Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Championship Tipping Competition

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

cdeb wrote: »
    So the final results are out. FMtoog unfortunately dropped out after round 7 (sounds like someone we all know :),

I've no idea how the tie-break was supposed to work, but as Tim predicted two of the top three, whereas murphysgambit only predicted one of them, I think Tim comes second last, and may hand his spoon over to murphysgambit.

Cheers to all for playing! ]
    Just to set the record straight that "someone we all know" was on medication which apparently "can cause drowsiness a feeling of fever and bad decision making". I told Tony Fox the day the tournament started that I was likely to lose every game and that I hadn't done any preparation whatsoever (I found concentrating or focusing for any period of time impossible). I also complained to Ivan a number of times during the tournament that I found the room too hot and too stuffy (again the medication probably caused this). To be honest, while I knew that I wasn't feeling right I didn't suspect that the medication could be causing it until I lost to Tim Harding,I knew then that either I had suddenly become senile or there was some outside factor influencing my form. I am now on a vastly reduced dosage so hopefully I shall start playing some decent chess again soon.
    As far as the tie break rule goes, the winner predictions only applied in case of a tie for the tipping title. A different measurement (too complicated to explain) applies when it comes to deciding the wooden spoon but I have applied it fairly and without prejudice and the result is that Tim Harding retains his wooden spoon title. In future wherever his name appears it should be followed by a large (W) in brackets :pac:
    P.S Thanks for keeping score cdeb!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Who was it said they never lost to a healthy opponent? :p

cdeb wrote: »
    Who was it said they never lost to a healthy opponent? :p
    In fairness, I did make my excuses BEFORE the tournament started as Tony Fox can verify and if you look at my games they were almost all caused by blunders or completely irrational moves. Also, in my defence, I had played very well in the Malahide tournament before this stuff kicked in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

We need mandatory drug tests before next years championships

L1m1tless wrote: »
    We need mandatory drug tests before next years championships
    Good idea, pity we didn't have them this year, they would have saved my rating from being smashed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

sodacat11 wrote: »
    Good idea, pity we didn't have them this year, they would have saved my rating from being smashed.

And to top it all a 4-0 Man U demolition on Sunday :pac:

Joedryan wrote: »
    And to top it all a 4-0 Man U demolition on Sunday :pac:

Yes, that was all I needed to complete my perfect storm even if Chelsea did play well and Utd had all the luck going.Maguire clearly pulled Abraham to the ground on the edge of the Utd penalty area in the lead up to the second goal but there is about as much chance of getting a referee decision against man u at old trafford as there is of Fox declining a draw offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

sodacat11 wrote: »
    Yes, that was all I needed to complete my perfect storm even if Chelsea did play well and Utd had all the luck going.Maguire clearly pulled Abraham to the ground on the edge of the Utd penalty area in the lead up to the second goal but there is about as much chance of getting a referee decision against man u at old trafford as there is of Fox declining a draw offer.

:) Maguire looks a great signing though, although will probably be a tough season for both teams, we'll see.

Advertisement