Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Foundations new build wire mesh corrosion

• 22-07-2019 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, looking for some advice .

New foundations have been dug and poured and iv discovered that double layer of mesh top and bottom is touching side walls of trench in places . The bottom layer mesh is supported by bricks keeping off bottom of trench in foundation.

Iv been told that because mesh is touching side walls in spots corrosion will take place and cause cracks in concrete due to exspansion from corrosion of metal .

Are cracks due to corrosion guaranteed or is it that corrosion may crack foundations due to exspansion from rusting process .

What options have I going forward .

I'm thinking my only option is to dig up foundations and start again .

Any adivce please I'm up walls with worry if I carry on with build the foundations may fail in years to come .

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Not my area at all but I wouldn’t be the least bit concerned.

I have been on building sites since the eighties and if rusty metal in a foundation was an issue there would be many a collapsed building in Dublin.

Have a look at how rusty the reinforced structural steel is in structures on large building sites before they pour the concrete. The “rebar” is positivity brown. These structural supports have to support incredible loads, yet the rust is not an issue. Have a look at the photo in this link:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebar

Your “mesh” is not different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

2011 wrote: »
    Not my area at all but I wouldn’t be the least bit concerned.

I have been on building sites since the eighties and if rusty metal in a foundation was an issue there would be many a collapsed building in Dublin.

Have a look at how rusty the reinforced structural steel is in structures on large building sites before they pour the concrete. The “rebar” is positivity brown. These structural supports have to support incredible loads, yet the rust is not an issue. Have a look at the photo in this link:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebar

Your “mesh” is not different.

No, It's clearly not your area at all.

OP, If you have concerns you should seek the advice of a professional.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Dunphus wrote: »
    No, It's clearly not your area at all.

.......which is why I stated that.

Take a deep breath, it’s going to be ok :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Newbie 19 wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for some advice .

New foundations have been dug and poured and iv discovered that double layer of mesh top and bottom is touching side walls of trench in places . The bottom layer mesh is supported by bricks keeping off bottom of trench in foundation.

Iv been told that because mesh is touching side walls in spots corrosion will take place and cause cracks in concrete due to exspansion from corrosion of metal .

Are cracks due to corrosion guaranteed or is it that corrosion may crack foundations due to exspansion from rusting process .

What options have I going forward .

I'm thinking my only option is to dig up foundations and start again .

Any adivce please I'm up walls with worry if I carry on with build the foundations may fail in years to come .

Who is building the foundations and who is supervising the works?

Advertisement