album that literally no other band could have put out. It drags in parts and explodes beautifully in others. It's NEW TOOL! It's old Tool. It's very Tool.

When Pneuma finally breaks properly at the end it marks one of the most rewarding moments in music ... ever. Up there with the end of Paranoid Android or Three Days BY Jane's Addiction.

7empest is a brick sh1thouse epic. No doubt about it.

Yeah, I guess I love it.
Couldnt have put that any better myself. It's nothing new, but there's parts of this album that reflect Tool at their very, very best. Each time I listen I get spine tingling moments and as you said, there's literally no other band (maybe in history) that could put out an album quite like this.

Album of the past few years, for me, and maybe for this entire decade.

P.S that bit in Pneuma where the guitar cuts across the bass riff at 4.00 and then into the vocal part is one of the best things I've ever heard from anyone. Big statement but I stand by it.

Last edited by PropJoe10; 29-09-2019 at 12:59.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-09-2019, 15:15   #362
Grayditch

There's no way to not sound pretentious when I say this but sher lookitt, it's the Tool thread, but I'm surprised by the amount of Tool fans I know putting up Facebook reviews of it before they'd even got through the whole thing.

It's a massive yoke full of nooks and crannies. I've only felt like I've really had a good look around it now finally.
29-09-2019, 17:47   #363
PropJoe10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grayditch View Post
There's no way to not sound pretentious when I say this but sher lookitt, it's the Tool thread, but I'm surprised by the amount of Tool fans I know putting up Facebook reviews of it before they'd even got through the whole thing.

It's a massive yoke full of nooks and crannies. I've only felt like I've really had a good look around it now finally.
I think maybe people are conditioned now to not give albums a proper listen. Tool albums need to be absorbed and digested over time. i still listen to 10,000 Days and hear new stuff that I didn't hear before, so I'm not sure how people could be qualified to give a proper opinion on Fear Inoculum after a day of listening or even after a single spin. Crazy stuff!
(2) thanks from:
30-09-2019, 22:11   #364
xerces

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropJoe10 View Post
P.S that bit in Pneuma where the guitar cuts across the bass riff at 4.00 and then into the vocal part is one of the best things I've ever heard from anyone. Big statement but I stand by it.
That bit sounds so dirty, in the best way possible
Thanks from:
01-10-2019, 12:40   #365
PropJoe10

I'm enjoying this album and Tool in general so much that I'm trying to find other bands that sound like Tool, but there really isn't any.
Advertisement
01-10-2019, 12:51   #366
frag420

Quote:
I'm enjoying this album and Tool in general so much that I'm trying to find other bands that sound like Tool, but there really isn't any.
For the weird time signatures I would suggest Karnivool, not as polished as Tool but worth a listen.
Thanks from:
02-10-2019, 16:06   #367
rickyjb

Quote:
I think maybe people are conditioned now to not give albums a proper listen. Tool albums need to be absorbed and digested over time. i still listen to 10,000 Days and hear new stuff that I didn't hear before, so I'm not sure how people could be qualified to give a proper opinion on Fear Inoculum after a day of listening or even after a single spin. Crazy stuff!

Great point. I've recently starting listening a lot to Reflection on Lateralus - it never really grabbed me before but now I can't get enough, the last few minutes are epic. And I've listed to the Lateralus album a good bit over the years, would probably class it as one of my favourite albums.

My opinion on Fear Innoculum is far from fully formed but I think it will stand the test of time as another great album. While it's not a huge shift in their sound or anything like that I think what it does is highlight how amazing Justin and Danny are, always thought Danny in particular didn't get enough credit for his skill and creativeness. Tool's strength is that they are all exceptionally good at their various instruments and are able to bring out the best in each other, most bands don't have this.
Thanks from:
02-10-2019, 16:38   #368
PropJoe10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyjb View Post
Great point. I've recently starting listening a lot to Reflection on Lateralus - it never really grabbed me before but now I can't get enough, the last few minutes are epic. And I've listed to the Lateralus album a good bit over the years, would probably class it as one of my favourite albums.

My opinion on Fear Innoculum is far from fully formed but I think it will stand the test of time as another great album. While it's not a huge shift in their sound or anything like that I think what it does is highlight how amazing Justin and Danny are, always thought Danny in particular didn't get enough credit for his skill and creativeness. Tool's strength is that they are all exceptionally good at their various instruments and are able to bring out the best in each other, most bands don't have this.
I'd totally agree. Would also add that I think this is Adam's finest album. Some of his guitar work is absolutely off the charts. Particularly in Pneuma and 7empest.
24-10-2019, 12:27   #369
Stiletto72

€70 from Amazon.de. Does that sound right? Seems very expensive, even for a double CD.
Advertisement
25-10-2019, 11:04   #370
Wrongway1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto72 View Post
€70 from Amazon.de. Does that sound right? Seems very expensive, even for a double CD.
It has a 4" HD rechargeable screen inside of it with a 2 watt speaker that'd do it cost wise yes.
Thanks from:
25-10-2019, 13:07   #371
PropJoe10

I paid $65 USD for it off the official Tool site so yeah the price there sounds about right from Amazon. It's a limited edition so nice to have for the collection!
Thanks from:
25-10-2019, 14:05   #372
frag420

Quote:
I paid $65 USD for it off the official Tool site so yeah the price there sounds about right from Amazon. It's a limited edition so nice to have for the collection!
So did I beginning of Sep and still waiting for the damn thing!
25-10-2019, 15:01   #373
PropJoe10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag420 View Post
So did I beginning of Sep and still waiting for the damn thing!
Yep! Glad I'm not the only one! The order says we'll be emailed as soon as it's ready to ship. Suppose there's a fairly long production timeframe on these, and they were having to run a second batch due to demand, apparently.
Thanks from:
30-10-2019, 14:55   #374
S.M.B.

Kerrang have started a podcast about big moments in music history told from the artists pov and the latest episode is about the recording of Fear Inoculum.

https://www.kerrang.com/the-news/too...-inside-track/

The first episode was about the recording of Korns debut.
(3) thanks from:
11-11-2019, 20:19   #375
PropJoe10

Has anyone heard anything about the shipping of the Fear Inoculum CD from the Tool store? Havent heard a thing since I ordered it in September!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion