Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily routine 3rd & 4th year

• 28-11-2018 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Im wondering what the hours and daily routine are like on hospital placements in 3rd and 4th year? What time do you need to present in the mornings and finish in the evenings? I am trying to figure out what childcare arrangements i need to have in place. Also how much time is spent on placements outside of dublin before graduating?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BeckiB

You'll have to be there for ward round in the morning which probably starts at 8.00

In the evening I imagine that you wouldn't have to be there after 5.00pm or 6.00pm after all you're a student and not getting paid and in any case I'm sure they'll understand childcare issues.

Regarding placements you'll need to check, some placements may require you to temporarily relocate to the placement hospital and live in doctors quarters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Pierre_Robin

Depends on the service. Ortho do earlier ward rounds (6-6:30) compared to resp. Same in the evenings, theatre can run late but they can let you go earlier. Clinic can be late too. By and large I wasn't in much later than six for the whole thing, usually around five pm. Sometimes a half day if they didn't have anything on.

Budget for five or six pm though, as it really can change a bit depending on the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 PhoenixD15

I asked this of UL and was told that there may be some night shifts required (think RCSI was the same) particularly in Obs/Gynae.

Advertisement