Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Inflatable Kayak uses?

• 29-08-2019 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've just been given an inflatable kayak, still boxed, 200kg limit. I've always wanted to sail/row and now's my chance! While it's a good quality new kayak, I have no boating experience at all and want to stay alive. How do I do this safely to build experience and enjoy it? I live beside a fishing lake in North Co Dublin and am near the sea.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Get your self a good bouncy aid even second hand from adverts. Inflatables catch the wind easily so stay off the sea go have fun in the lake but not if there is much wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Is it necessary to have wetsuits and the like?

Does anyone have two spare canoe/kayak lifejackets they're not using? Will pay of course.

I'm in Balrothery, but anywhere in Dublin is fine

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

You could just pop down to Marine Parts in Swords and pick up 2 for yourself, they are open tomorrow til about lunchtime

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Hi all,

I've just been given an inflatable kayak, still boxed, 200kg limit. I've always wanted to sail/row and now's my chance! While it's a good quality new kayak, I have no boating experience at all and want to stay alive. How do I do this safely to build experience and enjoy it? I live beside a fishing lake in North Co Dublin and am near the sea.

Any advice?

It’s handy enough once you get used to it but Would you not consider heading somewhere and getting a trip with an experienced kayak guide first? Plenty around just have a quick google. As said previously, stay off the sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im a total amateur but I have a proper kayak and I tried an Aldi or Lidl inflatable a couple of years ago, the difference is night and day, the inflatable was like trying to row through tar, they're kids toys compared to the real thing.

Thargor wrote: »
    Im a total amateur but I have a proper kayak and I tried an Aldi or Lidl inflatable a couple of years ago, the difference is night and day, the inflatable was like trying to row through tar, they're kids toys compared to the real thing.

Was probably underinflated. Makes a huge difference. Anyway this isn't a cheap one... the Lidl ones last year were €59, this was €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭Tow

Is it necessary to have wetsuits and the like?

When I was young wet suits were only see worn by divers on TV. T-Shirt and shorts were the order of the day. Don't ware heavy cotton such as denim. Light windbreaker (cheap light rain coat), if there was a cold/cold breeze. Or course now you can pick one up for only a few quid, so why not.

Life jackets/preservers have also come a long way. The insulation around our immersion was old cotton jacks with cork flotation and my father going up to get his nice warm and dry jacket to go out sailing.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Have the lifejackets now, bit of a relief. Been told I can't use the lake, thinking of Swords Estuary or Loughshinny, even Balbriggan beach?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If you are going to the beach, pick a calm day, with an in coming tide, and before you go in have a look for rip currents.... (shouldn't really be many rips if there's not many waves), and if possible don't go out on your own..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Malahide/Swords estuary is a good bet as there’s usually always kids out there on the water, meaning there are rescue boats around, and I’ve seen folks there kayaking often enough.

Loughshinny is relatively enclosed but I wouldn’t try it in any wind from NE around to SE. I’d say though that Rogerstown estuary would be a better bet than Loughshinny as it’s more enclosed & protected from the sea (at low tide its cut off from the sea).

If going out (anywhere) have a means to contact the shore, and tell people when your going, and when you’ll be expected back. I’m assuming you won’t have a VHF radio with you, so make sure to have a fully charged phone in a waterproof bag.

Malahide/Swords estuary is a good bet as there’s usually always kids out there on the water, meaning there are rescue boats around, and I’ve seen folks there kayaking often enough.

Loughshinny is relatively enclosed but I wouldn’t try it in any wind from NE around to SE. I’d say though that Rogerstown estuary would be a better bet than Loughshinny as it’s more enclosed & protected from the sea (at low tide its cut off from the sea).

If going out (anywhere) have a means to contact the shore, and tell people when your going, and when you’ll be expected back. I’m assuming you won’t have a VHF radio with you, so make sure to have a fully charged phone in a waterproof bag.

Thanks, very practical advice. Much obliged.

Think I'll give Swords Estuary a go, more public in case of problems. I presume that the west end of the estuary would be better for beginners (further from the viaduct currents)?

I'm probably overthinking things, a fairly calm day, lifejackets and sticking to the shoreline should keep me out of difficulty.

So went kayaking with my brother on the Broadmeadow Estuary, all went well, kept it safe and had fun
    Thanks for all your advice

Advertisement