Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

I presume the greenway from Dungarvan is going to end near here

Correct

Its narrow here to force any cycle infrastructure through

Right again! Good news is that all this road has had planning approved for a realignment, widening and footpaths. Just where the greenway fits into this we're not sure but we're led to believe there is a solid plan to get the greenway in as far as Rice Bridge. Even if it had to be a shared footpath for this section, it would still provide the much-needed connection to the city centre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

hi5 wrote: »

Thanks for the link, but the length of ads on the RTE player before you see the video must be a world record!

Completely puts me off looking at RTE stuff :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Right again! Good news is that all this road has had planning approved for a realignment, widening and footpaths. Just where the greenway fits into this we're not sure but we're led to believe there is a solid plan to get the greenway in as far as Rice Bridge. Even if it had to be a shared footpath for this section, it would still provide the much-needed connection to the city centre.

That's very good news. The local authorities there seem to be well on board with this plan.
    I suppose its easier as the rail line closed more recently, I remember getting stopped by a train at the 2 level crossings on the n25.

So the greenway from Mullingar to Athlone is to open this July

Westmeath thread here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057416455

westmeath independent link

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭serfboard

So the greenway from Mullingar to Athlone is to open this July

Westmeath thread here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057416455

westmeath independent link
    A familiar, if depressing piece at the end of that article:
    The Garrycastle to Galway section of the project is already proving controversial as it is likely to require the compulsory purchase, by the local authority, of lands through which the cycleway will pass.

Several farmers who are likely to be affected have voiced their opposition to this and some local representatives claimed that developers of the cycleway are “attempting to bulldoze” it through.
    Apart from the hilarious turn of phrase, why is it that farmers never describe road building in this way?

It's not as if they couldn't do with the exercise a Greenway would facilitate, what with over 80% of them being overweight and with them being seven times more likely to die of heart disease than the rest of us.

• Advertisement

Maybe them being farmers might mean they already have land to walk, free from traffic?

The Article has a headline about 7 times more likely to die of heart disease, but no statistics to explain this. Maybe its because response times will be much longer for people living and working in rural areas.

It's superb progress on the route, I assumed this would be on the never-never.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭plodder

I see a planning notice in today's Irish times about works on royal canal path in city centre from the start at ifsc to Phibsboro presumably which must go through the Irish rail lands in between. That will be a significant addition particularly for commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

If it's anything like the Grand Canal route, it will be a huge success. Any word on how far west the route will go? Further than Phibsboro?

Aard wrote: »
    If it's anything like the Grand Canal route, it will be a huge success. Any word on how far west the route will go? Further than Phibsboro?
    It already goes quite far from phibsboro but not all Greenway standard. Eventually I think will go to Mullingar at least if not all way to Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

plodder wrote: »
    It already goes quite far from phibsboro but not all Greenway standard. Eventually I think will go to Mullingar at least if not all way to Shannon

If it gets to Mullingar, then the railway-line Greenway to Athlone will be the next stage.

• Advertisement

If it gets to Mullingar, then the railway-line Greenway to Athlone will be the next stage.

As I posted seven posts upthread, this Mullingar Athlone section will open this coming July

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭trellheim

Links for the DCC Royal route around Sheriff St

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-planning-planning-news/royal-canal-greenway-part-8

Pity its not an overbridge at Drumcondra and North Strand Road

As I posted seven posts upthread, this Mullingar Athlone section will open this coming July

Sorry, what I meant was if the canal bank greenway gets to Mullingar, there will already be a greenway to the Shannon at Athlone, rather than having to wait for the Royal canal bank one to open as far as the Shannon at Ballymahon or wherever.

Sorry, what I meant was if the canal bank greenway gets to Mullingar, there will already be a greenway to the Shannon at Athlone, rather than having to wait for the Royal canal bank one to open as far as the Shannon at Ballymahon or wherever.
    Longford to the Shannon at Clondra is already open. So, the only missing bit then would be Mullingar to Longford. They seem to be popping up everywhere. It's great news.

plodder wrote: »
    Longford to the Shannon at Clondra is already open. So, the only missing bit then would be Mullingar to Longford. They seem to be popping up everywhere. It's great news.

There's a hard surface from Mullingar to Coolnahay harbour, and east from Mullingar to co. Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

http://www.dublingalwaygreenway.com/2015/07/first-look-at-surface-of-mullingar-to.html

Although not complete by July as intended, the Mullingar - Athlone Greenway is looking like it will have an excellent quality surface. This 40km section of greenway will link up with 32km of greenway already emanating from Mullingar, more details here;

http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/ourservices/tourismartsrecreation/greenway/

Also, a website has been set up for the Dublin - Galway Greenway project;

http://www.galwaytodublincycleway.ie/

Westmeath seem to have delivered their end of the bargain. DCC have just ended public consultation on theirs;

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-planning-planning-news/royal-canal-greenway-part-8

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Also, a website has been set up for the Dublin - Galway Greenway project;

http://www.galwaytodublincycleway.ie/
    The Galway to Dublin Cycleway will form part of the EuroVelo network of long-distance cycling trails in Europe. It will be the first leg of the proposed Capitals Route (EuroVelo 2) between Galway and Moscow. For more information on the EuroVelo network see www.eurovelo.org.
    Impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

A couple more pics of Athlone/Mullingar Greenway on Twitter. They link to big versions.

https://twitter.com/PoggyG1/status/633702722961866757

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭TheBody

Can someone please mark on a map where this greenway starts in Mullingar and finishes in Athlone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Waterford to New Ross goes to planning in the next few months, it's hoped to have it finished in mid 2016.

