Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Again, (again, again) it begins... (SU Elections)

15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

i voted for

andy byrne
    claire taighe
    bartley rock
    ray healy
    barry keane

i voted to bring back coke and said fo to the flag

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

President: Andy Byrne to get it comfortably, with David Lorrigan to get around 400 votes.
    Dep Pres: I think Claire Tighe will take it. I know a lot of people who didn't like the way Neasa went about the campaign, and are just voting for Tighe by default
    Education: Very very very very very tight, but I think Bartley Rock will take it, just
    Welfare: Ray, again by a whisker. Jessica Campbell to get around 400 votes, due to her being a fox. [I couldn't agree with the second statement any more :)]
    Ents: I hope it's Barry Keane, but I think Ed might take it. I'm really not sure on this one to be honest, but I hope Keane does take it. I think if the race went another week Keane would take it.

Irish Flag Referendum: Will pass, quite comfortably I think.
    Coke Referendum: No will win

I'm going to predict turn out to be about 3000-3500, I think it'll be a big turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

President: Like everyone else I think Andy Byrne will win this one
    Dep Pres: Claire Tighe, but a close race (I'm a little biased on this one ;))
    Education: Hard to know, but think it'll be Neil by the aforementioned ginger whisker!
    Welfare: Think it'll be Ray, if only Úna had gone a bit further in the auction. My opinion on Jessica Campbell is already known :D
    Ents: I think Ed will scrape this one, don't really care

I don't really know what way the referenda will go, but for the Union's sake I hope it'll be no on the Irish Flag and yes on Coke.

I'd say turnout of around 2500, hasn't been as much hype as previous years imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

President: Andrew Byrne, if not on the first count he will take it on the second. I'd expect his win to be largish. Surprised that John Tracey ran such a poor campaign considering it was his second time out.
    Deputy President: Claire Tighe without a doubt, but Nessa will still pull a vote.
    Education: Definitly the tightist race. I'd call Bartley for a win however as he just was more visible and the heavy amount of Cheesie-ness helped!
    Welfare: Hard to call but I think it will be a toss up between Ray and Una. Jessica will poll well after last night but I'd say most had already voted that we're there
    Ents: No idea

--

Irish Flag: Unfortunitly I think it will pass by about 80% but I'd expect alot of spoils. I think its such a joke to be honest and I was the only person to speak against this motion in the 2004 Council. If any flag is to fly it should be one of these two: Trinity's Flag or the EU flag. EU citizens have equal rights to attend a course in Trinity. If anything its an EU college and not an Irish one. Dirty Nationalism!

Coke Referendum: Interesting how this will go. Definitly a NO win but I think it might be by a much larger margin than the previous 2 referendums. Let this be a lesson to the Rightwingers that Students have choosen 3 times to support the Boycott of Coca-cola. Hope I'm not jinxing anything now ;)

I'd expect Turnout to be up by 1000 from last year as Referendums always pull more people to the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

President: At the risk of sounding repetitive, Andy Byrne, by quite a large margin.
    Dep Pres: Claire Tighe, again by a solid margin; she's a lot more personable.
    Education: Shockingly, I actually think Bartley might win this, though I'd say this will be the closest of all the races.
    Welfare: Una more than likely; Ray will have the nursing vote, but hasn't had any kind of presence on campus that I've seen.
    Ents: I really and truly hope Barry wins, but my prediction here is Ed by a good bit. He has BESS, and BESS votes really count.

Flag Referendum: "YES", by quite a long way. People tend not to think or be rational when it comes to nationalist claptrap.
    Coke Referendum: I'm really hoping for "YES" - I think the "No" supporters have been more vocal, but I think most people really don't care and would be perfectly happy to see Coke back, and when people are turning out anyway to vote, they'll vote no (as opposed to last time when, as I understand it, it was a seperate referendum and turnout was exceedingly low).

I'll take 3,120 in the Turnout pool.

Really looking forward to the count tonight, though I do feel sorry for all those going through it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

shay_562 wrote:
    Coke Referendum: I'm really hoping for "YES" - I think the "No" supporters have been more vocal, but I think most people really don't care and would be perfectly happy to see Coke back, and when people are turning out anyway to vote, they'll vote no (as opposed to last time when, as I understand it, it was a seperate referendum and turnout was exceedingly low).

Not quite - I was the Education Officer (and thus Commission secretary / chief runneraround) at that time. There were two referenda (1: to remove Coke and Nestlé bans, and 2: to adopt policy on cannabis) alongside the 5 sabbatical elections. Turnout was around 3,800; both proposals were defeated. (This is not to claim that I was responsible for it, it's just that I remember it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭mizz.yelof!!!

