Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advise on learning to hunt deer

• 16-10-2019 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

I am looking for some advise on learning to hunt deer. I have mostly hunted pheasants and done a bit of decoying up until now, but want to get into deer.

Can anyone advise me on where to get information, training days, books, clubs, anything really to get me started. It's obviously a whole different ball game to hunting birds.

Ultimately I'm doing it because it is a great source of wild game for the freezer, so I would also be interested in any into on how to prepare carcass and break the animal down properly.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Richard308

You have to do a hcap or equivalent first. Wild deer and NARGC run them. You go from there. Join a syndicate for deer land or get permission from landowners with deer on the land. And apply fir Npws licence. And deer caliber rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Do you know anyone thats into deer stalking already?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kunekunesika

You don't have to do a course, there is other ways. Step 1 might be to try to get out with someone who stalks for a few trips. After dragging, carrying, gralloching a few times you might then have a better idea whether it's for you. If still interested you need to consider places to stalk, places to chill and butcher, vehicle and finally budget. Your place to stalk will decide if you need course, but no matter what you will need to learn a lot. YouTube only shows the magical few minutes of the shot, not the pure associated hardship,so don't go putting a deposit on your dream rifle just yet. Good luck and hope it works out for you.

You don't have to do a course, there is other ways. Step 1 might be to try to get out with someone who stalks for a few trips. After dragging, carrying, gralloching a few times you might then have a better idea whether it's for you. If still interested you need to consider places to stalk, places to chill and butcher, vehicle and finally budget. Your place to stalk will decide if you need course, but no matter what you will need to learn a lot. YouTube only shows the magical few minutes of the shot, not the pure associated hardship,so don't go putting a deposit on your dream rifle just yet. Good luck and hope it works out for you.

If you haven’t a deer licence prior to 2017 you require a hcap to get a licence I believe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Richard308 wrote: »
    If you haven’t a deer licence prior to 2017 you require a hcap to get a licence I believe.
    NOOOOOOooooooooooo..................................

For the love of God i wish this lie would die a death.

The hcap guys tried to push for a mandatory course for all people. It failed, mostly, miserably.

The Minister's exact words are:
    In that regard the Minister is satisfied that the most appropriate course of action is to consider the introduction of an appropriate training and certification process for first time applicants for deer hunting licences to commence from a date which will be determined in due course but certainly no later than 2020

A course will be introduced by no later than 2020, apparently, but as of this evening NO SUCH MANDATORY COURSE EXISTS.

In the process of pushing for their course to be mandaory it exposed the fact that you don't need a hcap for Coilte as any deer course will suffice (according to Coilte's own rules/regs) and they cannot refuse anyone with a similarly qualified course done (DSC1, DSC2, Country Side Alliance, etc). It means people are obviously free to do any course they want especially if they are starting out as they may learn from it, and more power to them. However it is not mandatory as of right now.

By the by feel free to spread the word.
    1. Here is where the Minister said a course will be introduced (but still has not been)
    2. Here is where we [the forum] reported on the falsehood of a mandatory course being a prerequisite.
    3. Here is where we figured out that by trying to make their course mandatory it opened it up for any group to run a course and Coilte cannot, legally, refuse it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

eoinmk2 wrote: »
    Can anyone advise me on where to get information, training days, books, clubs, anything really to get me started. It's obviously a whole different ball game to hunting birds.
    I shoot on private lands with no syndicate or club so my advice will be limited, but the other lads can help out with other stuff.

Start by finding someone or a few someones to go out with. As the lads said above pulling the trigger is essentially the easiest part. The work starts after this. From dragging, to hanging, to skinning, butchering, etc.

Courses, despite all the hubbub above, are a good source of information for complete newcomers who have little alternatives like going out with others. The courses such as the Countryside one in the MNSCI gets excellent reviews. It covers not only the shooting part but the theory part and even on site demonstrations of butchering. IOW no guessing at what is being or having to try and imagine it. You get actual hands on experience.

There can be no harm to reading some books on the sport, but what they are or which is best is outside my bailiwick. I learned from doing, going out with family and friends and for years never actually shot a deer. I done all the grunt work and when i was ready went for my license (deer license as i had the firearm) and then shot my first deer the same year.

Perhaps someone who has read a few books can recommend some good reading.

There is really nothing like hands on experience so i cannot recommend it enough. It'll be tough, be under no other impression, to get started. Barring you buy a lease (with everything that comes along with it) people are very protective of their deer lands and shooting and are hesitant to share. Don't take this personally as its not. We're all the same, myself included. Something ingrained into our fabric. :D

There are good few associations you could join, even if you're not yet shooting. There is no requisite to be a stalker/hunter to join. Other lads can give you an opinion on which to go for or the benefits of being a member of one over the other, but regardless of the association you'll get to meet like minded lads, learn from those with experience, and possibly get a day out (i know some groups arrange non shooting stalks/walks). I'd like to list some groups but don't want to get into the politics of them so simply go onto Google and type in "Irish deer stalking hunting associations" and you should get a decent list of various websites or as is the popular thing these days, Facebook pages.

The social media aspect is a good thing too. This forum is a general shooting forum, but on Facebook you'll find dedicated deer stalking pages. Join a few of them and get asking questions. After some time you'll be well enough known that you can start to ask to meet lads and perhaps even accompany a few of them on a stalk.

You'll also get notices of days out, meat handling courses, game days, etc.

I'm sorry i cannot be more helpful. As said at the start i'm a somewhat solitary shooter. However other lads are involved in the various clubs or syndicates so they may be more helpful when it comes to that aspect.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

I stand corrected. Good to know. It is a bit mad though. Theoretically get a deer license, rifle license and not a clue how to hunt. I met a guy recently, I was saying how it was hard work to get a shot and he said he” ah sure I find them grand under the lamp”. He genuinely believed he was allowed to shoot deer at night using a lamp. He wasn’t winding me up. A terribly nice fella after but didn’t know is all.

I stand corrected. Good to know.
    The above is not an attack on you, and nothing i say from here on however phrased is intended as an attack or anything like it, but the amount of lads that were fed this line of horses**t, and going by your post still think it's a "thing" is annoying and wrong.
    It is a bit mad though. Theoretically get a deer license, rifle license and not a clue how to hunt.
    How do you suppose people learn? How many courses did you do before you applied for your first firearm? I know i didn't do one. I learned from watching then doing.

I'm torn on the subject of courses. Yes they are helpful and useful to those without the same hands on teachers we had when we were learning, but at the same time i'd hate to see the sport turn into a huge bureaucracy where a course is needed for every aspect. The sport is finding it hard to gain new comers in the various disciplines and that includes fieldsports, so to put unnecessary obstacles in the form of mandatory courses for everything you want to do will further hamper it.

The OP is lucky enough to have the option to do both (hopefully) but it surprises me the amount of lads, mostly in the sport for a good while, that seem to be shocked that someone can just get a gun and start shooting when we all started the same way.

Hunting rabbits and other shooting sports will prepare most people for what is to come, but when it comes to deer stalking doing is the best teacher. The OP has said they have experience in other forms of hunting so the natural progression to deer stalking has to start somewhere and by starting this thread they have taken the first, correct step.
    I met a guy recently, I was saying how it was hard work to get a shot and he said he” ah sure I find them grand under the lamp”. He genuinely believed he was allowed to shoot deer at night using a lamp. He wasn’t winding me up. A terribly nice fella after but didn’t know is all.
    Ignorance/stupidity is not the same as ability. I mean what he is doing is illegal (unless done under a section 42), but does he miss the deer when he shoots at them? See the difference? His ability to shoot well is not determined, governed or limited by his ignorance on the laws or his stupidity for not seeking advice or checking if its legal.

Cass wrote: »
    The above is not an attack on you, and nothing i say from here on however phrased is intended as an attack or anything like it, but the amount of lads that were fed this line of horses**t, and going by your post still think it's a "thing" is annoying and wrong.

How do you suppose people learn? How many courses did you do before you applied for your first firearm? I know i didn't do one. I learned from watching then doing.

I'm torn on the subject of courses. Yes they are helpful and useful to those without the same hands on teachers we had when we were learning, but at the same time i'd hate to see the sport turn into a huge bureaucracy where a course is needed for every aspect. The sport is finding it hard to gain new comers in the various disciplines and that includes fieldsports, so to put unnecessary obstacles in the form of mandatory courses for everything you want to do will further hamper it.

The OP is lucky enough to have the option to do both (hopefully) but it surprises me the amount of lads, mostly in the sport for a good while, that seem to be shocked that someone can just get a gun and start shooting when we all started the same way.

Hunting rabbits and other shooting sports will prepare most people for what is to come, but when it comes to deer stalking doing is the best teacher. The OP has said they have experience in other forms of hunting so the natural progression to deer stalking has to start somewhere and by starting this thread they have taken the first, correct step.

Ignorance/stupidity is not the same as ability. I mean what he is doing is illegal (unless done under a section 42), but does he miss the deer when he shoots at them? See the difference? His ability to shoot well is not determined, governed or limited by his ignorance on the laws or his stupidity for not seeking advice or checking if its legal.

Not pissed off with you or annoyed at all. My own ignorance was not knowing for sure was it enacted in law or not to have a hcap. I am wiser now. I’m personally against anymore limitations on firearm ownership etc and licenses, courses for that etc. but leaving fellas loose with a 300wm or similar not knowing their arse from their elbow is a recipe for disaster if they haven’t a clue. Everyone is different no two people the same so one size doesn’t fit all. Bottom line is I’m glad I don’t have to make the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

but leaving fellas loose with a 300wm or similar not knowing their arse from their elbow is a recipe for disaster if they haven’t a clue.

But we have had decades upon decades of our current system and it's one of the safest sports in the country. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭eoinmk2

Thanks for all the comments, this has definitely given me a starting point.

I will look into some courses just so I can get the basics covered, but like a lot of things, just getting out and seeing it done sounds like the best way to actually learn.

I have one friend who might know of someone who will let me tag along.

It might be some time before I actually get to shoot myself, but this is something I want to get stuck into so I dont mind the drudgery and hardship if its worth it at the end.

Thanks again

Just so you know the above bit about the courses might seem out of place for this thread. Its actually important information not only for yourself, but for others in the same position.

Hope you don't think it's a bitch fest for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

I stand corrected. Good to know. It is a bit mad though. Theoretically get a deer license, rifle license and not a clue how to hunt. I met a guy recently, I was saying how it was hard work to get a shot and he said he” ah sure I find them grand under the lamp”. He genuinely believed he was allowed to shoot deer at night using a lamp. He wasn’t winding me up. A terribly nice fella after but didn’t know is all.

This HCAP crap is only a money spinning racket lining peoples pockets,

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

In my experience i started into stalking by going out with someone to show me properly how to stalk deer, learn the basics and then you can tweak your skills and become a better stalker, if you go out enough you'll get better at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BuckDan

eoinmk2 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the comments, this has definitely given me a starting point.

I will look into some courses just so I can get the basics covered, but like a lot of things, just getting out and seeing it done sounds like the best way to actually learn.

I have one friend who might know of someone who will let me tag along.

It might be some time before I actually get to shoot myself, but this is something I want to get stuck into so I dont mind the drudgery and hardship if its worth it at the end.

Thanks again

I can bring you for a day and show you , im 20 years at it and always willing to help new comers in the correct way

Advertisement