If it was possible, the old New Ross - Macmine Junction and an even longer shot Palace to Bagnelstown would be nice, but I guess they've reverted to farmland..

TheBody wrote: »
    Can someone please mark on a map where this greenway starts in Mullingar and finishes in Athlone?

starts in Ballinea, Mullingar. continues on the Royal canal towpath to the Meath border

finishes in Garrycastle, Athlone. Less sure of the exact finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

jd wrote: »
    If it was possible, the old New Ross - Macmine Junction and an even longer shot Palace to Bagnelstown would be nice, but I guess they've reverted to farmland..

Yes, most of it is gone back to farmland but lots of it is still there, just overgrown. There are plans to develop the viaduct in Borris as an attraction..
    http://kclr96fm.com/development-of-borris-viaduct-as-tourist-attraction-depends-on-funding/
    Borris_Viaduct_2.jpg

finishes in Garrycastle, Athlone. Less sure of the exact finish.

Garrycastle is the end of this stage, but it will continue a short distance along the line to Montree later, according to the county council site:

The first section comprising of 40km is along the existing disused Mullingar to Athlone railway line. Construction commenced in September 2014 and this section of the Greenway is expected to open in July 2015.

The second section is from Garrycastle to Athlone Castle, again mostly along the disused railway line as far as Montree.

The Garrycastle finish will be somewhere near this bridge (streetview). I was expecting them to finish the railway section at the N55 Ballymahon road here, but Montree in the county council description sounds as if they will get as far as Dunnes here. That makes sense, since they will be a very short distance on public roads from the proposed new Shannon bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

I was cycling the Royal Canal Greenway around Mullingar yesterday and was able to access the cyclepath along the disused railway line. I went about 16km towards Athlone, as far as Streamstown (according to Google Maps), with just 1 road intersection. The first 4km or so is completely finished, then a very good tarmac surface (with maybe another layer of tarmac to go on top) for the next 12km. I'm just an ambling cyclist but my impression is that this track is very smooth, flat and straight. I could see someone wanting to test how fast s/he can go in time trial mode! When finished, it will be a great addition for worry free cycling. I can't wait to plan a proper day to do the full distance, there and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭pigtown

The voluntary group that developed and takes care of the Great Southern Trail have decided to disband as the workload has become to great. They have informed both Limerick City and Council ,and CIE but haven't received a reply. They will be gone be November.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭deisegreenway

whyulittle wrote: »
    A couple more pics of Athlone/Mullingar Greenway on Twitter. They link to big versions.

https://twitter.com/PoggyG1/status/633702722961866757

Thanks for sharing, this is really looking good.

On the Waterford one, almost all 48km are now underway...Tarmac near Waterford, Underpass near Waterford, Ballyvoile tunnel approach and Ballyvoile

Does anyone have any photos of the Carrick-on-Suir to Clonmel progress?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Lenton Lane

Greenway campaigners are pushing for the Athlone - Galway section of the Dublin - Galway cycleway to be run alongside the Athlone-Galway railway line. Putting such a path alongside the operational railway would impose speed restrictions on the railway and would mean no further passing loops or double track could be constructed on that section. It would also be in breach of IÉ's long term plan for the line.

Indeed you might as well suggest a cycle path alongside a motorway. Far better to run a path through borders between agricultural fields. Much more pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Far better to run a path through borders between agricultural fields. Much more pleasant.

this is what was being proposed by the NTA but farmers are objecting to having their lands cut in half by the greenway - possibly the railway is being looked at as an alternative. Farmers vote, Irish Rail does not.

Another option would be to use quiet L roads and build the greenway on the other side of the hedgerows (I've seen similar arrangements in France) - you'd still have to CPO bits of fields but it would be along existing roads so the farmers current objections wouldn't apply.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

loyatemu wrote: »
    this is what was being proposed by the NTA but farmers are objecting to having their lands cut in half by the greenway - possibly the railway is being looked at as an alternative. Farmers vote, Irish Rail does not.

Another option would be to use quiet L roads and build the greenway on the other side of the hedgerows (I've seen similar arrangements in France) - you'd still have to CPO bits of fields but it would be along existing roads so the farmers current objections wouldn't apply.

CPO of the side of the road would prevent ribbon development and the sale of sites - I do not think farmers would agree to that.

Advertisement