Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Medical students/interns/SHOs with disabilities/illnesses

• 09-04-2020 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all!

I'm looking to chat to any medical students/interns/SHOs with a chronic illness or disability.

Would anyone mind sharing their experience of training and how you found working within the health service? I am considering entering medical school next year to GEM and pursuing training as a GP all the while having a chronic health condition.

I would greatly appreciate some insights from anyone who has been through this process!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Ill be interested to see any responses you get from this - Im in a similar position. Ive secured a place for this year (gamsat score is high enough for any of the universities....limerick is my 1st choice I think....), but also have long term health issues and am in my late 30s. The main thing putting me off is the loans. Im worried that my health will deteriorate and I wont be able to pay them back. I have a job that pays quite well now, but medicine is something I have always wanted to do. Its a very tough decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 somebodylikeme

avalon68 wrote: »
    Ill be interested to see any responses you get from this - Im in a similar position. Ive secured a place for this year (gamsat score is high enough for any of the universities....limerick is my 1st choice I think....), but also have long term health issues and am in my late 30s. The main thing putting me off is the loans. Im worried that my health will deteriorate and I wont be able to pay them back. I have a job that pays quite well now, but medicine is something I have always wanted to do. Its a very tough decision.

Thank you very much for replying. At least I know for suere that I am not alone in this. The loans are extrememly off-putting, especially when you are already starting with some form of a disadvantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Grace13

I'm in the same boat as you both..Chronic condition being managed well but I worry about the night shifts and becoming run down and unable to keep up with the pace of it all. And the stress! I'm in my early 30s, thinking of applying for entry in Sept 2021.

I spoke with a consultant I know regarding my concerns and he advised to not let it stop me if it was what I really wanted. He told me that there were doctors on his team who recently had a cancer diagnosis, single mums with young children etc.

At the same time though it's a huge commitment and only we know ourselves.

Thinking of pursuing physiotherapy as an alternative but I'm not sure if it would be as meaningful for me!

If I find out anymore info I'll post it here!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

I now find myself in the clinically vulnerable/cocooned/shielded.....depending where you are. I was trying to decide between the UK and Ireland for GEM (mainly due to costs) but now I dont know if Ill be able to do it at all :( All very frustrating.

Side note - you would have to wonder why there isnt some financial support towards GEM now - given that they literally had to fly doctors back from abroad to staff the system during all of this.

avalon68 wrote: »

Side note - you would have to wonder why there isnt some financial support towards GEM now - given that they literally had to fly doctors back from abroad to staff the system during all of this.

I know right?! Ridiculous!

• Advertisement

I spoke with someone recently who is in the know. They said allowances can be made for disabilities or illnesses in terms of limiting or avoiding night shifts or similar other reasonable adjustments. However, there are no strict guidelines in place about this right now so it kind of depends on local arrangements.

Grace13 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you both..Chronic condition being managed well but I worry about the night shifts and becoming run down and unable to keep up with the pace of it all. And the stress! I'm in my early 30s, thinking of applying for entry in Sept 2021.

I'm also thinking of apply for Sept 2021. Where are you looking at going? I'd like to attend UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 MadMammy1

Hi, sorry for jumping in on the thread but I would love to know how you all got on and if you decided to go ahead with your applications? I am applying for Mature Entry Med and have a chronic illness. Hope you are all well! Thanks for any information you could provide.

Advertisement