Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Lack of Balanced Coverage

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Where there is an issue reported with two sides to the story both sides are given equal coverage.

Please familiarise yourself with 'balance fallacy'.

The balance fallacy is an informal logical fallacy that occurs when two sides of an argument are assumed to have equal or comparable value regardless of their respective merits

rationalwiki.org

I'd suggest you avoid forming your opinions from blowhard YouTube idiots too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,318 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Where there is an issue reported with two sides to the story both sides are given equal coverage. I don't mind pro immigration voices being heard on RTE despite the fact I don't agree with them as long as anti immigration voices are also given the same amount of coverage.

So what? You want Gemma O'Doherty to be plonked down on the Six One?

Voices like that don't deserve equal or balanced coverage. There's no desire for a far right political party in Ireland - just look at the failures from the likes of Gemma, Renua, Declan Ganley and the rest. The national media is reflective of the national mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

RTE is a liberal south Dublin organisation and they love immigrants. They love when an immigrant arrives with their Deliveroo order. They love when an immigrant plays nanny to their kids for a low low fee. Same way they love travellers. I mean, they'd lodge strenuous objections if a halting site appeared next to their home but travellers give them an opportunity for righteous finger wagging at the intolerent plebs who pay their bloated salaries on pain of imprisonment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

They've never had a single person on the pro-pitchforking babies side of things, that's bias right there.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Op I would say at this point there is a number of ways this thread will go.

35 - 45 % chance - unsubordinated knacker bashing ( most likely )
    25 - 30 % chance - some sort RTE is full of overpaid chunts outcry etc etc Pat Kenny is a clown, Miriam O'Callaghan is feminist fundamentalist ( who is overpaid) etc . I might actually join in on this one if it develops.
    10-15 % chance - it's all the gubberments fault that Donald Trump is a sleazebag, he spends his entire afternoon with his hand's up his assistants' skirt etc - Varadkar is not really Irish etc.
    15 % - other unforeseen garbage - quite possibly Love island or even Wimbledon, it is that time of year.

If your lucky it could go time machine development or Orange march bashing ?

It is too early to tell... in fairness.
    Thread seems to have taken a definite turn. Next time OP post in Current Affairs / IMHO for better chance.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

OP , given the state of Irish media fundamentalism and it's irreverent stampede towards inverted pseudoscientific advanced cultural modelling, do you think that the departure of Brian Dobson was,

a) Sad
    b) A necessary evil
    c) A welcome relief
    d) Caitríona Perry's gain , ( apart from her weight that is )

RTE is a liberal south Dublin organisation and they love immigrants. They love when an immigrant arrives with their Deliveroo order. They love when an immigrant plays nanny to their kids for a low low fee. Same way they love travellers. I mean, they'd lodge strenuous objections if a halting site appeared next to their home but travellers give them an opportunity for righteous finger wagging at the intolerent plebs who pay their bloated salaries on pain of imprisonment.
    It's down to the strength of the VIRTUE SIGNAL that counts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

So what? You want Gemma O'Doherty to be plonked down on the Six One?

Voices like that don't deserve equal or balanced coverage. There's no desire for a far right political party in Ireland - just look at the failures from the likes of Gemma, Renua, Declan Ganley and the rest. The national media is reflective of the national mood.

She is a voice that is against immigration so she could be on talking about the issues assoicated with immigration. She doesn't have to be invited on about chemtrails or vaccinations though. RTE should either give balanced reports about issues or don't report on them at all.

If they don't want anti immigration voices being heard then they shouldn't talk about immigration in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So let her sue her parents. What I couldn't understand is how she got an education here; as I assume that, as an illegal, she didn't have a PPSN.

Don't understand that myself either, the Brazilians in Gort who everyone knows are overstayers seem to have no problem with the kids going to school.

Unless the teachers are turning a blind eye to their illegal status.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Out of interest I checked the total non-EU immigration stats from the CSO. 3.17% of the population is the total for every other nationality combined.
    Funnily enough if you multiply 3.17% by 10 you have about the total proportion of threads on boards.ie which are about immigration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

_blaaz wrote: »
    While completly unrelated to anything here....afaik max you can see into distance at sea is 12KM,due to curvature of the earth

You can see Dover from Calais and thats 40km. Dalkey to Howth is 10km and its pretty clear.

I imagine it could be true if its 1 boat from another boat 12KM in the middle of the sea, but you'd definitely see Coastline from 20k out, even if its relatively flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

the Stazi sorry State Broadcaster
    Second dubious comparison to the East German secret police here this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Don't understand that myself either, the Brazilians in Gort who everyone knows are overstayers seem to have no problem with the kids going to school.

Unless the teachers are turning a blind eye to their illegal status.

Are you actually so stupid that you think schools check the immigration status of students?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I see 'virtue signalling' has been cited.

Other terms trotted out by the rather dimwitted in favour of an actual argument:

Cultural Marxist
    Snowflake
    Esjaydoubleyew
    Libtard
    Feminazi
    White Knight

...and so on.

If they don't want anti immigration voices being heard then they shouldn't talk about immigration in the first place.

What if they're just reporting something that has happened? Do they need somone on to give an opinion piece about it?

I see 'virtue signalling' has been cited.

Other terms trotted out by the rather dimwitted in favour of an actual argument:

Cultural Marxist
    Snowflake
    Esjaydoubleyew
    Libtard
    Feminazi
    White Knight

...and so on.

The what? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

kowloon wrote: »
    The what? :confused:
    :D

SJW. Phoneticise, man! :pac:

:D

SJW. Phoneticise, man! :pac:

Ah, shag, I done can't read good. :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Mod

Moving to New and Media, Please read charter before posting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement