Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Yoga - South County Dublin?

• 28-01-2011 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Anyone know a decent yoga class in south county Dublin?

Thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jackpat

haha, I was going to ask the same question, but from what I could find, I couldn't find any. Also it seems that every yoga class out there is full of women it's interesting that your a guy. Anyway, I second your question

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

There's quite a few places in south Dublin. Sunrise in Dun Laoghaire and Yoga Dublin in Dundrum spring to mind. There's also the Yoga Rooms near Booterstown.

Sunrise, iirc, run a Yoga for Men class once a week. I think in general yoga is still predominantly seen as a girls' thing but most classes would have one or two chaps. Hey, Roy Keane does it so it's obviously manly enough for him!

Happy bending! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Mr Marri

My 2c as a bloke,

What qualifies as yoga varies enormously, I've been to two different places and had about 4 instructors in total. I was lucky when I started as I start with vinyasa style yoga, which is fast paced and fairly demanding, I would recomend this type for any bloke starting out as you won't be bored. If there is no vinyasa a good hatha classes is just as good, although I find all the balancing a pain in the a**e.
    My current class/instructor is completely different, waayy slower, we only do 2 poses a week, there is lots of talk of wombs and husbands and the class is referred to as girls, I think I go to this of a sense of stubornes :p. But I can garrentee you if this is what I had encouter my first time I would never have gone again.

So my advise would be to shop around but it is deffinity worth it. I have never found anything with so many cross over benifits for other sports and life in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 chevalfou

There's a good list of classes in South County Dublin at
    http://www.yoga-ireland.com/classes/dsouth.htm

See also

http://yogaholidays.net/magazine/choosing.htm for advice on choosing a yoga class

Happy streching.

I stretch happily allready thank you very much, can anyone recommend a good ashtanga(spell?) class in south dublin please. I don't mean to be offensive to the people who train here but that sunrise yoga place is fulla bull****.I wanna do a class where the people practice for the discipline not weight loss oor something

• Advertisement

jackpat wrote: »
    I stretch happily allready thank you very much, can anyone recommend a good ashtanga(spell?) class in south dublin please.
    I don't practice ashtanga, so I can't, sorry.
    I don't mean to be offensive to the people who train here but that sunrise yoga place is fulla bull****.I wanna do a class where the people practice for the discipline not weight loss oor something
    Please qualify your statement. What didn't you like about the place? What made you feel it was more about the weight loss, than the yoga practice?

to me the website of sunriseyoga portrayed itself as an establishment that placed more importance on the aesthetics of the practice and didnt focus on the discipline of the art. I dont blame sunrise yoga, after all it's only appealing to it's target audience,women who want to lose weight but are too lazy to just go outside and run. Excuse me if I sound sexist, i'm not. I'ts just down to my personal opinion, I like to see yoga as more of a martial art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Mr Marri

I like to see yoga as more of a martial art.

:eek: :confused: well I'm stumped!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭burrenyoga

I can personally vouch for Ciara Cronin or Michael Ryan at the Yoga Room (opposite St Vincent hospital) who are both excellent yoga teachers.

Or Colm Walsh at Dublin Yoga Studios (one studio in Ranelagh and the other in Dundrum).

There are many more good yoga teachers, but i have only mentioned the ones i have personally experienced.

Best Wishes,
    Dave

Mr Marri wrote: »
    :eek: :confused: well I'm stumped!
    I also! I have never come across this point of view before!
    to me the website of sunriseyoga portrayed itself as an establishment that placed more importance on the aesthetics of the practice and didnt focus on the discipline of the art.
    What's the difference between "the aesthetics of the practice" and "the dicipline of the art"??? Tbh, they sound like they could be used interchangably!
    I dont blame sunrise yoga, after all it's only appealing to it's target audience,women who want to lose weight
    Sunrise run a lot of restorative workshops and their main yogic focus is on hatha yoga. Both of these are lovely, but not exactly the fast paced practice which burn lots of calories! I fail to see from where you're getting the focus on losing weight from???!
    are too lazy to just go outside and run. Excuse me if I sound sexist, i'm not.
    I run and do yoga. I know a number of girls who do both. They do totally different things for your body and fitness. Running tightens a lot of the body (I find it tightens my hips a LOT) and yoga is an excellent complement to that. Apart from all that, people do yoga for a lot of reasons and I don't think it's your place tbh to question your classmates motives. It's hardly in the spirit of namaste, is it?
    It's just down to my personal opinion, I like to see yoga as more of a martial art.
    LOL, I think you might be alone there!