President: his presence is just the type of boost the su needs.
    Dep Pres: Claire Tighe, the girl has it if not truly on her fantastic personality but due to all the negative campaigning neasa did
    Education: neil has it hands down, and definately deserves it
    Welfare: shall be tight between úna and ray but please god it will be ray, about time the nurses get a chance to speak in college.
    Ents: obviously ill say ed, but think its going to be really close call both ed and barry have done great campaigning and either deserve it

Flag Referendum: "YES", by quite a long way. and thank god for that. about time is all i say.

Coke Referendum: I'm really hoping for "YES" - if you want coke drink it, if you dont then dont drink it. it annoys me how so much attention has been focused on the coke ban tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Just looking through some of the manifesto's online there. While I don't know her and I'm sure she's great, did anyone else find it strange that Neasa had listed second in her qualifications for the Record that she co-wrote an article for the UCD University Observer with her cousin last year? That kind of thing is better off left out - if that's put forward as great experience it doesn't look like you have much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Can someone tell me the exact format of TCD counts? As in...are the results announced faculty by faculty for each race? I know it's in a pub and the counting room is small but that's about it..

Vainglory wrote:
    Can someone tell me the exact format of TCD counts? As in...are the results announced faculty by faculty for each race? I know it's in a pub and the counting room is small but that's about it..

They don't give any breakdown on faculty by faculty other than how many people voted in each.

All the ballot boxes are emptied together onto a table and sorted out into each category - ie. Coke, Irish flag, Education, Ents etc

They then go through each election individually and seperate out all the papers for that individual race into Yes/No or Candidate 1/Candidate 2/Candidate 3 etc

For the elections it works on PR-STV so the bottom person is eliminated then their votes moved to the voters' second preferences. If more than one person can't possibly win with all the transfers of those below them then they are eliminated too and their votes moved to lower preferences.

Hope that makes it more clear :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

Andrew 83 wrote:
    They don't give any breakdown on faculty by faculty other than how many people voted in each.

All the ballot boxes are emptied together onto a table and sorted out into each category - ie. Coke, Irish flag, Education, Ents etc

They then go through each election individually and seperate out all the papers for that individual race into Yes/No or Candidate 1/Candidate 2/Candidate 3 etc

For the elections it works on PR-STV so the bottom person is eliminated then their votes moved to the voters' second preferences. If more than one person can't possibly win with all the transfers of those below them then they are eliminated too and their votes moved to lower preferences.

Hope that makes it more clear :)

Boo, in UCD they do it faculty by faculty which increases the tension in a close race.

So what time do you expect a result in the referenda to be announced?

Vainglory wrote:
    Boo, in UCD they do it faculty by faculty which increases the tension in a close race.

So what time do you expect a result in the referenda to be announced?

Sorting of papers starts at 7, I'd say that should be done by about half 8 or so going on the last couple of years. They should get through the referenda in about 15 or 20 mins each so depending on which is counted first it should be before 9.

EDIT: Faculty by faculty would be very interesting but I suppose it would also make the count a lot longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭osd

Results of the night...

President: Andy (1900 votes-ish versus 900-ish votes for John)
    Dep Pres: Claire by a good bit
    Education: Bartley by 250 votes after partial recount.
    Welfare: Una by a good bit
    Ents: Ed
    Coke: No vote
    Flag: yes by a good bit

All candidates won on the first count amazingly.
    I was one of the group counting the votes on the night. It was a fairly strange experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Glad to see Una got in there.

Hard luck, Neil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

Congratulations to all successful candidates and commiserations to those genuine candidates that missed out.

I voted for Rock myself and I know lots of other people did too purely because he looked far more nerdy than Neil in the photographs. This was the only position I really struggled to make a decision in and i honestly feel both of them could probably do a good job. I think if Neil would have put his name down for Dep or Pres he may have fun.... hard luck man.

Hard luck Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Yeah, that's a bit ****, but you should definitely try again next year, Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

I'd just like to confirm that I (Graham Ó Maonaigh) was flattered to be considered as a candidate. Learning that it was the case now, 13 years later. Brings warmth to my 💓.

gom wrote: »
    I can confirm that I'm not a candidate as I have to focus my energies on preventing the SU supporting Trade Union assinations in Colombia.
    --
    Graham Ó Maonaigh

It's always fun to relearn things :pac:

Advertisement