• Advertisement

Please don't forget that Yoga is over 5,000 years old and the corner stone of the whole yoga discipline is meditation, and the original aspirations and motivation was to transform gross physical animalistic human beings into more enlightened beings in tune with themselves on all levels, and in tune with the whole Universe.

I know that many yoga teachers these days are primarily teaching yoga as simply the physical postures, and some of these 'yoga teachers' are not even practicing pranayama or meditation or the Yamas or Niyamas.

But we should bear in mind that Yoga is a huge body of knowledge, and a huge set of practices and a way of life.

Many people start off practicing yoga for all sorts of reasons... including losing weight, toning the body, increasing will power, increasing concentration, or to help them relax or get in touch with the more subtle levels of themselves.

I believe that all the reasons are valid for taking up yoga, and if possible we should not try to look down on others for whatever reason is valid for them.

If they are practicing yoga with a genuine yoga teacher who has experience on all levels of yoga, the teacher will impart at some level benefits on many levels of your being. And many people who take up yoga primarily to lose weight, often go on to practice at much deeper levels after a few months of experiencing yoga taught by a proficient teacher.

I must admit that many yoga teachers out there are sometimes teaching yoga more as a fitness discipline, and it is well worth finding a good teacher if you are interested in the more deeper elements.

If you are looking for one of these yoga teachers who are practicing at all levels themselves, feel free to email be outside this Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DealDay

I stretch happily allready thank you very much, can anyone recommend a good ashtanga(spell?) class in south dublin please. I don't mean to be offensive to the people who train here but that sunrise yoga place is fulla bull****.I wanna do a class where the people practice for the discipline not weight loss oor something
    Did you find anywhere that does real ashtanga yoga in south dub?

Yes, David Collins of http://www.ashtanga.ie/ashtanga-yoga-dublin-teachers/

I have put my life's work into running genuine yoga retreats, and David is excellent and teaching from a genuine yoga background.

I wish you well with your practice.

Best Wishes,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Big Mig

Another option could be Ashtanga Yoga in Oscailt, Dublin South City Centre, on Pembroke Street, depends on where you are based and where in South Dublin you are talking about????

http://www.oscailt.com/body-works/yoga/

Have a look at the link above which gives a few options and maybe one could suit you?

Best of luck.....and hope this helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sarah_12

I am hoping to start a yoga class in Sunrise Yoga in Dun Laoghaire for beginners. I've not seen much positive comments about it on this thread though. Has anyone had any good experiences with it? I don't just want to start yoga to lose weight, I'm hoping it will help me to de-stress and sleep better also.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Big Mig

Sarah 12.

I practice Ashtanga Yoga, and started it for stress....I have certainly found it to be beneficial in that way and it has also had physical benefits too....They were a nice by-product of my main focus!!!

That was my experience anyway!!!

Hope this helps...

Sarah_12 wrote: »
    I am hoping to start a yoga class in Sunrise Yoga in Dun Laoghaire for beginners. I've not seen much positive comments about it on this thread though. Has anyone had any good experiences with it? I don't just want to start yoga to lose weight, I'm hoping it will help me to de-stress and sleep better also.
    I've been to Sunrise, but mostly for Pilates, I found it to be a lovely, calming space: would definitely recommend it.

Happy bending! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

Sarah_12 wrote: »

I have been to Sunrise beginners classes and loved it. One person on this thread seems to have taken a dislike to their website but I have been to at least ten classes and weight loss has never been mentioned by anyone. You can pay for one class at a time so you can try it out and see if you like it without having to sign up for a course, I started that way in case I didn't like it as I'd never done yoga before and I'd no idea what I was letting myself in for! Now I love it, definitely a convert.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sarah_12

Thanks for all the replies to my question about Sunrise yoga, Im going to give it a go anyway and I'll let all know what I think of it! :)

Advertisement